New to Forum- 180 before insulin morning reading

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ANN C, Dec 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ANN C

ANN C New Member

Casper, 12 lb, 11 yr old neutered male cat diagnosed in late October still not regulated. Have changed diet to bff canned and vet and I decided some of the reading fluctuations we were seeing were from rebound so we dropped him to 2 units and stabilized his diet. Doing first round of testing and pre-eating blood test is 180. I think 100-150 is target range so am concerned about giving insulin when he is so close to the range. Do I hold off or give him his 2 units?
    Thank you for any guidance. This has been a real rollercoaster.
    Ann

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

We rely very heavily on past BG data as laid out in the spreadsheet we use here in order to give good advice. Would you consider setting it up (help available if needed) and putting in all BG numbers you have?
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

Knowing whether 2 u is OK to give on a pre shot BG of 180 is total guesswork with no data to look at. It can depend on the insulin you're using (you haven't specified) as well as the kitty's responses (moderate versus dramatic). For example, if you use Vetsulin (Caninsulin) that 2 u *might* be too much because of Vetsulin's strong action. It can pull BG down quickly and low in reactive kitties. If you were using Lantus, a slower onset, gentler action insulin, there wouldn't likely be a problem giving 2 u on a pre shot BG of 180 unless the kitty was very newly diagnosed.

3. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

Kris,

I think Ann just recently switched Casper to Pro Zinc (per her post on welcome board).

Ann,

Please confirm ProZinc just started after diet change? There is a ProZinc board and will probably be best to get info quickly on dosing there.

Hoping someone will chime in with help to direct you, I am newer here and not totally sure who is an expert ProZinc user.

I would verify from ProZinc people here before shooting 2 units, only because if this is a new start on insulin after a break and reducing carbs, that dose might be too high. I am not an expert, just going from what I have learned here so far.

4. ANN C

ANN C New Member

5. ANN C

ANN C New Member

Casper has been on ProZinc from the start but the dose has changed. We initially started with 2 and going up 1/2 unit each time, ended at 4 with an accidental double dose (my daughter and I messed up day after Tgiving) and after he survived that we revisited the dosage and stabilized his diet. I will head over to the ProZinc board but after feeding 1 5.5 oz can BFF (low carb, high protein) @ 2 hr ago and administering one unit of ProZinc about an hour ago his reading at 12:26 EST was 415. Like I said this has been a rollercoaster.

6. Kris & Teasel

I guarantee that we can help you figure this out and get Casper doing better! :)

If I understood you correctly you fed him, waited an hour and then gave 1 unit of ProZinc? Where does that BG reading at 12:26 PM fit with respect to the timing of the shot - ie., how many hours after the shot? We're all over the globe here so don't use clock times. We refer to hours after an insulin dose - eg. one hour after is called +1, two hours after is +2, etc.

Here's what we usually do:
    1. test BG in AM (no food 2 hours prior) to see if it's high enough to support the planned insulin dose
    2. feed the AM meal
    3. give insulin either while kitty is eating or shortly after (no need for a longer wait or large meal because ProZinc onsets about 2 hours after a shot
    4. feed through the day in several small meals or allow kitty to graze
    5. repeat step 1 at PM dose time (no food in the two hours prior).
    What is your normal BG test and feeding routine?

7. Kris & Teasel

Whoops! I reread your post and understand you now! :confused:
    1. fed one 5.5 oz can of low carb food
    2. gave 1 u of ProZinc shortly after (?)
    3. tested BG at +2 and it was 415.
    Please verify that this is correct. If so, that high 415 at +2 could be a food spike, part of what we'd call a "bounce" cycle or an indication that 1 u is too little insulin. Without context it's really hard to know, impossible really.

8. Kris & Teasel

"Today is first day I am running a glucose curve and right off the bat, the first reading is 180, his lowest starting reading so I posted to health to figure out if I should give him his 2 units of insulin or not. Will be retesting in 2 hours which will be just before noon."

I just saw the above in your post on the welcome forum. Please clarify: was that 180 your pre shot AM test? Was the 415 from a test 2 hours later? It could still be a food spike number but could also be the start of a bounce. Broken record here: context is everything! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.