New Thread for Bandit's BG Test Day(s)

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Bandit, Nov 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bandit

Bandit Member

Ok,

So I didn't get to test till around 10:00am when I did it was 254. So I have him both (2) units. And a can.

The wife feed him around 5am, so he wouldn't come out for his normal 7:00am can. Would the early can have accounted for this higher number some 5hours later?

I laid down to take a nap and he jumped up to be with me, so I grabbed him. Did the BG test and the insulin shot all at the same time. He's aloof, but not combative, so you can just hold him down and carry him around (once you've got him). Gotta get a better method for getting a blood droplet, poor guy is becoming a pin cushion. I'll try the dry rice in a sock tonight.

I'm not really thinking about changing from Pozinc yet. The Dr. sort of just mentioned it since he was reacting so immediately to the Prozinc.

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope you can test him today and if he drops low again, give him some of the gravy from the gravy cans.

3. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

Good morning. We were hoping that you would post here before you sh0ot with your AMPS number. Since Bandit may be insulin sensitive, he probably should have a reduced dose, even lower than 2 units. I think in our previous posts, we were mentioning 1 unit but still wanted to see the AMPS number first.

So you may have a rather active day again. Will you be able to test at +2 or +3? Prozinc is a 12 hour cycle, so are you able to test and shoot again at 10pm tonight?

4. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

Sue brings up a good point. Can you get some high carb cat food (like Fancy Feast Gravy) instead of using the Karo. It is a little longer acting in keeping the numbers higher.

Here is a document for the Prozinc protocol. Please read as it may help you put things in perspective regarding Prozinc. Most new users start off with a much lower dose like 0.5 or 1 unit. Anyway, it explains in there. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/protocol-for-prozinc-pzi.109077/

Also great suggestions on food and diabetes info in general is found here. www.catinfo.org

5. Bandit

Bandit Member

I can't test today at +2, but the wife should be able to test at approximately +5.

Dr. said 2 units is still O.K and wants to see more numbers before changing anything. I'm in contact with her via Email and am reporting the numbers, and spread sheet.

6. Bandit

Bandit Member

79 at +5 the wife got it done. We may cut back on the dosage per Dr's orders. Depending on future numbers. We'll give him a rest from the testing till my next day off. And try and get a good curve then. Thank you everyone.

7. When you say "a rest from testing", you do still plan on getting the preshot tests before dosing? I hope? What did the dr. say as far as what the reduced dose should be?

8. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

It's important to keep testing before the dose...you don't want him to end up too low without knowing.

9. Sue and Oliver (GA)

We consider it too dangerous to dose without knowing what the level is. We would urge you to test before each shot and consider the dose carefully.

10. Bandit

Bandit Member

Oh no, I'm going to take preshot tests and possibly one interim at least. I meant a break from being a pin cushion all day.

Today he was AMPS=241, +5=79, PMPS=241. I'll try to test at +3 or +4 tonight.

I just won't be trying to get a full curve till the 25th (pesky job getting in the way). I've got the SS into the Dr. via Email, she wanted to see a few more numbers before recommending a reduction.

My only concern is if one of the PS numbers is lowish, then I'll have a decision to make. :nailbiting:

I feel like 1 unit would be safer, and perhaps that's what she'll recommend when she sees the latest numbers. But I'm a newb, so I'm going to stick with her game plan for now.

I can't thank you all enough. I'm starting to understand more fully the nature of the disease.

11. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

Good evening! Yeah, I am with you regarding 1 unit being better to at least start with. You can always increase the dose much easier than reducing. I know my vet was telling me to start off with 3 units 2 x a day. Fortunately, I was home testing and caught some mighty low numbers. After I switched vets and found a better one, I printed off the Prozinc protocol for him in which he really liked. So some vets are very open to additional information.

I know your vet wanted you to keep with the 2 units. Your PMPS tonight is a little lower than your AMPS so I am glad to hear that you are going to get a +3 or before bed test. If it looks like it is going to give you too low of number tonight and you need assistance, you may want to post in the Health forum as there are just a few of us tonight that are available. You were able to intervene well last night so you know what to do.

12. Bandit

Bandit Member

Well it happened. AMPS: 128

Called Dr., and she wants the 2 units administered. Feed him perhaps I'll leave some crunchies down before I go to work. Wife will be home soon to check on him.

13. Robin&BB

Robin&BB Well-Known Member

Kevin, you and your wife will definitely need to monitor Bandit's BG closely today. I'm sorry to say this, but your vet just advised you to put Bandit in a rather precarious situation, as a 128 pre-shot # on an AlphaTrak is simply too low to be shooting insulin.

In this situation, what you'd normally do is stall - withholding food - and retest in 15-20 minutes, as anticipating a meal can make your cat's BG rise. Sometimes it takes several rounds of continued withholding of the food and BG re-checks before it rises enough to shoot safely. But if it hasn't risen enough within about an hour of your normal preshot time, you generally just skip that dose.

Please be sure to monitor today; you don't want another hypo episode here. (Is good you left some crunchies out, however.)

