New to Diabetes and the board

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by traceyg, Mar 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. traceyg

traceyg Member

My 9 year old cat was diagnosed with diabetes about 6 weeks ago. She also has hyperthyroid and high blood pressure. I have been feeding her fancy feast wet the classics or the Fancy feast medleys. The vet has her on Humilin. Anyway her numbers started at 363. then 368. Then 207 232 then 4 something. We started with a low dose of Humilin. She is now up to 5 units. I believe that is a lot for a cat. She is steadily losing weight. my vet and I keep going back and forth. She keeps saying that it is the diet or I am not getting the insulin in her correctly. My vet wants me to feed Suzie the prescription diet for which she won't eat. My cat is is slowly disappearing from losing so much weight and looks like awful. She isn't a big cat to start off with.

took her in yesterday for a BG curve test. She wouldn't eat for them so they fed her with a syringe so they could do the test. They of course fed her their food. Her numbers they said look fine so it was something I was doing or the diet. That she needed to eat the prescription food. Not the fancy feast. They are really beating a dead horse again and again with that. She does not like it she isn't eating it. I suggested we try another insulin. That fell on deaf ears. I have been with my vet a long time. I really like her. This has also been very expensive and has drained most of the funds. To start all over again with someone new I am afraid would be to costly. I am not sure what to do here. Not even sure what questions to ask. Can anyone here help me get a grip on this for me and Suzie. She is losing 1 to 2 ounces a week and she is not a big or heavy cat to start with. Please help suggestions that I can work with.

I also have question about feeding schedules. Do you guys free feed? Do you keep it down or take it up. My vet wants me to take up the food so that she eats every twelve hours with maybe a little in between but Suzie doesn't eat a lot at one time. I don't want to put her down but she is fading away and you can tell she is just not feeling well. this seems cruel.

However I know it doesn't have to be this way I just don't know what to do at this point.

2. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

We need help here...

Hi Tracey, and of course, your precious sweet furry who's not feeling well (can you tell us her name?),

Personally? I say, you feed her whatever she wants to eat, okay? You can sort out a potential diet change s-l-o-w-l-y later if it's needed, when things aren't so worrisome... And, no, there's no point in trying to get her to eat prescription food, or any food, she won't eat, okay?

When you say she's on Humulin insulin, I'm guessing it's N. Is this correct? If it is, it is a very fast acting insulin not suited for cats. Why? Because cats metabolize insulin about twice as fast as humans -- and, N, is a human insulin. My Gizmo was on increasing doses of N and she was miserable. And, so was I.

I'm going to tell you something, dear Tracey. I am not a vet basher. I am sincerely grateful for vets -- and, love many! And because of your furry girl's multiple issues, you need a vet. But, that said, I have trained a couple regarding my sugar dance with Gizzie and her 2-3 months on Humulin N insulin.

You can demand Levemir, Lantus, or PZI -- much gentler and far more cat-friendly insulins. You might be able to get some from this wondrous Board. Trust me, I understand financial pressures as well...

Can you tell us where you live? No specifics necessary, okay? I'm just asking because maybe one of us lives near you and can teach you how to home test. Check the supply closet forum here, as you may be able to get a free meter and test kit. Home testing is the way to be proactive.

And, being proactive is the way to help you both. Trust me, Tracey. We can help you help your furry girl and hold your hand with each and every step.

I was a free feeder with Giz and am still a free feeder with Nikki. Food is out all day and night. Peace of mind is a wondrous gift...

Welcome to the place you never wanted to be; but, will be blessed for having found.

Much love and countless encouraging, hopeful hugs for you both, dear Tracey,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, Giz forever dancing in my heart...

3. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree with everything Deb said. You can get a newbie kit from us - with meter, strips etc. - just for postage. viewtopic.php?f=28&t=19541 There is a coupon for Lantus in the supply closet and some Lantus vials. viewforum.php?f=15 If you publish your city and state, or province, maybe we have a member near you who could recommend a FD vet.

4. traceyg

traceyg Member

My sweet cats name is Suzie. Found in under a bush about 9 years ago. Bottle feed her and we have been together ever since.

You can demand Levemir, Lantus, or PZI -- much gentler and far more cat-friendly insulins. You might be able to get some from this wondrous Board. Trust me, I understand financial pressures as well...>>

Yes it is the Humulin N. I can't get the vet to change it. You are correct I can't do all this without a vet. I have been to my vet for a long time. I was thinking about this all last night. I really need to change vets but I can't right now I don't have the cash. If something does happen and Suzie goes into crisis my vet knows me well enough that I can pay it off. I can't do that with a new vet. I can't go in to a new vet and say hay Suzie has all these problems and I need you to fix her and I will pay it off. I spent a lot of money on Suzie in the last few weeks and I am tapped out for now. Poor thing is suffering so much. So, I am not sure what to do. I go to ark animal hospital. She really has a good reputation but I guess she is old school.

She is a good vet but I think her practice is so big now and she is so overrun . . . I have no energy or strength left to keep fighting with my vet. If I keep pushing the insulin thing she is just going to tell me if you aren't happy go to someone else which I would love to do at this point but can't. I think she knows that. So she has the upper hand but the only one that is suffering is Suzie. This is a horrible way to die and that is what my cat is doing slowly. I am hoping I can find an answer here. Otherwise Suzie is a goner. . . and I don't think it has to be that way.

When Suzie was first diagnosed I was going to put her down but my vet talked me out of it. Now my vet doesn't seem like much help. If we keep going this way Suzie is going to die a slow death. I don't feel like there is much I can do to stop it but I am sure I will get some help from this board. I will look for the mailing packet you are talking about for new diabetics. thank you for you help. really I appreciate all the advice.

I am in Reading Pa.

5. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

You've already got some great advice, but what I'd like to add, on top of Humulin N not being a good insulin for a cat, it metabolizes too quickly, lasts only a few hours in the system for a normal FD, you have a hypert kitty who is going to metabolize that insulin even faster.

A hypert kitty is like a cat in overdrive. Unless you completely have the hypert under control with the tapazole (the T4 is always under 4), which in most cases I've found it very difficult to do that consistently, your cat metabolizes everything fast.

Humulin is very old school, most vets these days use Lantus (Glargine) or other insulins such as PZI, ProZinc or even Vetsulin which I'm not a fan of either. Ask your vet to please go on VIN ask his/her peers what they use. I doubt many will respond that they still prescribe Humulin.

There is research that we can point you to if you'd like to print the information out for your vet, or if you really feel your vet wont listen, I'd call some area vets and check into switching.

6. traceyg

traceyg Member

I agree with you on the Humlin but she doesn't seem to want to budge on it. if I push her any farther Suzie will have NO vet at all. I really feel bad for my lovely sweet suzie cat. I apperciate the advice but what do you do with a vet that won't work with you and you don't have the funds to start all over with someone else?

