New to Feline diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by GA Carol & Dante, Apr 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GA Carol & Dante

GA Carol & Dante Member

Hello! My rescued baby, Dante, 6 years old was diagnosed 3 weeks ago with diabetes after giving a blood sample to have his teeth cleaned. I have tried several high protein diets and they are a bit pricy. After reading your forum, I learned about the hazards of carageenen and have opted for optional brand names other than the prescription given for Hills DM and Purina MD. Dante is currently on Hounds and Gatos which is 100% meat without grains, by-products and zero carb and Cats in the Kitchen. . I have just found this brand and it is quite inexpemsive: Mio9 Ahi Tuna and Chunky Mackerel Cat Food. Has anyone herad of this brand? I cna't seem to find any valid reviews on this. Thanking you in advance, I have already learned so much for this forum, I am soooooo glad I joined!
    -Carol-

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.

We strongly encourage folks to home test the blood glucose with an inexpensive human glucometer (see my signature link Glucometer Notes), feed a species appropriate low carb canned or raw diet (see Cat Info), and lobby to get an effective, long lasting insulin for cats (ProZinc, Levemir, Lantus, or BCP PZI).

Food changes may drop the glucose 100-200 mg/dL and may drop the insulin dose 1-2 units; please start home testing before making food changes.

3. GA Carol & Dante

GA Carol & Dante Member

Hello BJM;

Thank you, and thank you for your prompt response. I read your attachments and Dr. Pierson's report (several times, previously) to gain more insight; I didn't realize changing food may have such an impact as described in your response. Although Dante was diagnosed 3 weeks ago, I have been buying different food brands and luckily, he womps everything down rather quickly! I have him on Lantus at 2 units, 2x daily and did 2 glucose curves in the past 2 weeks. As far as the testing goes, Dante knows I am a novice and can feel my stress in trying to draw blood from his ear. Due to this, I am unsure if the results are accurate or elevated due to his stress level, or should I say, my stress level. We still do not have his dosage regulated yet, as his numbers vary from 207 to 334 from his evening to morning injections. I test before his breakfast meal and usually 3-4 hours after his evening meal.

I will heed your advice and keep him on his current
    Hounds and Gatos canned food until he can be more regulated, as I just bought another case of said cat food. Concerning the glucometer, I bought the Relion Prime prior to research; my vet said that the Relion brand was a good brand for animal testing. The main objective is to hopefully have Dante off the insulin sooner rather than later by controlling his diet; however, the Rx diet prescribed for him is not something I am comfortable with. As such, my search for a better canned food began! Prior to diagnosis, Dante had only been on Science Diet dry since 4 months old, with every Sunday, the Science Diet canned food, so where did I go wrong?? He was maybe 2-3 pounds overweight, hmmm....again, thank you for your time with me!

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Many of us have had dry food diabetics. That food didn't help, for sure!

Lantus has its nadir between +5 to +7 hours post shot. The nadir can and does vary day to day. And some cats may nadir earlier or later than that. Testing at different times during that period can help you determine just how low he is going, which is how the dose is adjusted - not on the pre-shot glucose levels.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.