New thread for Joey

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bonnie & Joey, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bonnie & Joey

Bonnie & Joey Member

Those interested in Joey's progress, or lack of same, can read up on him on the earlier Joey thread. I wanted to get him back near the top because Joey needs all the help he can get. All he is doing is sleeping. He's very, very weak, and will be going to the vet this afternoon.

I'll report back later.

2. Michelle and Doodle

Michelle and Doodle Member

Hi Bonnie
    I just read your on your other thread that you were told to give more karo.
    What is Joey's number right now - before karo?
    And when was last insulin given?

I ask because if last insulin was given yesterday morning there should be no reason to give karo.

I'm glad he'll be seeing the vet today. And I hope you are doing okay - I know this is stressful... but it does get better.

3. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Like Michelle said, if he hasn't had a shot since yesterday morning, this is not the insulin making him lethargic.

You may want to write some notes down now to bring to the vet in case things move fast you don't want to forget to tell the vet anything.

Let them know when he got his last shot, how his numbers were, when he got syrup and the electrolytes this morning.

I'd definitely ask for a full CBC, complete blood chemistry, I believe is what they call it. See where all the values are. They may want to give him some fluids when he's there to help perk him up.

Keep us posted.

4. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Bonni
    I hope all goes well with the vet and please let us know what they say.

I am attaching the other thread for Joey here, so its stays attached.
    As the others have said, if he has not had insulin in 24 hours, this really would not be a hypo situation.

Joey's first thread

5. Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout

Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout Well-Known Member

A CBC is a complete blood count and doesn't include any chemistry testing at all.

6. Bonnie & Joey

Bonnie & Joey Member

This is so helpful. The vet's assistant instructed me to give Joey the maple syrup, which I did. 15 minutes later, after 2CCs of maple sugar, is 128.

I probably should have listened to you guys and waited until the vet visit, but I had closed the computer after I stopped posting on the other thread, and didn't get the advice given here.

At the vet's, I'll make sure to ask for a complete blood panel, and note the readings and when insulin has been given and the resulting readings. I'm also stressed from other sources, so I'm sitting here sweating right after a shower.

Joey is so weak and skinny, I don't know how he can rebound, but with all the well-wishing coming his way, maybe the infusion of goodwill will help him.

Thanks to everyone.

I have to go to the store for a bit before going to the vet. That puts me offline for a time.

7. Bonnie & Joey

Bonnie & Joey Member

I'll explore the link to valleysugarcats when back. It looks like a rich source of info.

8. Bonnie & Joey

Bonnie & Joey Member

The appointment is late, so I'm still able to be online. A little more background:

Bill said Joey did drink water last night during the night. He also was drinking a little when I was downstairs. I haven't been able to catch him at the litter box, so no ketone strip to read.

9. Randi & Max (GA)

Bonni
    We have an expression here, it is called "sending healing vines and a good vet
    visit" for Joey.
    When I heard you were in Vermont I was hoping you were a little more north and I wuld have
    come to help, I am in Montreal so Waterbury is about 2 hours (near the Ben & Jerry's factory?)

Try and stay calm and keep us posted here.
    This place is amazing and we all rally together.

Lantus and Levimir are great choices!!
    You will get help here, okay.
    Big hugs.

10. Michelle and Doodle

Bonnie,
    hang in there...
    It's good that you're getting him in for some testing - that will let you know where you are... take a deep breath :)

I want to give you a little info here so that you have something positive to hang onto.
    Cats are more often than not very skinny and very sick when they are initially diagnosed as diabetic, but given a bit of time and care, they can turn it around and become healthy and strong and surprise their humans at just how playful they can be. We see it all the time... You are doing a great job and barring any other serious complications Joey is likely to do the same. You're researching, testing him and improving his diet - this is all good.

The other good and important thing is, that Joey's blood glucose is only 128, more than 24 hours after his last dose of insulin (am I right ?) AND after being given maple syrup.
    This is smile worthy.

I AM concerned that you were told to give him syrup without having a BG number and without insulin onboard though, because you don't want to give syrup when it's not necessary due to the fact that it will stress an already fragile pancreas that just may be sputtering on it's own. But what's done is done - and you'll just know that for next time.