14. Sue and Oliver (GA)

15. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hey Kevin, I am going out on a limb here to say that your vet is giving you some really bad advise. Unfortunately, a lot of vets don't know a lot about feline diabetes because they just don't treat that many of them as a lot of peeps euthanize their animal when they get the diabetes DX. The people here at the forum have had so much more experience with feline diabetes than most vets.

Your dose is too high as apparent for the two hypo episodes you had. After a hypo episode the protocol is to reduce the dose. You did not. Also, with a feral cat that you have trouble retrieving from under the bed, wouldn't it make more sense to be conservative with the dosing in the event of yet another hypo event? I understand you want to trust your vet, we all did. But the bottom line is that they just don't take the time to go back and get more instruction on this disease and what they got in school was probably a day's worth of information how ever long ago they went through vet school.

Please don't put Bandit at anymore risk to crash on you. Hypo events can kill. Or ask you vet to come and sit and monitor Bandit if he is so set on advising you such a high dose for a low number. A new diabetic cat should not shoot insulin 200 and under.

We are all just trying to help and keep Bandit safe and please don't take this personally. We all had to learn, some of us the hard way. We are just trying to spare you a heart ache. :bighug:

16. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Kevin, it sounds like Bandit is pretty sensitive to insulin, which is normal after a hypo episode. I'd advise your wife to watch him CLOSELY and, probably, test fairly often. I know you want to give him a break, but when he is getting insulin at such low numbers, it's necessary.

I know the feeling of wanting to do what your vet says, but I can tell you that I would never give insulin at that BG level..no matter what. It's very dangerous. We'd really like to help you figure out a safer dose for Bandit, if you'll let us.

17. Kevin
    Did you buy that AT2 meter from your vet?
    Please ask her what the "normal range" of blood glucose is on that meter.
    I am not 100% sure, but I am pretty sure she is telling you to inject insulin, and way too much insulin, into a cat who is within the range of normal BG. Which puts the life of your cat at risk.

I'm guessing that she's figuring that the food will push up his numbers, so by the time the insulin kicks in, his numbers will be higher. She may be correct. But it's sort of a game of Russian Roulette, with more than one bullet in the revolver. If his pancreas is functioning at all, the number isn't guaranteed to rise after eating.

The AAHA guidelines for dosing, which I pray she's familiar with, indicate that a dose should be reduced if a number below 150 is seen at any time during the day. Most of the numbers on your spreadsheet meet that criteria.

To be blunt, I don't know that she really knows what she's doing. If she does, then I don't know that she's doing a good job of explaining the risks to you. She might be of the mindset that cats on insulin can't go "hypo", in which case, you can find cases that prove her wrong right here on the board.

18. Robin&BB

Kevin - Please understand: Carl is 100% spot-on in his comments. I am a longtime AlphaTrak user; I know - without question - that you do NOT shoot insulin into a cat when the blood glucose reads 128 on that meter; you don't do it even at 150 (not unless you are VERY experienced, have LOTS of data to support it AND monitor like a hawk through the cycle).

Ask anyone here @ FDMB who has ended up with a diabetic cat in the hospital for (extremely expensive) treatment after a bad hypo: Too many had vets who gave advice like your vet just gave you.

19. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Kevin, I'm very concerned about Bandit. Will you post as soon as you can to let us know how he is doing?

20. Bandit

Bandit Member

I'm at work. The wife got a 79 at +5. It's the 4 hours in between that had me worried. I spoke with the Dr. twice too, thinking she hadn't seen the 128 on the spreadsheet yet. But through the secretary she wanted us to stay the course with 2 units. If it's that low again I'll wait and retest.
    Thanks everybody.

21. Thanks for the update Kevin.

22. Another option would be to have your wife log on to your account here in case she has a crisis while you're at work?

23. Bandit

Bandit Member

The only thing I can think of is the secretary was acting as a go between while on the phone. Perhaps something got lost in the translation.

24. Yep, it's irritating to talk through a third person when trying to get answers. I was lucky. My vet gave me her cell number and told me to call any time. I only did a couple of times but not due to a crisis in process. Just had a question before she got to work.

25. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Thanks for updating us, Kevin! Hope she can get another test in an hour or so just to make sure he isn't going lower. :)

26. Bandit

Bandit Member

Thanks for all the concern,

PMPS: 163 Administered 2 units.

I don't think I'll be able to keep my eyes open long enough to get an interim test tonight. Perhaps I'll try a +2 right before I go to bed. Then we'll go for +8 in the morning. I work horrendous hours that vary, the wife works 2 jobs. I'm going to have to give him his AMPS 1 hour early tomorrow and then again an hour more earlier on Monday, due to work schedules. I will test right before each. I just hope he's not lower than the 128 due to the hour earlier.

All my equipment was what the Dr. recommended. She spoke with us about less expensive human testing equipment if we had a budget, but I opted for whatever she recommended. I set the meter to 93 per instructions according to the label for cats on the tests strip. I also checked it with the control agent.