7. tuckers mom

I don't think you'd be starting over with a new vet. Your vet would supply you with your records, a new vet will need to have a consult to meet your cat and after that you would be able to hometest which is really very simple, and if you post here we can help guide you on doses and perhaps we can see if diet change could help your kitty or maybe there's something else going on.

Hypert kitties are prone to bladder infections, could be you have a urinary tract infection that's causing the increased BGs. The weight loss and water intake could be the HyperT, do you have any recent T4 results?

8. Sue and Oliver (GA)

If you really can't consider a new vet who is more up to date, I think I would start working with the Humulin. Right now, you don't really know what is going on - how long it is lasting and how low it is taking her or if she is continuing to be high. Either get our newbie kit or go to Walmart and pick up the supplies:

A human glucometer. Any one that sips and takes a tiny sample is fine. The meters are often free at drug stores; it’s the strips that are expensive. You can, however, buy them on ebay at less than half the price of stores. Lots of people here also like the ReliOn from Walmart. It is an inexpensive meter and its strips are the cheapest around. Try the meter out on yourself or someone else before you try it on your cat. You want to be familiar with it before you poke the cat.

Lancets and a lancet device. Usually, until the ears “learn” to bleed, a 25-26 gauge is good. Any brand will work - just match the lancets to the device. Very inexpensive

Ketone strips. (Ketostix) Just like human diabetics use. You will sometimes need to test urine if the numbers are high. Very inexpensive

Rice sack. Make this out of thinnish sock, filled with raw rice or oatmeal and then knotted. You heat this in the microwave until very warm but not hot. Then heat the ears before poking.

Also nice to have. Flashlight: so you can look at the ears and find the little capillaries that come off the vein running down the ear. Vaseline: Put a tiny smear where you want to poke. It will help the blood bead up.

And some lo carb treats to give your kitty, successful test or not Lo carb treats

The whole thing should cost under $40. We can teach you to test over the internet or find a member who lives near you.

At least once you know how the insulin is working (or not working) you will have a clearer picture for you and your vet.

9. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Anyone near Reading, PA??????

My dearest Tracey, and, of course, you too, sweet Suzie,

Please don't give up hope.

I feel how tired and scared you are. But, and, sometimes buts are good! I just picked up a CVS TRUEtrack meter with 10 test strips and a little baggie of lancets Sunday for $13.99. And, get this? There was a rebate for the buy price in the box. So, eventually it's free! We love free!

Once you get some sleep, you'll have a clear head... And, you'll look at your darling Suzie, who you rescued from under a bush, bottle fed, and has shared nine great years of adventures with you. And, you'll find the strength, energy, and love to say to her, We're going for 9 nine more!

Feline diabetes is very do-able. It's a dance. We can teach you both the steps. I can also tell you that I was a complete and doubtful wreck when Gizzie was first diagnosed at age 14. I'm talking absolute emotional train wreck... Yet, we danced for four more years. And, I wouldn't have traded that for anything.

There becomes such a special bond with a sugar cat that you can't even begin to imagine. But, I think you will. I have faith in your wondrous heart and its great love for Suzie, who you rescued from under that bush nine years ago...

You can do this. We can help you. I believe in you both.

Much love and continuing countless hopeful and encouraging hugs for you both,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, Giz, forever dancing in my heart and who sent me Nikki!

10. traceyg

traceyg Member

I applied for the newbie kit. I have to get to work. Yes Suzie thryiod levels were checked about 6 weeks ago. They were hi. I believe 5.5 The vet wanted to get the diabetes under control before she worked on that again. that has kind of gone by the wayside I think. It is so frustrating. Suzie LOVES Spring loves to lay out on her porch. it is enclosed don't worry. I hope I can get her feeling better soon. I haven't sleep in days. Well I have to get to work.

11. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dearest Tracey, and, of course, you too, sweet Suzie,

I don't know anything about Hyperthyroid. However, many here do. I do know that diabetes can be treated around other medical issues. And, has been!

The fact that Spring is coming is good for all hearts. It's been a tough winter, to say the least...

Hope work goes well today, and that you get some much needed sleep tonight, dearest Tracey.

Hang in there, okay?

Much love and countless hopeful hugs for you both,
    Deb

PS: Thank you for this update. I'm going to get in touch with someone who knows a lot about HT and diabetes, okay?

12. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Hi Tracey, and, of course, you too, sweet Suzie,

I've written to a dear friend here who knows about HT and diabetes, and hopefully she'll respond to add to Jennifer's incredibly wise knowledge and help you deal with this as well. And, just heard from another friend that you're getting a special newbie kit.

Hang tight. It's a dance. We'll teach you the steps.

Please don't give up.

Much love and countless hopeful hugs for you both,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, Giz, smiling in my heart...

13. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

Wow, you must be exhausted ... I am so sorry that you and Suzie are going thru all this.

Let's break this down a little. First, the food. You know now that any canned food that is grain free and low in carbs is a suitable food for her, so find something she likes and let her at it.

Second, the insulin. Altho' N is not our first insulin of choice, many cats have been regulated on the Humulin insulins long before PZI, Lantus or Levemir were invented. It can be done, but you need to hometest and I strongly suggest that you read Kimber's excellent primer on using N : http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=303

I completely understand your quandary with your vet, so your best bet is to educate yourself and slowly pass that info along to your vet. She needs to work with you in this. If that proves impossible, then you may need to look for someone new.

Third, the hyperthyroidism. Because pre-existing systemic diseases like diabetes can cause misleading tests for HyperT, it's important to run a Free T4 to confirm any thyroid dysfunction. If Suzie is HyperT, that needs to be addressed. It's a metabolic disorder with its own serious consequences, and it causes weight loss, rapid heart rate, increased thirst/peeing, hair loss, nausea... it's pretty hard to regulate diabetes while that is going on- especially since so many symptoms overlap. Treating both concurrently can, and should, be done. And compared to the diabetes, giving Suzie a pill (Tapazole) for her HT seems pretty easy, and can really make a difference. And, as Jennifer says, the HT increases the metabolism, which may burn up insulin even faster than usual.

Hometesting is your best tool... the sooner you can start, the better Suzie will do, and the more control you will have.

Diabetes can be treated, but I'm so sorry that it's all been made so much more difficult. Please know we will help you as much as we can.

14. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Tracey,

I am in Wilmington DE. My vet is in West Chester PA, about an hour from you.

I sent you a PM earlier today, but I didn't realize at the time how close you are. Please do contact me to see whether I can help.

My vet, Dr. Alan Glassman at the Chester County Cat Hospital, is really good with FD, and will work with you on whatever insulin you want to use (except maybe N). He's a doll. DCIN may be able to help you with testing supplies and a prescribed insulin. I can show you how to test.

15. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dearest Tracey, who I hope is getting some much needed rest, with you, sweet Suzie, snuggling right by her side,

This is why I love this Board. This community. This family. This knowing you aren't alone...

Much love, sweet dreams, and our countless encouraging and encouraged hugs continue,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, of course, Giz, smiling on us all...

16. traceyg

traceyg Member

giving Suzie a pill (Tapazole) for her HT seems pretty easy>>> Yes she has been on that for about a year or so. It now makes her a little sick in the stomach which concerns me with the diabetes. Suzie also has high blood pressure and she is on medication for that. I give her those pills about 1 hours after she has had the insulin. I work strange hours. Kind of like a split shift so I get up at 3 in the morning give her the Insulin then wait for a hour and give her the Tapazole and blood pressure meds. Then wait another 30 minutes to make sure she keeps it down before I go back to bed or leave for work. It depends what day it is.

I believe the high blood pressure is caused by the hyper Thyroid. She also gets blocked. She was on CD but now she isn't any more. She was eating the Seafood feast for a while bu now she doesn't like that. I am feeding her the Fancy Feast Medley Chicken in garden greens. She will eat it so that is the first help. I was told about a week ago that cats with Hyperthyroid should not have any fish.

I am concerned she will get blocked again since she is no longer on the CD. She was taken off that about 6 weeks ago when the vet prescribed the diabetic food. She got totally blocked a few years ago from the crystals. My vet doesn't seem to be concerned about any more. She was on CD for a few years. She is the only cat my vet ever saw that was female that was totally blocked. I am concerned because she seems to be heading towards building up crystals again.

Suzie is one * ell of a fighter I have to give her that.

Suzie is only 9 years old but had a rough start. She was born outside to a feral city cat. She is one of five of the cat family here. I also have one with a bad heart and one that can't see. In this economy it is really tough to keep up with their bills but I do my best. I also just rescued a kitten a few months ago that was very sick but she is well now. Found her in the trash cans outside.

Anyway I just wanted to give you all a little more of a run down and Suzie. I slept for a few hours last night with just a little less anxiety since I found this board, You all are very kind. Suzie has a lot of issues but she still wants to be around she isn't ready to go any where yet. She has clearly let me know that so hopefully you can all guide me through to help this very sweet cat.

Sometimes I am not even sure the insulin is getting in her. She is a long haired cat not much left of her since she is losing so much weight.

Is there anything out their high in calorie that is good for Diabetics cats?

17. traceyg

traceyg Member

It can be done, but you need to hometest and I strongly suggest that you read Kimber's excellent primer on using N : http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/view ... f=19&t=303>>

You guys are going to have to walk me through the hometesting. I am getting a newbie kit hopefuly that will help. It seems to me like an impossible thing to do. This has all been so much but I am thankful you guys are around. I will read the primer today. One way or another I am going to have her switched on the Insulin. The Prozinc one. Suzie goes on for a blood sugar next Tuesday again to the vet. I am going to go at it again with Dr Jones to get Suzie switched. With all the budget woes here does anyone know the cost? I have also been not feeling well. Lost my health insurance in Feb just when they found out my blood platlets were really low. I haven't been able to do anything about it but that is okay for now until I get Suzie straighted out a little. We had to stop the testing for me since the insurance stopped but I have been really tired and need to try to do something about that also once I get Suzie taken care of. I hate it but cost is a factor on the medication so it would be nice to know the cost of the Prozinc.

18. traceyg

traceyg Member

am in Wilmington DE. My vet is in West Chester PA, about an hour from you. >>

Thank you so much for being so sweet and offering to help and telling me about your vet.

Suzie does not travel well. She starts panting heavily and slobbers all over the place. Not sure why. My vet is only 5 minutes away and even that trip seems to be very hard on her. There is a vet I work with, Dr Fry, with a Trap Neuter release program that is about 40 minutes away. I volunteer to help them out. If I could get Suzie to her that would be great if I could get the funds together to start over but with the way Suzie doesn't travel well I can't figure out how. A 40 minute drive would be very hard on Suzie. Dr Fry has given me some advice with Suzie. She is also pro Prozinc and very much like you guys. Not old school and limited in thought like the vet I use now. I would hate to leave the vet I have now after 13 years but she doesn't seem to be able to handle a hard case like Suzie. At one time she could have but her practice has gotten big and It just has changed.

The problem is I can't get her to Dr Fry practice and what she can and will do for Suzie is limited to Suzie not being her patient which I understand.

If I can't work this out with my vet I am hoping you guys can help me figure out how to get Suzie to Dr Fry practice safely. I am afraid with the way she reacts in the car that she make not be able to make a trip that is 40 minutes there and 40 minutes back.

19. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Oh dearest Tracey, and, of course, you too, sweet puzzling Suzie,

I feel for you both so very much.

There is a product called Rescue Remedy. It's made, if I remember correctly, by a company called Bachs. It's made from flower essences and only requires a drop or two on both of a cat's ears. It soothes anxiety.

I remember the first time I used it on Giz. It was supposed to be our first curve at home; but, turned out to be my first fur shot... At plus 2 (2 hours after her shot), she was really cranky. She was over 500 (she was still on N at the time). That's when I broke out the Rescue Remedy. After a couple of drops on each of her ears, she was still cranky, but less so. She also started walking a bit like John Wayne...

I was beside myself worrying about the fur shot and blown curve, yet curious, so read more of the directions that came with it. It appears it's also soothing for humans with a drop or two under one's tongue. Which is exactly what I did (okay, maybe there were a couple of extra drops by mistake because I was so worried). After about 15 or 20 minutes, I no longer cared about blowing her first curve at home. I remember just relaxing in my chair and saying to both myself and my furry John Wayne wannabe swaying her way into the living room, there's always next weekend. Ahhhh, the power of flower essences...

I believe Bachs now makes and also offers an alcohol-free version of Rescue Remedy...

Venita will drive to you and Suzie, dearest Tracey. She can to teach you how to home test. She just might also bring you a more Suzie-friendly insulin. And, like Suzie, she is one *ell of a fighter. I can vouch for her. Nikki is still here because of her. Me, too...

I think you have a wondrous heart, Tracey. You scooped up Suzie from under a bush and bottle fed her. You saved another kitten from being trash. You are one of the reasons I still believe in humanity.

I wish I could do something for you and Suzie. Oh wait, I can. I can believe in you both. And, I do. Truly.

Much love and countless encouraging and hopeful hugs for you both,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, Giz, forever whispering in my heart...

20. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

traceyg you stated: "I was told about a week ago that cats with Hyperthyroid should not have any fish. " Just curious who told you that?