Please post when you get home and let us know what the vet says and what the bloodwork shows. This is a great place with an incredible amount experience and knowledge to share - I'm glad you're here. (but sorry ya gotta be)

11. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

did you get urine test too? i'd get an xray at the very least if i could, too. just gotta see what's going on.
    the low numbers could be from not eating.

for some inspiration, my cat cleo had gotten down to just over 7 lbs from her former 11 pound frame when she was diagnosed with diabetes. she was very listless and could barely move, and had given up eating because the food wasn't converting to energy for her (happens with diabetes). after insulin for a couple days her appetite improved.

with cats, not eating or eating very little for over 24 hours can cause fatty liver disease, which is serious. at this point i'd be saying feed him whatever he'll eat. hate that the livers are the only thing he's really into coz he should really be eating more muscle meat than organ meat. will he eat any boiled chicken breast? i'd cook chicken breast in plain water (no salt, onion, garlic, or anything else), and cut it up small and serve it up with some of that broth and see if he'll eat that. getting him eating is a major priority.

hoping you'll find out what's going on and will come home with a prescription for lantus if he' s still showing sugar in his urine.

12. Bonnie & Joey

Bonnie & Joey Member

Bless you all for the healing thoughts and wishes. With a heavy heart I write that the vet says Joey has a mass below his stomach. His condition isn't only diabetes, which may have been diet-linked and is now controllable. Steve says it is, in his extensive experience, a tumor, and most likely cancerous. We can do an ultrasound, but Steve felt the mass, Joey yowed for the first time in a long time, so no more blood work was done.

The only good news is that Joey is in no pain, so no euthanasia. We will stick with him to the end, unless the pain becomes difficult for him. But the vet doesn't think he has very long to live.

As the owner of a health food store, I some understanding of alternative treatments, and will try some mushroom extracts and a food extract called DMG, both of which can help slow or stop tumor growth. But Joey's decline has been so rapid that I know all I can do is try.

I'm out of tears for now. Bill couldn't go in to see the vet, he had had such a bad feeling about Joey's prognosis. We love our boy, and will cherish every moment we have left with him.

13. tuckers mom

Bonnie, I am so sorry.

Attached Files:

14. Randi & Max (GA)

((Bonnie))
    I am so sorry to hear about Joey.
    Cherish and enjoy what you can and do your best for him.

15. Bonnie & Joey

Bonnie & Joey Member

That's a new picture of Joey I just took. He's enjoying the grass and being outside in the fresh air.

Ten minutes later - after a phone call - Joey is back inside. He just polished off almost an entire can of chicken baby food. We have our boy at least for today, and that's all we ever really have.

Thanks so much for the baby food recommendation. It's the only food that has worked, and it worked very, very well.

16. Iorwen & Tray

Iorwen & Tray Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to hear the sad news but I know you will cherish your time with him and that Joey will cherish his time with you. Be comforted that he knows he is loved and loves you in return.

17. Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout

Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout Well-Known Member

I would suggest consulting with an oncologist before making any irreversible decisions.

My Abbey(GA) was diagnosed with lymphoma in April of 2005. She too had a large mass in her stomach. We started chemo immediately, she went into remission and we had another 4.5 years together before the cancer returned. I'm grateful for a vet who was willing to have hope and treat her and for every extra day that I had her in my life.

18. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

I am very sorry to hear this news.

19. Bonnie & Joey

Bonnie & Joey Member

Just to let anyone know who is following Joey, I'm not giving up. I found a cancer site with a couple of suggestions for drugs for his condition that sound somewhat promising. I'm also going to start him on a mushroom supplement and the DMG I mentioned.

I'll continue to monitor his blood sugar daily for several days until I'm certain it's stable. Then I'll go to every other day, but will monitor his behavior carefully.

I have a call into the vet about the possible cancer drugs for Joey. Joey has always been a scrapper. He has had a long-standing feud with the Red Cat from across the street. There's a nick in his ear that is a reminder. He usually won his scrambles, but not always. Now he will be fighting for his life.

I thought I would be treating diabetes. This diagnosis puts a new dimension on Joey's challenges, but I'm not going to call it quits for him. We are in this together.