It's the morning number that's always "good" or at least low. But that seems to be the biggest problem. I suppose there could be worse problems like numbers that are too high. ;0).

27. If you aren't comfortable giving two units, shoot less. One advantage to Prozinc is that it offers flexibility on dose size, and with timing of shots, should you choose to do either. Usually if you are going to shoot early, it's not a bad idea to decrease the dose some too.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  28. No problem with the meter. My concern is if she explained to you what "normal BG range" is on that meter. Did she give you a number where she said "don't give insulin if you see this number"?

29. sherrib

sherrib Well-Known Member

following this thread close, my cat dropped to 39 two days ago. if I had listen to the person who answered the phone when I called the vet,my cat would be dead. I havent posted my story yet but i will. I know you want to trust your vet but even I am worry about bandit and Ive only been at this for about 6 weeks (again)

the first time around ( years ago ) with the help on this group, I got my cat into remission. I hope to do the same again.

Good Luck!

30. Bandit

Bandit Member

Hi,everyone,

Not really, or at least I don't remember her giving a number were we wouldn't administer insulin. At 400 when we brought him in, she probably never thought it would happen?

+10 : 107

I wanted to gear him back to an 8:00am shot because my hours at work are changing, but he's too low. The wife is going give him 1/2 can ,wait till 9:00 and retest, should be much safer then for 2 units, if sill low retest at 10:00am. I'll have to take a couple personal hours tomorrow to keep the 9:00am or 10:00am shot.

I'm going to email the Dr. Hopefully she responds. I'll ask if there is a "too low" threshold.

31. Sue and Oliver (GA)

If he is too low to shoot this morning, skip. It will let you get back on track time wise and it will let his body rest. It cannot be good for him to continue bouncing around with these low numbers.

I think you can "feel" our concerns. Your vet is advising shooting numbers that we think are too low to shoot, with a dose that we see as too high for the numbers you are seeing, and with results the AT meter site indicates are too low for results of those shots. We are fearful for Bandit and afraid his body cannot continue to deal with this. All we can do is express those concerns, as we have seen similar cats end up at the vet, getting supplemental glucose and sometimes being impossible to revive.

32. Robin&BB

Just so you know, Kevin: @Sue and Oliver (GA) helped me through some rough spots with Bat-Bat on ProZinc when we first landed here. And both Sue @ @Carl & Polly & Bob (GA) have been here as advisors for a very long time. I would strongly encourage you to listen to them, regardless of your vet's (sorry, but I have to say it) wrong-headed advice about shooting 2 units when BG is clearly too darned low to keep doing this safely. Please trust this: Neither Sue nor Carl would ever knowingly steer you wrongly* - and they both know a LOT. Am keeping good thoughts for you and Bandit. All of us here are rooting for you.

*(I suspect, if you follow Sue & Carl's excellent advice, your Bandit could be insulin-free - safely - a lot sooner than you might think could happen.)

sherrib likes this.
  33. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

What do you mean you set the meter at 93? I use alpha trac the only time I set the meter is if the number in strip bottle is different. Normally it's a 37 or 38 for cats.

If you have it set for 93 then I wonder that your readings are wrong.

34. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

No, I also use alphatrak and my current vial of strips is a 93 -- since I've been at this since August, the strips have all been 93 or 38

35. Bandit

Bandit Member

139 at +11

So better,

But tomorrow is going to be nerve wracking with both of us going to work in AM.
    I may take some personal time

36. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Kevin - It doesn't need to be so nerve wracking. It's all stressful enough, especially at the very beginning But you have to give a dose that you feel comfortable with and that is safe.

37. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

So you would be shooting in about an hour right? Will you please post the number you get BEFORE you shoot? We really really want to help you keep him safe...

38. Bobbie And Bubba

Please shot a lower and safer dose tomorrow Kevin especially since you have to shot one hour earlier.

39. Olive & Paula

Wow let me check the 2 new bottles I just got yesterday. I checked them both are 38. I've never had one higher than that for over a year now. Expires dates are good. At least I won't be surprised if I see future ones different.

Carol & Murphy (GA) likes this.
  40. sherrib

sherrib Well-Known Member

Same here with my cat

41. Bandit

Bandit Member

139 at +11

So better, not in crisis mode LOL.

But tomorrow is going to be nerve wracking with both of us going to work in the AM.

42. Bandit

Bandit Member

Hi All,

See SS for details.

Wife gave him some Karo at +5 in the AM today because he had slipped to 64. Dr. hasn't got a hold of us yet, hopefully she checks her emails early tomorrow. I'm going to try and shoot a little early tonight (testing first of course), we have to get back to a 7am/7pm schedule, because that's the only realistic one that will work all the time for the long run.

43. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Kevin, how much are you going to shoot ? You should not be shooting anything with a 139 preshot. You've had 2 documented hypos in 4 days, and probably on the other days except there weren't tests. Clearly 2 units is way too much.

44. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Carol is correct. You really need to not shoot anything at that number.

45. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

Hey Kevin, since you are already feeling a stressed about leaving tomorrow and in shooting possibly a low number like the ones that you have received or lower, you can always reduce your dose to like 0.50u or 1u (depending on the number) or even skip the shot. It is only one cycle and your risk of a hypo could be minimized. Let your gut tell you what you are comfortable with. If you are stressed and are feeling uneasy, there is a reason for that.

46. Bandit

Bandit Member

Hi
    +4=64
    +5 (1/2 can and a small teaspoon of Karo)
    +6=101.
    +10=132

And I only have one test strip left o_O. We didn't notice it running low as we pulled them out. I'm hoping the Vets has test strips I can purchase from them tomorrow. Worst case scenario I'll get a human meter and figure out the conversion(?).

So we're going to shoot 2units at 12hours (10:00pm). At PMPS he's always the highest. The wife is going to work from home tomorrow morning, and she'll test at +11 or at AMPS with the last test strip. We'll have to try and adjust the 12hr time the next two nights. He's also getting kind of sensitive around the ears, even though we're getting quicker and better at testing.

I'm sure we'll here from the Dr, or we'll call her tomorrow and get her input. That will tell me a lot about how I want to proceed.

He's batting a ping pong ball around right now.

47. Definitely get strips, you can't keep shooting after you run out of strips. He could be at 90 and you won't know it. A relion meter and strips (I think you can buy a box of 20?) can probably be had for $30 bucks at wallyworld. I'm not sure, I haven't bought any in over 2 years.
    The "conversion" is simple. Just about everyone here, and all our charts, protocols, etc. are "set up" for human meter numbers. There isn't a clear cut "conversion" however. But "we" all understand human meter numbers better than pet meter numbers. And if it's a short term thing, if you plan on staying with the AT2 once you can get strips, it's only a few days of "confusion".

48. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Nothing to convert.
    For ProZinc, don't go below 50 mg/dL on a human meter and don't shoot below 150 mg/dL on a human meter unless and until you have mid-cycle test data showing it would be safe.

49. Bandit

Bandit Member

4am

No signs of any low BG. He's spunky and prowling around. Dunno what got me up this early. I'll grab a coffee, keep an eye on him, then get some sleep before work.

Thanks everyone.

50. Bandit

Bandit Member

Whew,

Took me about 20 phone calls to vets, but I found a place that sold strips for my meter. We're going to take a break from testing other than in the morning and when ever Bandit seems comfortable. He's getting skittish at any attempt to coral him. He still doesn't put up a fight once we get him because he's so gentle, but testing sends him into hiding for over an hour sometimes if it's repetitive. With the Wednesday curve coming up we don't want him to become impossible to handle. Dr. felt it was most important to get that day in. His night time numbers are consistently high enough not to need a PMPS. But morning we'll still make sure he's not too low, if it's lower than 180 Dr. wants the dosage reduce to 1.5.u.

So don't worry if I'm not posting BGs, as often as before, we're in frequent contact with the Dr. and keeping a close eye on the squirmy little guy.

I promise.

51. Thanks for the update Kevin!

52. Bandit

Bandit Member

Hi everyone,:woot:

We're not going to do a curve today.

Since one of us or both have the day off between now and next Thursday, we're going to use observing him as our monitoring method (per Dr.'s Orders). She felt the additional stress of testing could be throwing off his numbers. She'd rather let the new dosage sink in minus the stress factor and then go for some hard numbers after the break.

I have today off, work Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, then have Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday off. My wife has the normal long weekend off (grrrr I'm jealous), Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Between those days and Thanksgiving there will be someone around him nearly constantly (other than short errands out of the house).

It took my wife 4 years of holding and hugging Bandit (sometimes against his will ;)) to get him acclimated to her (and others to some extent). Hers is the only lap he will jump into willingly, other than a short nightly visit to me at bedtime. He will sit in her lap for an hour straight when the two are home alone. He's been avoiding her like the plague and it's breaking her heart, and stressing him out. Not good for all involved.

We will diligently observe him during this time, I promise we're not being callous or reckless in our actions. I know how concerned you all are, and don't want you to think we've given up on him. That will not happen.

53. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update and information. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

54. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Yes Kevin thanks for the update. This illness is stressful enough for both kitty and their beans, and it is important to keep kitty's quality of life issues front and center. I too wish you a wonderful (and uneventful Bandit-wise) Thanksgiving
    @Merlin - what are you doing up at this time of the morning - its your middle of the night

55. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

@Carol & Murphy - Well because Merlin threw me a couple of lower PMPS numbers so I am shooting earlier. I don't like to shoot after 6pm because I go to bed early so today I tried 5am. Unfortunately, I think I got some fur this morning....maybe still was asleep. Then I go right back to bed! :)

56. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You might find some of the Secondary Monitoring Tools in my signature link helpful in assessing him.

57. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

58. Bandit

Bandit Member

Update:

Had to skip the monitoring day due to a job interviews. Yeah!!! Not that I'm unemployed but my job now isn't anything to write home about. Periodically tested Bandit, but not enough to chart, never below a 70 and never above a 140. Dr. says he's really taking well to the new dosage. Visually he showed no adverse signs this entire stretch of time. He's playful, snuggly (for him), and in general very happy. Our injections have been very regimented, not varying more than 10 minutes.

I have next Tuesday and Wednesday off (you can see why I'm interviewing), and will do a full day of testing one of those days.

Things are looking very good. :joyful:

59. Great, Kevin! Thanks for the update, been wondering how Bandit has been doing.

60. Bandit

Bandit Member

Hi folks,

Going to 1 unit. His pancreas must be recovering nicely since it's taking so little insulin to get his numbers good. Tested at an 81 this morning, consulted Dr., gave him shot at 1 unit, going to monitor him for adverse signs and test before I go to work at noon. All the while conducting phone interviews with possible employers. Ugh. Wife will be home by 3pm so he'll only go unobserved for that short time span.

Thanks everyone !!!

61. Robin&BB

Just a quick note out of concern (as a longtime AlphaTrak user): Don't understand why your vet has you shooting Bandit at numbers this low
    (I'm referring to 11/24's AMPS of 119 & today's AMPS of 81). BOTH numbers are well within normal limits on a human meter; on an AlphaTrak2 these are EXTREMELY low #s. Even though I've been treating a diabetic cat since 2013 & have consistently tested at mid-cycle, I do not shoot if my cat is below 150 on the AlphaTrak --- and when I do, I am always able to monitor her around her nadir-drop time.

Shooting this low is very risky business (in my humble opinion). I have no idea what your vet is thinking, but I know my own vet would tell me not to shoot at these numbers!) Again, just posting this to you out of a sincere concern for your kitty's continued good health. :)

62. Olive & Paula

@Robin&BB now I'm confused. Are saying not to shoot at these numbers because the previous cycle are low? Or are you saying never to shoot these numbers? Peeps where saying it was ok for me to shoot 98 and 95 the other night but Smokey has been high. I just want to understand what is right.

63. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Woodsy Wife, you are using Lantus, not ProZinc. They are dosed differently. Lantus is a depot insulin that has longer, flatter cycles and you do shoot at lower numbers. ProZinc is an in and out insulin and we don't suggest shooting under 150 as the onset is faster, as is the cycle.

64. Robin&BB

Absolutely!
    (Thanks, Sue! :) I'm kinda tied up this afternoon, just saw this in passing, on my phone.)

65. Olive & Paula

Thank you for the information. Not confused on this point now.

66. Bandit

Bandit Member

How I understand it is this: At his age, BG numbers, and other factors. Putting him into low BG numbers for short periods (without any adverse visual signs), will help his pancreas heal itself, eventually putting him into remission.

That was what I got out of the latest conversation with the Dr. It's only for a few days and I'm going to do more BG testing so she can see the numbers. I'm curious where he is post shot, or 1/2 way between shots. I'm going to test before I go to work at noon today. 79 this morning. And I did give him slightly less than 1 unit.

The only thing I can think of is, I did get a vile of strips that have a different calibration number (36), and if (big if) some of those strips got mixed up with the ones at a 92 calibration. I asked my wife is she combined them or tried to, she didn't. I haven't either, each vile was separate from the other and no one ever mixed up the two. I'm going to test with the the other strips (re-calibrating for them), and see if I get similar results. Unfortunately there's no way of telling by the strips themselves how they are calibrated.

On a side note:

If he goes into remission, or I can skip an injection or two because he is so low, we're going away for a day or two. Not as a reward, not to get away from Bandit but as incentive to do so. We're homebodies for the most part and haven't gone anywhere in a few years. I'm talking not even an overnight thing. We were talking about getting away just before Bandit was diagnosed. We thought, well it's Karma, we're stay at home people and now we have a stay at home cat. With his hopeful remission will come the incentive to get out and go somewhere nice, we work hard and although we love being home we should really get out more often.

Funny how life works sometimes..........

67. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Are you sure your vial says 36 for feline? On mine, canine is 36 and feline is 38

68. Robin&BB

I don't know how any of us here can help you further, Bandit's dad. You have been told - repeatedly, by a number of experienced FDMB members - that many of the pre-shot #s you've been seeing from Bandit are too low to shoot. Yet you continue to put your cat at risk based on shoddy advice by an apparently irresponsible veterinarian, one who seems to have scant knowledge of safe dosing guidelines for ProZinc.

Trust me on this: Not ALL cats show "adverse visual signs" of hypoglycemia. I know this well: My cat is one of those who does not. And I nearly killed her in 2013 as a result of depending on "visual" symptoms of hypoglycemia.

Bandit is already showing you normal numbers at pre-shot time. So this begs the question: Would you shoot insulin - a powerful hormone - into a human child whose pre-shot blood glucose numbers are testing as normal? (If your answer to that question is "No," then why should this be any different for your cat?)

I only hope that some brand-new member does NOT stumble upon your spreadsheet and mistakenly assume that what you are doing is considered safe practice in dosing ProZinc. Because here at FDMB, it is not considered safe practice, not by any stretch of the imagination.