21. traceyg

traceyg Member

Dr Fry. I would love to take Suzie to her. SHe is just to far away.

"Just make sure she isn't eating a lot of fish or salt (iodine) because of the thyroid and blood pressure."

It makes sense the fish thing and the thyroid thing.

22. traceyg

traceyg Member

It soothes anxiety.>>

Yes I have used rescue remedy. I thought about that but am since Suzie is on meds for her blood pressure it concerns me. I know in Humans that herbs and blood pressure meds can mix and have very bad effects. Anyway have any knowledge here of how it works for cats?

23. traceyg

traceyg Member

Venita will drive to you and Suzie, dearest Tracey. She can to teach you how to home test. She just might also bring you a more Suzie-friendly insulin. And, like Suzie, she is one *ell of a fighter. I can vouch for her. Nikki is still here because of her. Me, too...>>

That would be so kind. I would be afriad to Suzie on a more frienly insulin with out a vet. What is something happened are the dosages the same etc. . . ?

24. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

I'm going to throw another vote for Venita. She probably at this point in her life knows more about FD cats than most vets. As far as getting Susie on a more Suzie friendly insulin and if something happens...well post here! But that evil something is far more likely on N than on the more gentle insulins, you just have to start low and go slow. And once Venita teaches you to home test, most of those fears of 'something' happening go way down. Because you will test her BEFORE insulin, so you will KNOW she is in a safe range, and if in doubt jump on the computer and post here. Just stick something in the title like..AMPS 183-PZI cat-dosing advice (translated AM PreShot #183 using PZI need advice). this will get you the best and brightest minds here that use your insulin.

God forbid and something does go wrong and she dips to low because well she is still a cat and they do unpredictable things, have the instructions on how to treat hypo printed out and posted on the frig, have the hypo kit ready to go and post here. You will find a ton of folks that regardless of time, will throw another pot of coffee on, and sit up with you all night to talk you through it. They will call you if you need a wake up call, they will hound you on the board until they see numbers and they will worry and pray like your Suzie was their very own kitty. Because that is just who we are here. Once you become a member of this board you become a member of a very large cat crazy family. We cheer the successes, we mourn the losses, and we worry over the sick and we fight like crazy for every extra sweet kitty and their humans. People who you may or may not ever meet in person will be here to hold your hand and paw through the entire time. And unlike a vet's office we have no busy signals, no closing time (we have literally all over the world), we don't close for holidays or weekends. There is always someone around that lives, breathes and sleeps Feline Diabetes, who either has or has had a sugarcat that they have successful treated.

Mel,Max & The Fur Gang

25. SaraJaye

SaraJaye Member

Perhaps with all the volunteer work you do with the other doctor (Dr. Fry) - that doctor may be able to be persuaded to do a housecall for you... it's worth asking!

26. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

27. traceyg

traceyg Member

have a hyperT kitty also and if her levels were 5.5,>> Yes I thought about that myself but Dr Jones didn't seem to be to concerned. Until this point most of what I had to deal with with Dr J was just routine stuff. Not something any were as challanging as this. I am going to work on getting some more funds together and find her another vet I guess. This is our slow period the end of your slow period in a few weeks business picks up. Not sure if Suzie has a few weeks like this but with the help of the board here hopefully we can get her through. She seems a little better today and even played a little yesterday. ';[[[[[[[[[[[

28. tuckers mom

Until you can raise funds, you could keep a spreadsheet and post here daily with your kitty's BGs, a few of us have used Humulin N and others have great experience with so many issues, that if you put together a spreadsheet we can help you figure out how your cat is doing and guide you a little on the insulin and things you need to look out for.

Would you be interested in doing that?

29. traceyg

traceyg Member

I wouldn't have a clue how to do a BG. I am not even sure I am getting the insulin in. Right now I think Suzie is getting blocked again. She also gets crystals. The vet told me to take her off the Cd and put her on the other food for Diabetes. She won't eat it. She was on CD dry. Now she is eating the Fancy feast medley Chicken in Garden greens and the Fancy feast appertizers. it is about all she will eat but I am concerned that is it starting to create crystals in her. She really wants to stick around you can tell that but I am not sure how I am going to manage all these problems without the help of a vet that seems capable of looking at more then one problem. Dr J seems to focus on one problem and forget the other exist and that isn't working. I believe she was trying to get the diabetes under control, the the hyperactive thyroid and deal with the crystals if they come up again and they seem to be coming up again. I am not sure.

Anyone know a way to get clean urine from a cat to get it tested?

I am trying to figure out how to get some urine out of her so I can take it over and get it tested. I called over to my vets today about it. Not much help there.. . . I am going to lock her in the bedroon with me without the other cats and see if the kitty littler box get used. At least that will be a starting point.

If I had any idea how to do a BG I would post the numbers here but I don't have a clue.

30. traceyg

traceyg Member

sent you a PM earlier today,>>

BTW what is a PM?

31. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Toward the top of your thread is Venita's post. Send her a private message. (At the bottom of her post, choose the pm button.). She is willing to help. If she can help you learn how to test at home, you can get bg levels.

For your pms, go to the top of the page. It should say 1 new message. click on it.

To get a urine test at hone, buy ketostix at the drugstore- they are the same as humans use. Some people can stick them right in the urine stream. We had to replace the litter with aquarium gravel (you can also use torn paper or lentils) because Oliver would not pee if we were in the room.

32. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Just so you know, there are ketostix on the way in your newbie kit.

33. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dearest Tracey -- sorry, sweet Suzie, this is definitely mom talk,

Is Suzie a high sitter in the box? The reason I'm asking is if she is, you can catch pee in one of those little cups that come with cough syrup. Pretty much as she's delivering it... It's not that gross, trust me.

Long ago and far away, Gizzie's ER vet wanted a urine sample (Giz was an outpatient by then). Something about checking specific gravity. I do not have a poker face, Tracey, so I'm sure I must have given her that "Duh" look. I do know I said something stupid like, Gravity? Doesn't pee always go down? Her vet patiently explained specific gravity to me; but, I confess I was just so tired... Drove the little darling home and told her, well, now I guess we're going to be learning about gravity. Giz had as much clue about gravity as I did...

Came home a few nights later (worked second shift) and discovered her litter box wasn't flooded. This was in the early days of our sugar dance, so I knew we were making progress. More importantly, I knew she was going to have to pee soon...

Grabbed a few of those cough syrup cups, some sandwich baggies, the phone, an ashtray, my cigs, and my little darling, and locked us all in the bathroom. Copped a squat on the toilet (lid down...) and called someone from The Board and said, I'm on pee watch. They probably thought I was nuts. Asked, How do you know she's going to pee? Said, Oh, trust me, she's going to pee.