We love our Joey. The three in our family were in tears at the diagnosis. I hope we have the privilege of his companionship a while longer.

20. tuckers mom

I hope that the cancer site can help and I do hope that you will keep us posted from time to time. He's a handsome boy :)

21. Randi & Max (GA)

Yes Joey is very handsome.
    Good luck with taking care of him, I really hope it turns out well.
    Please update us here on how he is.
    This is a great source of information.

22. Bonnie & Joey

Bonnie & Joey Member

That big meal of baby food made him do his growl/purr while wolfing it down. It was as though we had never fed him anything he liked so much in his life. Only a small teaspoon was left after his feast. I learned about the baby food suggestion on this site, and I'm very grateful for that suggestion and all the other great ideas members have shared. They improved Joey's quality of life, and therefore mine as well.

DH and son off for more chicken baby food.

I'll ask our vet for a referral to an oncologist, or see if he is comfortable working with us himself. He's very bright and open to suggestions, and he and Joey like each other. He has been Joey's vet for all of Joey's 14 years, and he has a great relationship with the Joe Man.

Oh my! Hubby and son are off looking for Joey. I can hear them calling him. He managed to sneak off when they took their eyes off of him for a second. He is definitely feeling better to go on a ramble. He has special hiding places around the yard, and he will make them search every one, I bet.

You go Joe!

(The lost is found. He had not only found a special hiding place, he had ducked under some leaves to be less visible. He has always been quite imaginative about hiding.)

23. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

just a warning for ya, bonnie. cats who think they're near the end may try to hide forever so it would be a good idea to keep a really close watch on him. i'd never say keep him inside if he loves being out (especially at this time) but watch him.

but there are a lot of cancer kitties and ex cancer kitties on this board who lasted a long time and went into remission so that gives all of us hope. altho i'm sure his vet is great it would help to see an oncologist. cleo herself has lymphoma diagnosed this past summer and is still doing pretty well.

24. Michelle and Doodle

I'm so sorry to read this Bonnie.
    I hope you have more time than you think together.

I'm not sure what the vet may have suggested to you regarding his diabetes... but if you do have to give Joey insulin again I personally urge you to consider reducing his dose to an even smaller amout than he got the last time to avoid his going so low.

best wishes...

25. Bonnie & Joey

Bonnie & Joey Member

Another day begins for Joey. He drank water and used the litter box during the night. He hasn't yowed for food yet, but the warm baby food is ready, and I'm going to begin working to shrink his tumor today. As I said, I'll continue to check his blood daily to make sure he's stable, and I'll follow the advice to keep his insulin dose really low if he needs it. I'll also keep an eye on him outside, which we were doing, but the guys with they eyes lifted them for a second yesterday. No more.

Joey was in a great mood before sleeping last night. He knows he's getting special treatment, and the purrs are deep and satisfied. But unlike his usual self, he does slip off the bed and go to the cool, hard floor of the crate when he's ready for a long snooze. That and the lethargy are the biggest changes in his behavior.

Being outside yesterday definitely perked him up. He's weak from inactivity, and his hindquarters weren't very strong. But as he walked around a bit, he seemed to gain strength, so he will spend some carefully supervised time outside today.

His vet's office is closed today, so I don't expect a return call. There are a couple of cat-only hospitals in Vermont within an hour drive or so, but one doesn't have a very good reputation, and I don't know anything about the other. I'm going to give them a call and see if they do have a practitioner who specializes in cancer cats. The other option is Tufts, but that is over three hours away, and I don't know how good it is for Joey to travel that far. I'm going to call them to see if they have any recommendations for more local care for Joey.

Thanks from us all, including Joey, for the encouragement and very helpful advice. Every day Joey is with us is a very good day.

26. Bonnie & Joey

Bonnie & Joey Member

Joey just had a lo read. He had eaten half a bottle of chicken baby food earlier. He was so weak I waited until now to test him, as his sugar was good all yesterday.

He didn't want to stay on the bed after his test, so he jumped off. We're going to give him some maple syrup. I don't want to give him supplements when he's so weak. I may try only the DMG, as it is supposed to give him energy.

