New to group Lucky is newly diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Barbara-Ann, Sep 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barbara-Ann

Barbara-Ann New Member

Hi Everyone,
    My cat is a very romantic, love sponge brown tiger. Lucky is 13yrs old and diagnosed today with diabetes. His symptoms were weight loss, unkempt coat and probably excessive thirst and urination. Lucky has no other health problems other than being born in the wild with a umbilical hernia which was repaired when he was neutered.
    I hope I am posting in the correct location.
    I am a second time diabetic mom but am realizing much has changed since 2008.
    I am looking for support, tips and advice on nutrition, exercise and insulin dosing.
    Chewy.com will be delivering on Thursday the ProZinc, syringes, DM food.
    In the meantime my vet let me borrow ProZinc and syringes and I will return when my order comes in.
    Lucky was at 359 from blood work yesterday. We started him at 2 lines on a .3 cc syringe. Dr. said he was in early stage. His number was 158 in June and since then has lost 2lbs. He does do a lot of crying.
    I also ordered RAWZ turkey and chicken pate and even had the company send samples of not yet for sale samples of duck and rabbit and also some kind of shredded chicken.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    I am pretty overwhelmed at this point already after losing my cat Chatty in July to sudden liver failure she also had the thyroid. I lost my forever soul kitty of 13 yrs Sebastian to kidney failure in April. I lost my Gingy to anaphylactic shock in February due to idiopathic inflammation of the throat. Finally my mom’s kitty Cali we lost in October 2017 when she became wobbly in the back and after blood work and x-rays showed nothing a week later became paralyzed from the neck down.
    I am hoping to giving Lucky many more wonderful cat years.
    Best to all two leg and fours,
    Barbara-Ann Gillespie

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome! We are here for you. If you have any specific questions write on the main health forum. I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home.

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome!

4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome Barbara_Ann and Lucky. I am so very sorry to hear of the losses of beloved fur kids recently. You are in the right place to help Lucky though. It may take awhile to catch up, but I have no doubt that you will. The information is here, support and advice also. You don't mention if you have home testing supplies so that you can track how the insulin is affecting Lucky and to keep him safe. If you post further questions in the Main Forum, you will get plenty of responses and assistance.

5. Barbara-Ann

Barbara-Ann New Member

Hi Lou,
    Thanks so much for your warm welcome.
    I do not have a tester yet as I have been researching all day. I would like one that I could track with my phone. Any recommendations?

Thanks
    Barbara-Ann

6. Barbara-Ann

Barbara-Ann New Member

Thank you!!!

Sharon14 likes this.
  7. Barbara-Ann

Barbara-Ann New Member

Hi Janet,
    Where in N.J.?

Thanks,
    Barbara-Ann

8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Oh! I see you're in Bayonne! I am your neighbor.. North Arlington! Interestingly enough my partners aunt lives in Bayonne and HER cat was recently diagnosed as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.