And my hope for Bandit is that he will continue to be a lucky cat (one who is able to withstand any future unnecessary shots of insulin).

69. Kevin,
    Were you able to test before work today?
    Did Bandit get a PM test and shot last night?

70. Bandit

Bandit Member

Some new numbers on the SS if anyone is interested.

Strips do say 38 not 36 for feline. As a control test I re-calibrated the meter for the 38 strips and came up with the most recent BG level (107 at +4hrs). So nothing out of the ordinary as compared to the other strips. I'm certain they didn't get mixed together.

@Robbin&BB: I appreciated your concern. But I think she's going to take him off it very soon. She only wanted a few more numbers. And I'm in contact with her daily.

71. Bandit

Bandit Member

Moved to .5 tonight

Everything is looking good. Will be testing tomorrow in phone interviews (again).

72. Glad to hear about the reduction! I dosed pretty aggressively, but you were making even me nervous!

73. Bandit

Bandit Member

Update on Bandit,

Got some decent testing in on New Years (yeah we're homebodies). Dr. said the numbers looked real good.

BG Testing AMPS/PMPS only for the next 7 days. If numbers hold true, we're taking him off insulin, going for blood/urine work up as a precaution, then obviously BG monitoring daily for a few weeks to make sure things don't rise again

I can't thank everyone here enough for their support and concern. Just seeing the positive comments, and posts about dealing with this thing as an every day slight inconvenience gave me hope and confidence this wasn't going to be some monumental task. And it's not really as long as your diligent and caring.

Thanks again everyone and I'll let you know how things go

74. Great news, Kevin!

Just keep in mind that Bandit will always be a diabetic. In remission, but not "cured". Just keep an eye out for any symptoms that might reappear in the future, keep feeding an appropriate diet, and hold on to your meter just in case.

75. Bandit

Bandit Member

Hi Folks,

Well after the latest numbers, she's taking him off the needle. We are to use DiaStix from Bayer periodically for screening and BG testing if we like too.

We'll see how it goes keeping a close eye on his behavior, especially these first few days. I have a new job (the interviewing paid off) so I gave myself a little vacation next week. I'll be able to keep a close eye on him through most of that time (minus errands and such).

76. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

Good luck on you OTJ (Off the Juice) Trial. Here is some good info regarding OTJ trial.

OTJ Trial Instructions
    Here are the OTJ trial instructions so you have the info:

Start the trial on the next green pre shot.

If he/she is green at your normal test times, no need to test further until the next "PS" time; just feed small meals and go about your day. If he/she is blue at your normal "PS", feed a small meal and test again after about 3 or 4 hours. If his/her number is lower 3-4 hours after a meal, then the pancreas is working!

Post every day so we can monitor your progress and see if any tweaks are needed. He/she may have a sporadic blue number. Don't panic but post before you decide whether to shoot so we can have a discussion.

After 14 days of no insulin, we have a party!!

Sometimes the trial doesn't work the first time and we have to give a little more support in the form of resuming insulin. It's not the end of the world if that happens; we just give him/her the support needed. Our goal is a strong remission and it's better to take our time to get that than to rush into remission just to have it fail later on.

Good luck with the trial!!!

Once he/she is through the trial successfully, you enter a new phase. Your cat is still diabetic but has now become diet-controlled. Continue feeding low carb food in the manner successful for your kitty. If you decide to change his/her feeding schedule, let your meter be your guide to the best times to feed. Avoid medications with sugar in them and steroid medications unless they are medically essential. Continue testing blood glucose weekly for the first month and then monthly forever. It's a good idea to weigh him/her monthly. Weight should remain stable. If he/she seems "off" or sick, or is showing signs of diabetes (excessive drinking, eating, urinating, weight loss), test his/her blood glucose right away. Keep the teeth and gums clean and healthy; dental issues can bring a cat out of remission. If you see rising blood glucose numbers, it's time for a visit to the vet!

77. Bandit

Bandit Member

Hi every one........

Back on the needle :cool:

He had an uptick in his water consumption, that really was our only indicator. His behavior was normal (slightly less energetic) considering the heat we've been experiencing here in the NorthEast. So I tested and he was in the low 300s. A week before he was in the low 100s. Doc saw him the next day. All the other numbers from the lab work look real good. He's a normal cat other than the diabetes.

We were pretty religious about his diet, but Doc said these things happen sometimes and there's little anyone can do about it. Back on 2 units. It's not a big deal, and I'm on a vacation this week as I'm changing jobs (yet again), so I can get in some good BG testing. That way we can can zero in a good dosage that much faster.

Funny how things work in life sometimes:
    His initial diagnosis coincided with the start of a new job (for me). When he went into remission we were planning on "getting away". Having realized how hard it is to do that even without a diabetic cat. This company offered zero vacation the first year, but I could take unpaid leave after our busy season was over (summer). My particular skillset is in demand right now so I've been going on interviews. I gave this past company 9 months, but could tell they were sort of dysfunctional and not looking to the future. I accepted a position at a competitor, and with regret (some of it feigned) gave my two week notice. My new employer suggested taking this holiday week off before jumping in. Then Bandit's BG shot up and here I am on "vacation". I've got work to do around the house that's been on hold, and this heat is supposed to subside somewhat.

