New, please help I'm so scared.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by shannonmarie7992, Jan 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shannonmarie7992

shannonmarie7992 Member

Okay so just to give you background, my 12 year old baby boy was just diagnosed with diabetes, kidney disease, and pancreatitis. He was at the hospital for five days, they said he was eating well and doing just fine on the 4 units of at home insulin they were giving him. When I got him he wouldn't eat and I needed to give him a shot. I ended up hand feeding him two small handfuls of dry food, giving him the shot, and leaving the rest in his bowl so I could go to work. I got home 3.5 hours later and none of the food was gone. About a half hour after that he was laying on me and he went unconscious for about 15 seconds with maybe 5 seconds of very slight muscle twitching. I kind of freaked out and made a little screech that actually woke him up so I immediately attempted to get him to eat. He ate a little more but not enough to make me happy so I gave him some honey on a spoon (which was all I had but he actually liked it so it wasn't a struggle). So the next morning he wouldn't eat again so I didn't give him his insulin. I called the vet who was super busy and couldn't talk so I talked to the girl at the front desk. She told me I reacted appropriately and to try mixing his new food with his old food. So when I got home, I did that and he ate about 2/3 of his wet food and some dry food. So I gave him his shot before work. He's been fine since then. Eating his normal amount and fine on his normal amount of insulin. He just seems to be sleeping so deeply that it concerns me. He's been a very good sleeper his entire life, so it's not the amount he's sleeping that's bothering me, it's the fact that I can pick up a paw and drop it a few times without rousing him. How do I tell if he's sleeping or unconscious? The way he passed out the other day, was he went from sitting up awake to falling over asleep. My biggest fear is that he will already be sleeping and slip into unconsciousness. I'll think he's sleeping but he's really passed out. I don't know if I'm overreacting and if he's always slept like this? But at this point the diagnosis has me riddled with so much anxiety if his tail twitches the wrong way I practically lose it. Please help =(

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome. I suggest you post your concerns on the Health Forum. More eyes will see your questions.

If you could add the type of insulin you are using, what meds you are giving, if you are home testing, and any numbers you have.

3. shannonmarie7992

shannonmarie7992 Member

Thank you, I should probably read before I post. I was just so panicky I posted in the first place I found!

4. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.