Within a couple of minutes, I saw Gizzie starting to make her move. Threw the phone down on the bath mat and grabbed one of those cough syrup cups and just slid it under her. Direct hit! Started laughing! Then heard a voice from my bath mat saying, Get more! Filled three little cough syrup cups...

Poured them all into a sandwich baggie. Then put that sandwich baggie into another, and yet another. I'm talking hermetically sealed...

Then drove 20 minutes through a rather torrential rain storm (how appropriate?) to deliver the hermetically sealed baggies to the ER hospital. It was around midnight by then... Imagine the surprise of the triage team as I burst through the door with no animal; just a baggie inside two baggies... Explained that the good Dr. A. wanted to check Gizzie's gravity and I realized pee must be delivered in a timely manner...

So a sleepy vet tech accepted my somewhat drenched delivery. Asked, do you notice anything interesting about my package? She looked, and then said, no litter! You are the pee goddess!

Drove home in the pouring rain thinking to myself, I'm sure my parents had different expectations and goals for me; but, for today, I was a pee goddess!

It is so interesting dancing with a sugar cat. I do believe it brings out the best in us all...

Much love and our countless hopeful, encouraging hugs continue for you both,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, Giz, who I still miss to this day...

PS: Got a call the next day. Giz had great gravity...

34. traceyg

traceyg Member

Deb your story is just what I needed. If you can do a dance like that to get the pee I think Suzie and I can hang in. The good news is she did pee so I know she isn't blocked. One more thing I can rule out. Vette is going to come help us figure out how to test the sugar. I am in the antique business so in the mean time I am going to try to find a few things to flip to get Suzie to another Vet. I also have to get the car inspected I have until the end of this month. It isn't it good shape.

Anyway I apperciate you kindness everyones help here more then any of you know. I don't like that my vet isn't paying attention to the hyperthyriod anymore. I think as someone pointed out it is important to keep up with that also. Well let me go see if I can get some work done for Suzie. Here is a photo of Suzie when she was healthy doesn't look anything like this now.

[​IMG]

35. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

oh Deb :) :lol:

Tracey, if you ever need cheering, Deb is certainly the gal :) Her Giz stories are legendary :)

Have you read Dr LIsa's page on diet and urinary issues? Crystals are normal to a certain degree, and a canned food high in moisture and protein SHOULD be enough to keep those crystals from causing a blockage....I don't know how dry CD ever worked considering dry food can dehydrate your cat, therefore increasing the likelihood of crystals. But I'm by no means an expert on the chemistry of crystals (two different kinds) so please read Dr Lisa's info.

Jen

36. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

ohhh - she is SO beautiful!!!!!!

37. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dearest Tracey, and, of course, you too gorgeous Suzie,

Wow, she's a beauty! I knew she would be. And, I'm sure still is, and will be even more beautiful...

I'm so glad she peed! YAY!!!

And, I'm so glad Venita is is going to teach you how to home test! YAY!!! Again!!!

As for catching pee, you need to hear Mary's (Mary, Jazz, and Katy from the UK) tale. She really went the distance! But, that tale is up to her to tell...

Did I mention, it is so interesting dancing with a sugar cat? ;-) Smilies aside, I really mean it.

And, Tracey? In countless ways, we've all been helped here beyond measure...

Much love and our countless, hopeful, encouraging hugs continue,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, Jen's right! Giz will always be legendary in my heart...

38. traceyg

traceyg Member

Suzie is going through the choice of foods that she will eat quickly. She was eating the Fancy Feast Medleys Chicken Fare. From the charts it had pretty good numbers. She now does not really want that. She likes foods that are cut or sliced with a little juice or gravy. She is not a pate kind of girl. Does anyone have a suggestion on what to try with her next. Since she has been diagnosed we have been running the gamit of foods. After I convince her it is okay which sometimes I can and sometimes I can't she eats like crazy but she is still very fussy about what she will eat.

I am impressed with you guys there is so much to do so much to learn.

39. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Fancy Feast Chunky Chicken and Chunky Turkey.

40. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Have you seen this: Getting your cat to eat

Unfortunately most of the sliced varieties have gravy which puts them up in the 15 -20+ carb range. I wonder if, as a stop gap to get her eating, you could wash off the gravy and just serve the meat with some warm water. You could also cut up the pate and add some warm water to make gravy. Oh, what we will do for our kitties........

41. MommaOfMuse

I have a couple of civies (non-diabetics) that are gravy boys, so my compromise with them is to make the pate flavors mixed with hot water, as that melts the jelly like stuff on the sides of the can and makes a kind of gravy. I also will mix in some chunks of plain boiled chicken so they think they are getting chunky food with gravy. On the days that I let them have a fish (about once a week) I drain the liquid off a can of tuna and mix that in with the pate. I've also been known to chop up cans of sardines really fine and mix those in with their food. Just make sure that both the tuna and sardines are packed in water only. Since I feed 11 cats it can be a challenge to find things that everyone can agree on. Especially since 3 of them are siamese with all the quirks that come with being owned by meezers.

Mel, Max & The Fur Gang

42. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

When Nikki came to rescue me, she was offered only gluten-free Gourmet Fancy Feast back then. Then only pate. Well, we had to adjust. She's now a big fan of chunky chicken, chunky turkey, and sometimes chunky chopped grill. Still under 10% carbs, last time I checked -- and still hope...

I think she gets bored and likes variety, so I try to provide same... Sometimes even let her have some flaked trout or flaked tuna, which, sadly isn't probably good for Suzie. But, maybe a teaspoon here or there wouldn't be so bad though. Can HT people help with a teaspoon here or there of fish question? Or is sprinkling a bit of parmesan cheese on their food okay for an HT sugar baby?

Giz actually preferred Romano. She had an interesting taste palate. She could have been a judge on Top Chef...

Cats... Sheesh...

Much love and our encouraging, hopeful, hungry hugs continue for you both,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, Giz, probably still ordering and enjoying the shrimp from Yung Chow fried rice at The Bridge...

43. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Okay...

... sometimes Nikki likes me to pet her buns when she eats... It seems to encourage her...

Maybe it's true that no one likes to eat alone... Could explain those friggin 4AM wake ups...

Cats... Sheesh...

44. traceyg

traceyg Member

Suzie really is not looking well again today. She hasn't looked right since all this started. I am hoping when Ventia gets here that will help but I am afriad she has to many issues. There is no cash left to get her to the vet. Not sure it would matter taking her to my vet.

The car broke down yesterday and needs to be replaced but I put all my money in suzie. So even if I could get her to the vet I can't get her to the vet. She is eating but she seems to be sick in the stomche not throwing up but not feeling well not looking well and steadily losing weight.

She is sweet and really fighting. She wants to stick around I can tell. I fear thought my lack of funds and having a vet that won't work with me is going to kill her.