27. tuckers mom

Is he on insulin still?

28. Bonnie & Joey

Bonnie & Joey Member

No. He had no insulin yesterday or today.

29. Bonnie & Joey

Bonnie & Joey Member

I gave Joey a 1CC mixture of Vitamin B12, reishi mushroom, and DMG. An hour later, he was up and cleaning himself for the first time in days.

30. tuckers mom

You don't need to worry about hypo since he's not insulin, instead of syrup try getting some food into him, it's, as I'm sure you know, a better source of calories and energy for him. Glad he's up and grooming :)

31. Bonnie & Joey

Bonnie & Joey Member

No insulin for Joey, but I will test him later today. He happily munched the canned food the vet prescribed for him last night and early this morning. He was still full a bit ago, but his appetite is much better, as is his energy.

He's still sipping at the water frequently. I'm going to ask the vet about that. If you have any thoughts I would appreciate them.

When I called the cat hospital yesterday, the first thing they wanted to do was a liver and tissue biopsy after an ultrasound, but I wasn't keen on the biopsies. Joey is doing better on the supplement mix. I think I'll see if I can get his energy up more before considering anything as drastic as biopsies. If there is a way to reduce the size of the mass without biopsies and chemo, I'd like to do that.

We are taking it one day at a time, and Joey is one game guy. The vet food makes him do his growl-purr. It's music to my ears.

32. Bonnie & Joey

Bonnie & Joey Member

Joey's read was 185 tonight. The vet had said no insulin under 200. He's pretty tired and lethargic, and his hindquarters have weakened again. He was better this morning, and he went on an adventure, which may have tuckered him out.

I had to work outside the home today, so the men, who work at a shop at home, supervised Joey. Joey wanted to go on a ramble, and went across the street to visit our neighbor, and his old nemesis, The Red Cat.

Joey staked out his turf in front of the house. It took The Red Cat some forty minutes to really register the presence of Joey. Then, in utter amazement, he stalked over to see why in heaven's name his enemy would sit so brazenly in his front yard. Red Cat then approached Joey, and seemed to realize how frail he was. He gave Joey a few good sniffs, then walked away. There was no confrontation. This is a big advance in their relationship.

Of course, it could be that Joey was making a final visit to The Red Cat, said Bill. We see how very weakened our buddy is. I'm going to consult an herbalist tomorrow who used to work with Juliette de Bairacli Levy, a well-known herbalist.

33. Bonnie & Joey

Bonnie & Joey Member

Joey passed away peacefully during the night. He did this gracefully, as he did all things. Last night, on wobbly legs, he made certain he made it to the litter box we placed near the crate one last time. He would never make a muss.

Joey was adopted from a shelter at four months. The first time he left the house, he killed a bird within seconds. We always hung chimes around and shooed away birds when he was around. There wasn't a rodent safe on his watch, either. Last week he was mousing every warm evening. Joey was a most efficient, effective predator.

Rest in peace, beloved friend. For fourteen years you gave us love and laughter. We got to hear your beautiful growl/purr within the past few days. You leave us with wonderful memories. We will miss you greatly.

34. tuckers mom

Bonnie, I am so sorry. Joey was so lucky to have you as a mom. He is happy and hole at Rainbow Bridge and until you meet again he will be sending lots of love to you.

35. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

I am so sorry Bonnie. I've been following you and Joey these last few days and smiled and cried along with you as I read of his movements. Rest in peace Joey. (((Bonnie)))

36. Iorwen & Tray

Iorwen & Tray Well-Known Member

I am so so sorry Bonnie.

37. Bonnie & Joey

Bonnie & Joey Member

Thanks so much for the kind thoughts and words. The winds outside are blowing violently. They reflect our sense of loss. Joey was one of us. I know he's in a good place, free of his emaciated body at last.

That doesn't keep me from missing him terribly.

38. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

My deepest sympathies Bonnie. I know what you are feeling as I just went through this. knowing that they are in a better place and not suffering takes a back seat at first as to how deep you feel the loss.
    fly free sweet boy

39. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Aw, Bonnie, I've been keeping up with your posts on Joey and was praying he would turn around. My deepest sympathy on the loss of your beloved boy.