Such is life, my new employer gives me 5 accumulated vacation days the first year (only to be used after 6 months). Sort of 1 week vacation as long as things work out. 1 week at my first year anniversary up front, along with 5 accumulated during that year. So 2 weeks the second year. We'll figure something out going forward. There are interns we can pay to come to the house, feed, and administer the dosage if nessecary.

We'd probably go here, there's a place with a direct view of this, Nubble Light House, ME. One of the most photographed Lighthouses in the world.

Nubble Light House

Spread Sheet is active again in case anyone is interested.

78. Olive & Paula

Good luck on your new job. The light house is beautiful. Love lighthouses. My vacations never seemed to coincide with hubby. When I went back to my former employer after a lay off, the business was acquired and vacation went from 5 weeks to 2 weeks under the new company. I use to take Friday or Monday off and make it a long weekend. When done over a holiday weekend it became a mini week off . Husband worked weekends so it was nice having no work and hubby not home. Truly a vacation.

79. Bandit

Bandit Member

Thanks.

I took that photo of Nubble on a daily excursion there a few weeks ago. It's cool. It sits on an island outcropping of rock, but the outcropping on the peninsula is only a few 100 feet away. Some one had a small wedding when we were there too.

I'm putting extra onus on a vacation because it's been about 6 years now since I had one longer than 5 or 6 days (total). I gave up 3 weeks to go to the last place, so I probably would have gotten a decent one in, but at the cost of working nearly every weekend and most holidays. Life is a series of choices and trade-offs. So it's me and Bandit and some overdue household improvements this week, and possible a year end party somewhere for the holiday weekend coming up.

80. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sorry you and Bandit are back. That isn't a bad preshot. Paws crossed you can get him down again. At least he picked a convenient time!

81. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Sorry you are back but as Sue said, good timing
    I hope Bandit goes into remission quickly
    Your new employer sounds like they treat their employees better - congratulations. Seems like it is a race to the bottom in many American companies - people deserve better.

82. Bandit

Bandit Member

Thanks guys/gals.

He was at a 153 this last preshot. Our Doc is real good about responding to emails with the BG spread sheet attached. She'll take a look at the numbers tomorrow morning.

The company that most recently employed me weathered the recession and the bigbox storm, but didn't learn from it. They're a family "run" buisness, which is entirely different than a family owned buisness. The head hunter who referred me for the the job was right. They're a quaint, low pressure, local institution. What he didn't mention was no had a raise in the last eight years. The nepotism ran through the 3 locations so heavy a family tree would have been more useful than an employee phone book. I feel bad for them. For all they knew I was a good fit, then boom. They made no attempt at a counter offer or exit interview. I think they'd seen that scene before. If I was less ambitious it would probably be a good fit. But the new position ticked too many boxes. More money, closer to home (no brutal commute) advanced technology (the lesson "they" didn't learn), better hours, and no weekends (rotated every third Saturday) . And biggest of all no more waiting on the general public, which isn't their fault because that was the position I was hired to do. Although an inside position did come up and I wasn't considered for it. Sort of a snub at any other similar employer.

To their credit they don't lay people off (that has good and bad ramification) they're friendly and if you make the cut (which I did) you're part of the family. Cookouts a couple of times a month, free doughnuts and muffins every Friday morning. That sort of thing. What we also did like a family was take inventory 3 times a year. Soaked to the bone in sweat last time in a dusty shed counting parts and pieces of things. They left that out of the interview too. They would have left me alone to surf Reddit and Ebay all winter, I know it. But I'm not looking to do that too much at work. I go to work to work.

But who knows? Perhaps I'm trading off one set of good/bads for an equal amount. Although I don't think the new position can trump the basic positives (location, money, technology, hours).

Thanks to anyone reading this rant, I've only had the wife to bounce things off.

83. Carol & Murphy (GA)

thanks for sharing that - I see it was more complicated that I thought
    I'm hope your new job is perfect - how's bandit?

84. Bandit

Bandit Member

Update:

2 units for two weeks, testing every other day, making adjustments accordingly. He's into the 100's again, but never too low not to shoot. Which is a double edged sword. Too low a decision has to be made, but it also means remission is a possibility. If he remains in a shootable range no decision and life goes on as usual.

85. Sue and Oliver (GA)

You are right - good and bad news. Push or not push? The ss is missing the more recent numbers. (Or at least I can't see them). The hope would be he would gradually come down on his own.