I don't know how you guys do it. this is hard. It is just me and the cats no family so there is no one to turn to that way.

The one thing I can say is that with Dr J at least I have been there long enough that if suzie does into crisis I can work something out payment wise. I have never had to but times have never been as rough as this.

45. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Oh Tracey, I am sorry things are looking so grim this morning. I am sure just talking to someone as experienced as Venita will help. It feels so great to know that others are and have been in the same miserable boat and they didn't sink! Hang on - help is coming!

46. MommaOfMuse

No really advice hon,

Just tons of cyberhugs ((((((Tracey & Susie))))))

So sorry you two are having such a rough time. If anyone can help it will be Venita. She has more tricks up her sleeves than most magicians. We will be keeping all our fingers, toes and paws crossed for you both.

Mel, Max & The Fur gang

47. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

You mentioned that you don't know how we all do this. I can't answer for anyone or anyone's precious furry. Only for myself and Nikki -- and, Giz, way back when... We just keep putting one foot and one paw in front of the other and, somehow, we keep walking. And, dancing...

You said you can tell Suzie wants to stick around and that she's a fighter. Suzie is how you find this glorious community of people and furries who are rooting and praying for you both. I cannot even begin to tell you how many times the people and furries here have helped and inspired me to keep dancing with Giz, way back when, and now Nikki...

Much love and our countless hopeful, healing hugs and prayers continue for you both,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, Giz, forever dancing in my heart...

48. traceyg

traceyg Member

Venita will help.>>

I am so glad she is here and the board. If not I would not be able to get through this. I would have to put Suzie down and I don't want to do that. We are hanging in until she gets here. Suzie isn't ready to go any where yet.

Along with a few other things the power steering went out on the van. I had a hang of a time to get it home. My ribs are very sore and so are my arms. I am sure that is why it seems so dismisal today again. Suzie had a rought day yesterday also in the heat. I think it wore her out a little. Every thing she does every breath she takes. It is like living on eggshell because I love her so. She is a real sweetie. Has had health problems all her life since I rescued her and her sister from under the bush and two others. Angel her sister is blind but she is like a horse. Same age and she is healthy and mouthie : )

Suzie was sleeping in the tub and it looked like she was getting ready to stop breathing so I gave her the whole speech about how it is her decision etc. The lights were off and of course I was crying. Well after afew minutes she looked up at me and yawned like hey what you talking about I feel like &*) but I am not ready to go anyw here yet. I wish you would have seen her face. I couldn't do anything but laugh. I just put her out on the porch it is screened in so don't worry it is her favorite place to be.

Do you ever get used to living in the edge of life and death with someone you love? That is were it seems Suzie and I are. I am very sore today so I am sure that has a lot to do with my thinking. . .

Thanks for listening it really does help. Most of my friends around here think I should put her down. Interestingly enought they are dog people. Their dogs have been in much worse shape then Suzie and they drug it out. It is always easier to advise I think when it is someone elses.

Anyway I am just venting. Trying to get us through the day. I know it could be much worse. I could be living in Japan.

thanks for listending that is all I need for now to help Suzie get through the day.

49. MommaOfMuse

Awww Sweetie,

Vent to us anytime you please that is what we are here for, or at least part of the reason we are all here. I've been fairly blessed with my Maxwell that all he had to deal with was just being diabetic, but in the time that I've been here I have seen so many cats that I wondered how they kept breathing when they first arrived, are now running and playing.

Even my own Maxwell looked like a walking rack of bones when I first adopted him ( I adopted him from this very board). That was on October 15 2010, today I have a sleek and playful new member of my furry family. Although if it hadn't been for this board and the wonderful community that helped me put one foot/paw in front of the other I'm not sure I would have said yes when Venita approached me about adopting him. I'm forever grateful that I did, I now can't imagine what I would do if I didn't have his fluffy body curled up in my arms at night or him purring contently on my pillow.

If there is a way to pull Susie through, these folks will find it, they have worked more miracles with more cats.

Just keep fighting for your precious girl and we will be fighting for her right along side of you.

Mel, Max & The Fur Gang

50. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Tracey,

Did you get my private message here on the Board about coming to see you and Suzie on Thursday. I've haven't heard back from you. Go to the top left of the screen, next to user control panel, and there is a link to new messages.

Is Suzie currently receiving insulin shots? Are you testing her at all with the Relion meter that Lori and Tom sent you?

Venita

51. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dearest Tracey -- sorry, sweet Suzie, this is mom talk,

The answer is no; but, could be yes.

My hands used to shake as I put the key in the door after a long day's work wondering if Giz was still alive in the very rough and very tenuous early days after her diagnosis and three days/nights in ICU for DKA.

She was on N back then, and I was incredibly nervous about us doing this dance...

I started testing her pee pretty fast with KetoDiastix so knew she was diabetic (spilling sugar in her pee) and, thankfully, had no ketones; but, was hesitant about home testing. It took me one month and 28 days. And, no, I'm not proud of the fact that it took me that long... But, apparently, that was when I was ready. Giz was certainly surprised!

Here's the deal, Tracey. I stopped walking on eggshells when I started home testing Giz. Yes, I still dropped to my knees every time she greeted me at the door which was often; but, it was from gratitude, not from fear or dread.

And, I found myself putting the key confidently in the door when I came home each night.

There is such a good feeling in your heart when you become proactive. You just smile knowing you're doing the absolute best you can do!

I'm sorry if what I'm about to type out loud seems harsh, because that certainly isn't my intention. And, trust me, Tracey, this is coming from someone who truly feels your emotional and financial pressures, okay? Open the box from Lori and Tom and start home testing. Answer Venita's PM. Start being proactive. Stop walking on eggshells...

You'll not only be saving Suzie, you'll be saving yourself. You'll just find yourself feeling better about a lot of things...

It's a leap of faith. Just leap, dear Tracey. Leap!

Much love and our countless hopeful, healing, and encouraging prayers and hugs continue for you both,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, Giz, who taught me to be a better person... And, who then sent me Nikki, just to make sure I hadn't forgotten all her lessons...

52. traceyg

traceyg Member

Open the box from Lori and Tom and start home testing. Answer Venita's PM. >>

I did but I don't know the first thing to do with it and of course I answer Venita PM. No you don't sound harsh at all. I have been trying to get her pee to check with the strips. I believe she probably has the keytones you guys are talking about. The reality sadly thought is right now there is no money and no car. I love suzie with all my heart would give any thing for her but I can't give what I don't have. Ventia will be here Monday hopefully she will be able to help. I do believe right now she is Suzie only chance because my vet isn't worth a hill of beans right now. .

I have someone picking me up for work. It will be a long day for Suzie alone so please keep her in your prayers. Hopefully I will be able to flip a few things today for her. I am in the antique business and we have been hit really hard by the economy as most people have.

