new on forums

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lincolns Mom, Oct 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lincolns Mom

Lincolns Mom Well-Known Member

After a dramatic weight lose Lincoln was diagnosed with diabetes on March 25, 2015. We were started on Lantus from the beginning which gave me hope he would go into remission. We started at 1u once a day then went to 1u twice a day. We continued to go up 0.5u each few weeks till we hit 3.5u 2x per day. He gets super scared at the vets (messes himself in his carrier if we dont rush him in and back out.). So we were only doing Fructosamine testing at the vet. He kept coming back as in the 350s. We held him at the 3.5u for a few months. But then the vet wasn't happy with the fructosamine numbers and we started the increase again. This time we went all the way up to 6u 2x per day. No matter what the frutosamine number wasn't changing. I had been reading posts on here from the beginning and i felt it was time to take action cause nothing was helping him. I went out and got a home tester for BG. I did a bunch of research and changed him over to a soft food diet that is only 4 carbs or less per can. And then i talked to the vet about dropping his insulin back. The vet agreed to try dropping it back to 3u 2x a day from the 6u he had been at. I have been testing and recording numbers and charting everything since then.

From Sept 5 till Oct 12 we had him at 3u 2x per day. Majority of the time he was between 16-18mmol/L with the occasional dip in the 15-14s and the occasional 20 showing up. Maybe once a week we would see a 20 and with us being a multi cat family usual meant he got into the crunchies.

I wanted to move him more into that 5-15 range so talked to the vet about going up to 3.5u x2 per day. He agreed that we could try that. So on the 13th of Oct we changed dosage to 3.5u x2 per day. And ever since then nothing has been right.

He tested at 12.2 the one morning. I still gave him his dose. In the month leading up to this he had tested at 11.6 and i had given 3u and he had only dropped to 6.2 so i thought i would be safe still giving him his dose at 12.2. Instead i saw him drop all the way to 4.1 and hide under my bed which he only does when he is really sick. I gave him a teaspoon of the fancy feast florentine and his numbers came up a little. But they kept going up and up and he ended up at 25.2 before starting to come down again. In the whole month+ before this i never saw anything over 20! Ever since then this last week he has been hitting a bunch of 20+s . Remember before at 3u he only occasionally saw a 20 and never over. I phoned the vet on Thurs the 20th of Oct and he was in surgery so ended up talking to the vet tech. She felt he was just adjusting to new dose and to continue to hold him at 3.5u till at least monday (tomorrow). She thought we would see a change this weekend but really we haven't.

I have 2 vets that are very easy to talk to and listen to my concerns and suggestions. I just need to talk to others that know even more and can help explain whats going on with my boy. I just want him to feel better and have a shot at remission. Thank you for reading my long long story lol

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

One of the things that can happen if the glucose drops suddenly, or drops steeply, or drops to an unfamiliar level, ... or any combination of these ... is that the body reacts as if the glucose were going into a dangerously low level. This triggers compensatory hormones to release stored glucose (glycogen) to raise the glucose back up, and then some. This response is called a bounce and the resulting higher glucose level can take 3 days to clear.

When you have a moment, could you add a few tidbits to your signature? It will help us give you feedback.

Editing your Signature

In the upper right corner of the screen, within the dark blue bar, you will see ID, Inbox, and Alerts

Click on your ID.

On the left, under Settings, Click on Signature.
    This is where you will put information that helps us give you feedback. You are limited to 2 hard returns, so separate pieces by | or -.
    This is where you paste the link for your spreadsheet, once it is set up.
    Add any other text, such as your name | cat's name | date of Dx (diagnosis) | insulin | meter general location (city and state/province) any other pertinent issues like if there are any food issues, history of DKA, hepatic lipidosis, pancreatitis, allergies, IBD, etc.

Click the Save Changes button at the bottom.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.