86. Bandit

Bandit Member

I've been remodeling my bathroom so I missed logging the number on the "3rd" day (high 100's). Today was 190 AMPS. Doc said AMPS was the best for occasional testing. For Bandit it's water consumption and coat that are good indicators he's relapsing. His coat was slightly course because of the initial dehydration . After only a week it's already more like mink. It's subtle, but if he goes into remission again I'll pay more attention to his coat. He only snuggles with me for a few minutes at night while I get ready to sleep, so the wife will be the coat inspector since he'll sit with her for extended periods of time.

Revised my signature to reflect current status and dosage.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  87. Sue and Oliver (GA)

You did your own thing before. Of course, we strongly suggest that you test each preshot as his levels can suddenly change.

88. Bandit

Bandit Member

I tested preshot the best I could for a couple of days. Sent the numbers to the doctors. She wanted some interim numbers this weekend. See SS

He's gotten pretty low today. I'm going to do a PMPS and if he's low move him back to 1 unit.

89. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Could you please add this to your signature: INDIVIDUALIZED DOSING. DO NOT COPY. As a forum, we do not advocate the method you are using and I would hate for anyone new to diabetes to use it.

Robin&BB and Bobbie And Bubba like this.
  90. Bandit

Bandit Member

And what method is that? Every dosage other than one one I'm considering tonight has been Dr. prescribed.

I'm actually moving this dosage back (if the PMPS is still low) because of things I've been told on this forum. You can't have it both ways. The long time posters here thought my Vet was wrong in that we were shooting at too low a BG. Now when I consider taking advice based on the general consensus here, I'm "individualizing" the dosage?

So which is it? Take the advice of the forum, or you're on your own put a disclaimer in your signature (which I will)?

I was hoping to come in here and be given some advice based on similar experiences. Not be chastised for actually considering putting that advice into action.

91. Robin&BB

Kevin, I see plenty of holes in your SS where pre-shot test #s should be. This is what @Sue and Oliver (GA) is talking about. FDMB never recommends you dose a cat with insulin without first getting a preshot number every time. That's totally out of line with our protocols, regardless of which insulin is being used. Shooting without a pre-shot test is placing a diabetic cat at risk, period.

You're neglecting to consider that a brand-new member who has joined FDMB may view your SS and get the mistaken idea that what you are doing is in line with FDMB protocols. That is irresponsible behavior on your part.

If you're not going to test at pre-shot, why are you posting a SS here at all? How is anyone here supposed to "advise" you when you're not testing your cat before you shoot the insulin? The answer is simple: We can't.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
    Rachel and Bobbie And Bubba like this.
  92. Bobbie And Bubba

Ditto to Robin's post. Kevin I wanted to also say that I am not sure why you post at all as you never take the advice given here as you seem to be okay with your vet's advice to shoot numbers that are way too low without monitoring. I remember a couple of times when you were shooting numbers that were not recommended here to shoot and scaring the bejesus out of us in fear for Bandit. .And as Robin said there are sometimes Lurkers who join here and just read post and someone with a newly diabetic cat could read what you are doing and imitate it and shoot way to low and kill their cat.

There is a forum ran by Dr Hodgkins who promotes a very accelerated way of shooting insulin and it might be a better fit for you since you said you are looking for support rather than the advice from this forum.
    www.yourdiabeticcat.com

Robin&BB likes this.
  93. Bandit

Bandit Member

I gotcha. I misunderstood the exact purpose and reason for the disclaimer.

So PMPS is 74. :confused:

Our Dr. does seem to be of this discipline.

She didn't seem too concerned about the the PMPS or AMPS, since they seemed very consistent over a period of a few days. Even with PS levels in the low 100s she was confident in 2 units this entire weekend. She wanted +4 and +8 and one more interim if possible. But he gets miserable if I test him too much and it throws off the numbers.

I'm going to attempt to call her before I adminster a dosage.

But knowing what anyone knows about the effects of BG levels, why shoot 2 units at 74 with the Karo at the ready? It doesn't seem prudent regardless of what particular treatment regimen is being implemented. She'll respond early tomorrow morning and I can test through the night till I go to bed. That's if she doesn't respond to my call.

Thanks guys/gals.

Sorry for the misunderstanding...... o_O

94. Robin&BB

Exactly, Kevin - That's a no-shot #, whether on a human meter or on an AlphaTrak2 meter.

Totally "normal" BG level you're seeing at PMPS. So I would recommend you skip it. He's doing great.

P.S. And you can have a good night's sleep, too.

95. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Our protocol assumes that it isn't wise to shoot doses that force numbers into dangerously low levels and then work to get them back up with Karo. A human diabetic would not treat their diabetes that way - besides being unsafe, it would feel awful, on a roller coaster from low to high.

Kevin, our responsibility is to try to give safe advice that will help the cat into safe ranges, regulation and hopefully remission. And we have to do that in a safe way. It's not our cat and we would never want to encourage a hypo in some else's cat, causing possible life long issues and possibly death.

He is your cat and you hold the syringe. But I don't agree with your methods and I was concerned new diabetics might think your dosing is usual. And, for me, I don't see any way to respond to you - I can't offer advice that fits with the way you are dosing and I don't feel right encouraging shooting so low and without pre shot tests. I hope Bandit does well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.