I am glad I found this place and your people and that you are all so helpful. You are all suzie's gaurdian angels. Thanks

53. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dearest Tracey, and, of course, you too, precious Suzie,

I hope today goes well for you both. And, I'm glad Venita is visiting tomorrow.

Please know that you and Suzie continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

Much love and countless, hopeful, healing hugs for you both,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, Giz...

54. Sue and Oliver (GA)

For the ketones. Shred up some newspaper and put it in a clean litter box. Usually they want to christen it right away. You can collect the sample easily then. Compare the wet strip to a clean dry one from the box.

You can wait for Venita or try on your own today. Try the meter out on yourself first so you know how it works. Heat the rice sack and see if she likes her ear heated. If things are going well, make a poke on the outside edge of the ear. If you don't see blood right away, do another quick poke in the same spot.

If it doesn't work, no worries. Venita will help. If it does work, you are on your way.

Be sure to have a treat ready, successful or not.

We are all thinking about you and your sweet kitty and hoping things go well.

55. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Hi folks,

I had a most pleasant trip to and visit with Tracey and Suzie. Driving through the rolling low mountains of central PA, an area where I lived for several years, brings a calm happiness to my spirit. I have never been in Tracey's town before. Quite upscale I thought for a small PA city somewhat off the beaten path. Jim and I may have to go there this summer for some Triple A Phillies baseball. (I don't enjoy the crowds and cost of the major league ballpark.)

Tracey and a friend and I spent about 2 hours learning the equipment for hometesting, and then trying it out on Ms. Suzie. Suzie is a beautiful cat who is in much better shape than I expected. She was not an unwilling subject for hometesting, and she got FF chicken appetizer as a testing treat. Tracey tested with a great deal of knowledge and calm.

I expect great things from Tracey and Suzie. Suzie has other health problems, but I don't expect the diabetes to be a huge challenge for either of them, once they can get an appropriate insulin. Once I return from FL at the beginning of next month, Tracey and I will tag-team Suzie to Dr. Fry, and we expect to get a script for Lantus. For now, Suzie remains on N, and Tracey will be asking questions about dosage, I am sure, as she starts to get hometesting results.

I won't be online after Wednesday to check in on how Tracey and Ms. Suzie are doing, but I know she is in the best hands possible here. And Tracey knows it too.

56. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dearest Venita,

Thank you so much for this update! I'm glad your found the scenery calming to your spirit. You have a lot on your plate now...

I'm also glad Tracey had a friend along to learn about home testing. It never hurts to have a watchful back up!

I'm particularly glad to hear sweet Suzie is still a beautiful cat in much better shape than expected...

Dearest Tracey,

I believe in you.

It's been a while since my dealings with N; but, I do have Giz's logbooks and memories. I'd be happy to help if I can. But, do post on the N insulin support group here as well... They're dancing with it as I type...

Much love and color me calmer, as well, kind of hugs for you all,

57. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Deb, there is no traffic on the N support group - someone may post once a month or so but get no replies.

Tracey, I would suggest you post here on Health for dose advice. Be sure to put Humulin in your subject line.

58. traceyg

traceyg Member

Well I just posted here but don't see it. Ventia was very helpful. I am so glad she came to help Suzie and I. I know she has a lot of her own stuff going on so that makes it even more special. I am also glad Suzie looks better to her then she expected.

I have been giving Suzie water with a syringe that last few days and that has seemed to help. She still is a very sick kitty but I think with the board and getting the insulin changed there is some hope that she will have a quality life again. If I can get the diabetes under control perhaps we can get the thyroid under control better.

I am going to ask the vet I have now again to change Suzie to the Lantus. I looked forward to getting Suzie to Dr Fry until then we will see what happens. I will have lots of questions and I appreciate you guys holding my hand to get Suzie through all this. I am very grateful. Hopefully we can get some quality back in her life again.

59. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

It sounds like you're breathing again... That's such a good start.

It's been my humble experience that cats are incredibly intuitive creatures; and, as such, tend to feel our emotions and angst pretty much while we're emoting and angsting... They also feel our hope.

I remember seeing my hope reflected in Gizzie's eyes... Then again, maybe I felt her hope reflected in my heart...

Today is my third anniversary dancing with Nikki! I choose to share this most happy event with you and Suzie, dearest Tracey.

Much love and our countless hopeful, healing hugs continue for you and your precious Suzie,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, Giz, forever dancing in my heart, and who sent me Nikki...

PS: We celebrated with some deli turkey...

60. traceyg

traceyg Member

Today is my third anniversary dancing with Nikki! I choose to share this most happy event with you and Suzie, dearest Tracey.>>

Well HAPPY ANNIVERSARY. Thanks is so wonderful. You and nikki will have to do something special.

Thank you for sharing I am so glad you did. that makes me feel much better about Suzie chances on getting some more quality life. She does seem to be doing better with getting the extra water with the syrgine.

Ventia thank you room temp. was the trick for the water and a little less then I was giving her. She seems to be feeling better since we have been doing that the last few days.

This morning instead of rushing off to do all the important things of the day suzie and I just laid in bed for a few minutes well I gave her a good head rub. She loves to have her head rubbed. Thank you again for walking us through. I am sure we will have more question Suzie and I.

You all are wonderful.

61. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Thank you!

There's nothing like snuggling in bed with a cat, is there?

I'm glad she seems to be doing better. You sound like you're doing better, too...

Much love and our countless hopeful, healing hugs and prayers continue for you both,
    Deb and Nikki (Suzie, deli turkey is yummy!) -- and, Giz, forever celebrating in my heart...

62. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Tracey,

How's the testing going? What sort of #s are you getting?

63. traceyg

traceyg Member

How's the testing going? What sort of #s are you getting?>>
    Went to test her yesterday and she got away ran under the king size bed and I tried to get her out. Did something to my already injured back couldn't move for a while. Actually it was kind of nice to see some fight in Suzie. We are going to try it again today after I go pick up the truck. Since my back was so sore I figure I would leave Suzie won that battle for the day and start again today.

She had an air of attitude all day like hmm got you. It was kind of cute. I knew though if I pushed it yesterday that she was never going to make it easy for me. She usually is a easy cat. She isn't usually like that. As you saw she is a very sweet and workable cat. I guess she just decided that she had enough for a little while. I get days like that I understand.

I was able to pick her up some treats yesterday that might make it easier. Talked to Dr fry and she is more then willing to see Suzie. I am going to call today for an appointment for the 7th.

I believe the shorter needles you gave me are making a differance. I still do at te scruff of the neck and I think perhaps the longer needles were going through the other side. I see a differance in her.

I am so glad you guys are here. I will start posting her numbers as soon as we get them.

64. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I know you will be able to test her; just a matter of time. Glad she is showing spunk.