[​IMG]

40. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to read this! Please take care of yourselves.

41. Deb and Pippin

Deb and Pippin Member

It is a blessing he went peacefully and gently at home surrounded by all that was dear and comforting to him.
    I am so sorry he had to leave you, my heart goes out to you today.

[​IMG]

42. OLM Catnip Cottage

OLM Catnip Cottage Well-Known Member

I'm so very sorry.

Joey fought a valiant fight. He shared a very blessed life with you. May God bring you comfort now.

43. Emmy & Dude

Emmy & Dude Well-Known Member

I'm so very sorry that Joey had to leave, but he did indeed do it his way - peacefully - and now is free of pain and in a happier place. The story of him seeing The Red Cat is so touching - it did seem as if he was saying goodbye in his way.

My heart goes out to you in your sadness - they're never with us for a long enough time - but what a wonderful life you gave him by taking him in and loving him so much. I'm sure he's looking down on you with much love - and I'm hoping the love and memories you've shared will comfort you in your grief.

Emmy & Dude (& Mittsi too)

44. Randi & Max (GA)

(((Bonnie)))
    I am so sorry to hear of your loss of Joey.
    I was in my car (parked) reading in community and saw a post Joey (GA) with a candle.
    My hands froze and tears came to my eyes.
    Of course I have been following you and Joey and even wanted to head down to Vermont to help.
    At least Joey left you at home where he was loved so very much.
    My prayers are with you.

Fly free sweet Joey.

45. Carol-Charlie

Carol-Charlie Well-Known Member

My eyes are crying tears for your loss. Joey however is running free and practicing 'catch and release' tag with the mice near the bridge.... I'm so very sorry... I feel your pain again, as when I lost my beloved Charlie.

46. M L and Cleo (GA)

M L and Cleo (GA) Member

I'm so sorry Joey had to leave you but I'm glad he was with his family; and how nice of him to say his farewells to The Red Cat.

47. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

(((Bonnie & Bill))) I am so sorry. Fly free Joey. rb_icon

48. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

(((((Bonnie and family))))) I am so sorry for your loss of your dear friend. May you always smile when you think of him, even if it is through tears at first. Fly free, Joey!! wings_cat

49. BobsMom

BobsMom Member

I too have been following your story and I am just so sad to hear this news. Please know that I am sorry for your loss and you are in my thoughts and prayers.
    wings_cat

50. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss.

May all your wonderful memories of Joey bring you comfort...

...'til you meet again.

51. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

((( Bonnie )))

I'm so sorry to see this, it seems so sudden. Happily, he got to have his outdoor ramble. I'm very sorry for your loss.

52. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

I am so sorry for your loss.
    I have't been online ina while but I read your story and as it went on I had hoped to see a magic, alternative medicine that would prolong his life and was sad to see him go in such a short time...
    My heart goes out to you.

53. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Joey the Brave. What a grand warrior.
    My sincere condolences on the passing of your dear friend. He has certainly earned his wings.

Fly free Joey land softly until those that love you most catch up with your spirit.
    Jeanne

54. Lee and Tida (GA)

Lee and Tida (GA) Member

Iam so sorry for your loss. Joey went peacefully and on his own terms.

It gets a little easier as each day passes. I still have a "little cry" almost every day when I think of my sweet Tida. Joey will forever be in your heart.

55. Michelle and Doodle

Oh Bonnie, I'm so very sorry to read this!
    He was obviously very loved...
    My sincere condolences.

56. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

I am so very sorry for your loss :-(

~M

57. Bonnie & Joey

Bonnie & Joey Member

How I miss our boy! He left us on the 5th of May, Cinque de Mayo, a day we usually celebrate with a margarita or two. But now that day will be our day to remember Joey, one of the loves of our lives.

I'll keep in touch from time to time, and try to share with others who have sick or lost fur friends. Joey has been so much a part of us that thinking about him still brings on the tears. I know he was very weak at the end, and that he was finally too weak to have a good quality of life. But I keep casting about for a way we could have had him with us for longer, he was such a joy.

I hope I find more peace, and peace and hope to all others who are having to cope with an out-of-sorts fur friend.

Bonnie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.