New to diabetes and need help to start

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by BertZ, Jul 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BertZ

BertZ New Member

Hi,
    My 12-year old boy Bert was recently diagnosed. He’s on lantus and vet told me to give him 2.5lines on a u-100 syringe.
    I need help on
    1. Setting up my signature
    2. Setting up the spreadsheet

I’ll be monitoring his blood glucose. Today’s reading at +3 was 181 so i’ll be reducing to half the amount.

Just to confirm 2.5 lines is 2.5units? So i’ll reduce to 1unit for evening shot.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks.

2. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Set up your profile with the type of insulin, existing and current medical conditions, living conditions (other cats, outdoor cat). I'm off to bed, cannot give medical advice.
    Zzzzzzzzz

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to the forum:)
    Can you take a photo of your syringe so we can see where the 2.5 line you are using is on the syringe please?
    2.5 units is a lot to start off with. We usually start with 1 unit and go up in 0.25 increments after holding the dose for 3 days at least.

That is great you are going to test the BSLs. You need to test before EVERY dose of insulin and again around about +4 to +6 to see how low the insulin is taking Bert. We make decisions about the dose based on the nadir(lowest point) not the preshot number.
    Here is the link for setting up the spreadsheet.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

To set up your signature go to the top of this page and click on your user name. Click on signature and document yours and Berts names, date of diagnosis, his weight, age, type of insulin and dose, any other medical conditions, country you live in, type of glucose monitor you are using. Then save. It will appear below your posts. And that is where your spreadsheet (SS) will also appear.

In the beginning it will be a steep learning curve and you might feel overwhelmed but it will get better!
    Ask lots of questions. Knowledge is power. Everyone is very happy to help you.
    If you click onto the link below, it will take you to the main forum page where you can ask lots of questions and there will be a lot more eyes to help you. Also read the yellow stickies at the top of the pages, that are full of great info :)

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

4. BertZ

BertZ New Member

Thanks for the prompt reply and advice. The photos of the syringe and vet advised to start at 2.5line. Will reduce to 1line this evening.

Attached Files:

beggargirl likes this.
  5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Can you turn the syringe around so I can see the numbers on it please?

ETA
    Are your syringes the U-100 insulin BD ultra fine 0.3ml ?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    Reason for edit: added info
  6. BertZ

BertZ New Member

Yes correct. I had reduced the amount to 1 line. His reading before the insulin is 263.

7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Ok...the first line is 1 unit.
    Try not to feed for the 2 hours beforehand you test and shoot, because the blood sugar level(BSL) will then not be affected by the food. Always test before EVERY dose of insulin to make sure Bert is at a high enough number to shoot. In the beginning if it is below 200.....stall, don't feed, and post for guidance. That is because we don't know yet how Bert reacts to the insulin. As you get data in the SS you will be able to shoot lower numbers. When you post for assistance when you are stalling say something like 'HELP.....stalling......new to this'
    Also try and get another test inbetween the shots at about +5 or +6 to see how low the insulin is taking Bert. And at night get a test before you go to bed as cats often go lower at night.

Keep asking questions...that is the best way to learn and read all the information here on the forum.:)
    See you over on the main forum
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.