I do worry about her getting 5U of N without being tested. Especially if you think she wasn't always getting the shot or the full shot. Please be sure to watch her for hypo symptoms. You might also want to pull that dose down some until you start getting BG numbers. That dose was set based on vet curves, and most cats have higher BG levels at the vet due to stress than they do at home.

I am looking forward to the 7th!!

65. Jen & Squeak

Tracey, are you anywhere near Scranton?

66. traceyg

traceyg Member

I posted earlier but don't see it so I will try again.

I am in Reading. A few hours away.

I tried to test Suzie. I managed to get some blood but it didn't go easy. Poor thing. The meter though wouldn't read it keep getting a flashing e then a 3 switch the strip and got a flashing e and a 4. I am using contour. Does anyone have a clue what I am doing wrong. Thanks

67. Jen & Squeak

I figured you might be further south ..I'm going to be north of Scranton for a bit so I thought I'd check.

I'm not sure what that error means but they should have info on their website or you can call them.

68. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

The error codes start on p.34 of your user guide, Tracey.

E3 = The meter is sending a used test strip.

E4 = Test strip not inserted correctly.

You are now on p.2 of your thread, Tracey. I believe your post with your location is on page 1.

69. traceyg

traceyg Member

Well we tried and failed.She tried to get away and I tried to hold her. I did get some blood but I got another era reading. If I keep poking her and hurting her she isn't going to let me do anything with her. She is already getting pills a few times a day and two insulin shots. Not sure what to do but I am not poking her again today. She isn't going to come near me anymore.

70. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dearest Tracey, and, of course, you too, spunky Suzie,

Ahhh, don't you just love cat-titude? Go, Suzie!

Have you tested yourself? That's what I did because I wanted to make sure I knew how to use the meter without the stress of having Cujo -- I'm sure I meant to say Gizmo! -- in between my knees on the first attempt... After a quick lesson in timing the prick and sticking it in the meter, was good to go. Also learned that night to wear jeans, not jammies...

I see dearest Venita has responded to your Contour meter error messages. I do believe she knows the error message page for just about every meter ever made. ;-) (I have a different meter and had to spend some time with page 14 to get it to read in American English...)

Hope your back is feeling better soon, Tracey. It sounds like you're going to have to be in top physical form to catch your precious Suzie! There is another way to catch them, though... It's called the power of treats! Giz taught me volumes about the power of treats...

Much love and our countless hopeful, healing hugs continue for you both,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, Giz, still yelling, treats! Mommy, treats! forever in my heart...

PS: You could also try storing boxes, etc. under the bed to either block her from getting under there; or, to make the distance more arm's length friendly...

71. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Next time you get blood, scrape it onto the top of a fingernail. Then you can test from there, and not keep her waiting for the meter to get into position.

(((Tracey))) It does get easier. You may need to let her teach you how she wants to be held to be tested.

72. traceyg

traceyg Member

Next time you get blood, scrape it onto the top of a fingernail. >>

That is a very good tip. We are going to try again tomorrow. I tried it in myself 3 times and the meter worked fine. We are going to try it again tomorrow and I will try the finger nail thing. Very good idea. It dries to fast in the ear. Is there a way to get it so it doens't hurt her?

You could also try storing boxes, etc. under the bed to either block her from getting under there; or, to make the distance more arm's length friendly...>>

Yes that is one thing we I did I blocked off the bed so she couldn't get under it.

73. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dearest Tracey -- mom talk, sweet Suzie,

Good move! Although I hope that isn't how you hurt your back...

With Giz, I tended to poke in pretty much the same spot every time, so after a while, she developed a little callous on her ear. And, that's where I'd aim. Nikki's a bit more skittish, so I haven't been able to hit same spot consistently. Speed helps, although there's still some flinching. Usually her biting me makes her feel better...

I can't wait till you get your first successful test... You'll be so excited! Please keep us posted, okay, Tracey?

Much love and our countless hopeful, healing hugs for you both,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, Giz, the furry poster child for treats forever in my heart...

74. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Tracy I use the contour and I think when you either don't get enough blood in their or it goes in too slowly to be read the meter will stick on a number and give ERROR. I'm sure Venita should you how to 'sip' the blood up.
    As for the ritual of testing. Before long your baby will be loving it, maybe purring thru it. It takes a little time. It's your job to make it a lovely experience full of sweet encouraging words for kitty and a great treat too!
    You might try practicing the 'ritual' every so often without actually poking her. Just go to the spot with her and go thru the motions of loving on her and giving her treats. Make sure your testing spot is a spot she really likes too.
    Tom and most kitties here grow rather fond of the pokie pokie dance.
    I sing, or talk to him, I rub his shoulders, I really think he believes it is our 'special time' together.
    HUGS
    Lori and Tom

75. traceyg

traceyg Member

Well We got it this morning. It wasn't easy thought and it can't keep being a battle. I took it right before I gave her the insulin. I was concerned still am a little because she threw up a little this morning before the insulin. It was the thick liquid stuff. That usually is a sign of start of renal failure. I have been through a few cats with that. I gave her 1/4 of the pepcid that Ventia left here. She seemed better. Then gave her the insulin and have been keeping on eye on her. It is 4 Am so that was about an hour ago. Before I gave her the Insulin her numbers were 323. Later on today I will try to test her again.

With the high protein diets you have here do you all notice an increase in the rate of Diabetic cats with Renal failure?

76. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Welcome to the Vampire Club! Bet you never thought you'd hear those words, did you?

What dose did you give her?

That's a good question and I'm reasonably sure someone here will have the answer. Giz wasn't officially diagnosed CRF, now called CKD (chronic kidney disease) until towards the end of our 4-year dance. It could have had more to do with being 18 than her diet. I'll be curious to read the responses you get...

As for testing being a battle, it won't always be. Once you become less tense and more confident (and speedier!), Suzie will pick up on that. She'll also come to realize that you're helping her feel better. Speaking of which, I hope her tummy calms down.

I'm really proud of you both!

Much love and our countless hopeful, tummy healing, and encouraging hugs continue,

PS: It's encouraged to test, feed, and then shoot maybe 15-20 minutes after feeding. The reason for this order is that you don't want Suzie to decide to toss her cookies after getting insulin, particularly N. You want food on board and staying in her tummy, and then give her the shot. Make sense?

77. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

Tracey, a cat's natural diet is high protein. It doesn't contribute to renal failure. Diabetes itself, however, in all animals, is hard on the kidneys. And with cats, their kidneys are their most vulnerable organ. Going with a "Catkins" diet is probably the best way to ensure that all cats live a healthy, long life.

By the way, would you consider starting a new thread for you and Suzie? This one has gotten a bit long and info is going to be missed. Thanks!

And welcome to Club Vampyre! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.