New to group Nicole / Aurora

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nicole Z, Apr 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole Z

Nicole Z Well-Known Member

Hello Everyone
    My name is Nicole and my newly diagnosed diabetic kitty is Aurora. I adopted Aurora and another kitty from the same shelter a year and a half ago in Feb 2016.
    Aurora is a Long Hair Calico Tortie and is aprox 9.5 years old and weighs aprox 14 lbs.
    Aurora was diagnosed in March 2017 as diabetic after taking her in for a routine annual wellness exam
    Vet did a urine dip stick test to confirm after the blood work was showing high glucose. I don’t know her exact number but she was in the 400 range on day we did urine test
    Vet immediately started her on 2 units 2x per day of Lantus
    After 10 days we went back to the vet for a curve test and her insulin was increased to 3 units 2x per day since she was still in the 300 range. 10 days following that we went back for another curve test and vet is
    Happy with the results she said she was down around 130. Her comment was that the number was almost too good and to just keep a watch on her for anything hypo in nature.
    FOOD: Currently trying to wean her off dry, was free feeding the Nulo Medal Series Grain Free – Trout & Duck Recipe but now only give a small amout of dry in AM and PM
    Also feeding canned wet variety of Weruva, Tiki Cat, and Natures Instinct
    I work full time so she is fed at 615am and then given her insulin and then again 12 hours later at 6:15pm and given insulin after she eats
    - I am currently NOT home testing. My vet insists that I purchase the pet meter however I have been trying to learn on various groups and see that using a human meter is acceptable. Vet does not want me home testing yet until we go back in about 3 weeks which will put us around week of May 15th for final curve test and fructosamine test. They will train me at that time on how to test at home. I plan to purchase the Relion Micro human meter and matching strips and will also purchase the Tumero 25 guage needles.
    - The only complications observed prior to diagnosis were excessive drinking which I totally missed, just thought she liked to drink water, lots of pee’s in litter box, greasy coat and dandruff ( though the greasy coat and dandruff have been since I adopted her and her initial blood work came back completely normal so she was not diabetic at the time )
    - Vet said nothing about ketosis or any other issues noted
    Aurora is currently not taking any other supplments or medications
    I have noted that Aurora will lick and pull at her fur and rip pieces out. That seemed to stop for a short time when we started the insulin however I have noticed now that she is doing this again after increasing to the 3 units of lantus 2x per day.
    Afew side observations about Aurora include that she seems hungry for food when I get home from work however I have to make her wait until 615pm for dinner, sometimes she just sniffs, takes a bite or two and walks away. She will eat her nulo dry kibble and sometimes I have to give that to her to get her to eat so I can give her insulin. She’s a kibble junkie – she could eat kibble all day long if I let her.
    Vet really keeps pushing the RX diebetic food but I’m not a fan after researching this option plus Aurora is a fussy Tortie and I find myself trying all sorts of wet food options to keep her interested in eating – no way will she stick with a diabetic food. Vet also keeps pushing me to get her to drop about 2 lbs of weight – she insists that the wet foods might be too high in fat content but I don’t know what to do, I need her to eat and she’s already fussy so I’m doing the best I can. I did have her on the Rad Cat raw for awhile however I have the 2nd kitty Mulan who has severe allergies and is on Atopica which is an immune suppressant and the raw food according to te dermo puts her at risk for toxoplasma. I feed both side by side and it’s too hard to separate them and prevent Mulan from eating the raw so I had to go back to canned food for both.
    Stupid question – I can download the tracker spreadsheet but I don’t necessarily have to do the download to have it attached to my profile right? I’ll have to figure out how to do that later…but I’m currently not home testing but do want to get my ducks in a row so I’m ready to go when we start at home.
    What is the best human meter/strips/lancet or needle to use? I read that needles are better for home testing? Which guage?
    Thanks Everyone!
    I’m happy to be part of the group and excited to learn!
    ~ Nicole from Chicago

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome
    2 units is a high starting dose and going to 3 units, especially based on a curve done at the vet, is high so soon.
    Vet stress can raise BG by 100 or more points and result in overdosing and going too low *hypo). This can be made worse by changing from dry to canned like you are doing.
    Most of use here use a human meter like Walmart's Confirm or confirm Micro. The strips are very very reasonable compared to strips for pet meters.
    If you have specific questions please ask n the Health forum.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

Yong & Maury GA and tiffmaxee like this.
  3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Hi Nicole. I'm so glad you joined! Once you start testing please start posting on the lantus/lev forum.

No stupid questions here! To get the spreadsheet you just need to have a google account and make it public. If you have any trouble setting it up there are people here to help. Right now one is out of town I think. I'll tag another for you. @Chris & China , please look out for Nicole who might need ss help. Thanks.

Elise

4. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

First, WELCOME!

For testing ear pokies, you want 'lancets', not needles. 28 gauge are better to start with than 31s. Gauge goes backwards - 28 is larger.

Meter - many use Walmart's 'ReliOn' brand, model either the Micro or Confirm - same strips just different shape of the meter. I prefer the Micro because my hands are narrow, it just fits better. There IS a 'Prime' model with cheaper strips but that's for later when her ears bleed well for tests.

We look forward to seeing more posts!

5. tiffmaxee

Actually size 25 g terumo needles work really well. They are very sharp. I used them fir three years. My. Eat preferred using needles snd I agree!

6. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh Elise, me and my needlephobia would be a puddle on the floor... :) ^^^ Nicole, there's the gauge it you use needles instead of lancets. I heartily salute anyone that does it that way too!

7. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Nicole and Aurora!
    Glad that you are open to home testing! It's the best tool in our FD kitty tool belt. There's a big Lantus community here that can help you and Aurora :cat:. These are the Spreadsheet instructions: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/ I can also help you set it up :).

Also, this is good to have right off the back: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-treat-hypos-they-can-kill-print-this-out.15887/

Ask any questions! The only stupid question is the one not asked ;)

8. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

I am new here just a couple of months but welcome!! I am concerned the vet Doesn't want you to test but wants you to give the shot? I know more seasoned members will comment on your vet practices as they have taught me so much in so little time. :) you are in the best place to deal with this. Ask away. :) pretty furbaby

9. Nicole Z

Nicole Z Well-Known Member

Thank you so very much for the warm welcome everyone! Yes, I am also concerned that the vet doesn't have me home testing yet, concerned that she is pushing only using the animal meter, concerned that she is pushing the RX diabetic food. BUT - I know better which is why I am here!!! I need to watch some you tubes and make sure I am feeling good about trying to get the blood from the sweet spot. I will purchase the meter and some lancets to try until I can get the tumero needles ordered. I truly believe knowledge is power and I'm going into this with the best resources here with all of you! THANK YOU so much for helping me!!!!
    I feel bad because I really like the vet clinic - I have a long history with them with a previous kitty that made it to 23 years old but this is a new vet to the clinic. She's very direct and I think she finds me annoying because I keep coming back with information and I just get the feeling she thinks I'm a pain. I know - I shouldn't let her make me feel this way and I'm sure she will be taken back when she finds out I have gone ahead without her approval and start home testing. Not like I need her approval but I am sure it will be uncomfortable when I mention it. Maybe I shouldn't even say anything and play dumb and let them "teach me the ways" so I don't rock the boat. I whole heartedly disagree with her on the RX food and refuse to buy that so that is a done deal - no go for me. I'm comfortable with the foods I have them on.
    What does the group do with their used needles / lancets? Can you just put them in an orange juice container bottle and toss in the trash or are you required to take them somewhere special for disposal? I have 2 large zip lock baggies full of used syringes right now but I think I just need to make sure they're in a heavy plastic container and then they can be thrown in the trash. Please let me know if I'm mistaken.
    Again, THANK YOU!!! I am very humbled by all of your knowledge and excited to learn more!

10. tiffmaxee

Each state has different rules on disposal of needles. Many vet offices will take them but might charge.

11. Yong & Maury GA

We think a lot of Vet's don't push home testing because we guardian's tend to be a bit overwhelmed at diagnosis. There are others, mentioned here, that Vets have tried to promote home testing but once owner's get home they don't do it. I don't know how they can shoot blindly. I was going crazy not knowing Maury's numbers the first month, watching him like a hawk. An injury prevented me from being able to start sooner. One of our phrases here is, we wouldn't give insulin to a human child without testing BG first, so why would we not check our fur babies?

I think they push the pet meter because many don't know how to interpret with human glucometer, although I think they should want to know both methods ;). Same with the prescription foods, and I think they get some commission from selling it.

I've had 2 Vets that got frustrated with me because I read up on the disease and treatment too, so Maury does not have a Vet for his FD lol.

Some states actually let you get Sharps containers from local pharmacies, just ask if they have the program. My lancets, I just re-cap and throw in the trash. I just bought this little device for syringes: https://www.adwdiabetes.com/product/1246/bd-safe-clip-needle-storage-device
    Once the needle is off, I throw the needle-less syringe in the trash.

Add-on: My local pharmacies do not offer that program but they did tell me I could check with hospital. Sometime they have a monthly drop off of syringes and other medical supplies. :)

12. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Hi Nicole!
    A warm welcome from the Chicago area (burbs)
    It looks like you have lots of input already so I will just say "WELCOME" .... this forum has more knowledge than many vets including mine who I love but he told me from the start he is not a expert in FD.
    Lucky for us many people in the forum are:)
    I do want to add that I started out using alpha track and I had high hopes that my Dre would go into remission but he is now a long term diabetic and our goals have changed to keeping him in normal numbers as long as possible and we switched to the relion micro. I do sometimes use the alpha track as well if he is running low just because I am paranoid like that:oops:
    Also for us home testing has probably saved Dre's life.... 1 drop can make the difference for him so testing has become a part of our daily life.
    :bighug:

13. Yong & Maury GA

Me too!

Phoebes (GA) and jayla-n-Drevon like this.
  14. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Me three :) excellent start Nicole!! Sometimes I also think they think, beans are not going to stay with it or understand what they are doing. Thus doing it blind. But they do not understand the knowledge or dedication we have here for our furbabies. I have one of those vets. Love her, had here for over 12 years. But, she doesn't believe in over 4 or 5 units and phoebes is at 9.5 come morning. She will poop a stone when she learns. But we tried her way and wasted a month going backwards. You know your furbaby. You are dealing with him every day. If she wants to come along with me great, if not I will find another. :bighug::bighug:

15. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

:D:D:D:D!!!

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.