new to lantus insulin, have questions

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jodi & Jasmine, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jodi & Jasmine

Jodi & Jasmine Member

Hi! I am starting my cat on lantus starting asap. She has been on caninsulin for almost 6 months. She was just recently taken off insulin for about 4 weeks and is just getting over treatment for ketones. I have also changed her diet to diabetc formula. She has been back on caninsulin for almost a week at 2 units twice a day.

My questions ..... is lantus a twice a day insulin or once only for cats? What should I be starting with for dosages 1 or 2 units? I am using a u-100 syringe and her blood is about 13 mmol at current on 2 units of caninsulin twice a day. Once the vial is open, is it still good past 28 days? I have been advised by the Pharmacist that after 28 days I need to get a new vial. Seems like a watse of insulin. With lantus, should I be rolling the vial prior to use to mix it up as I did with caninsulin? Does lantus have to be refrigerated or is it good at room temperature?

If anyone has experience with lantus please advise me. Thank you in advance.

2. Athena and Cyrano

Athena and Cyrano New Member

This is is a great place to start: New to the Lantus Group

Just read (click through to related links) that thread (and the others at the top of this page) and gather as much information as possible.

3. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Star's first thread from Health Feb 26 with some history
    viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7549&p=77449#p77449

Hi there

Welcome to the lantus forum!

Is your name Star? What is your cat's name?

You're first stop is reading all the stickies up above (with the star icon)

like this one: Proper storage and handling of Lantus --- do not roll or shake Lantus by the way
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=151

you're going to need a spreadsheet so that you can record your date (spotchecks) see the New to the Group stickie up above, it contains a link on how to create a spreadsheet

Lantus is a BID insulin, twice a day, 12/12 schedule
    I have seen you post in health, have you had a chance to convert your recent BG readings to U.S format? Simply multiply your Canadian number x 18
    Many here are from the U.S and U.S numbers are much easier to read and interpret.

A Lantus vial has a manufacturer's suggested expiry date, once opned - of 28 days - that does not mean you dump it at 28 days.
    Many here have used a vial up to 40 days, so no - you dont need to dump it at 28 days. Yes it should be stored in the fridge, never frozen thou.

What size vial did you get? If you got a 10ml vial, you may lose most of it, most people here buy the 5-pack/3ml cartridge.
    Where are you located? State, city, province is fine.

what brand exactly are you using for syringes?
    Did you get 3/10cc's syringes with 1/2 unit markings? If not, you'll need these kind.

I'm a little confused, is your cat on insulin now? Caninsulin? Did she get any today? Do you have any readings today?
    Have you been testing for ketones?

Are you around tonight to help answer some questions others will have?

4. Jodi & Jasmine

Jodi & Jasmine Member

Hi there Ronnie, my cat is Jasmine and she is 11 y/o. I am Jodi. Thanks for the info. The vial I bought is 10 ml, that is all that have around here. I am in Nova Scotia. The syringes I use are u-100 1/2 cc. She is on insulin at current ..... 2 units with u-100 syringe twice a day. Her readings were 13. 9 mmol (250.20) this morning and this evening 16.1 (289.80) Jasmine had been treated for ketones and I test daily and today she is at the negative mark. I will continue to monitor ketones.

5. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi Jodi and Jasmine the kitty

in Nova Scotia, is there a Walmart or Costco? They sometimes carry the 5 pack/3ml cartridges, which in the long run is a bit more economical. Basicaly a 5 month supply of lantus. The 10ml vial is usually for humans, as they use more insulin than kitties.
    As for the syringes, 1/2cc's? Im not sure about those......example of one's we use here: BD brand 3/10cc's, with 1/2 unit markings
    Hoping others can clarify that for you

Did you already get the 10ml vial of lantus?
    If so, you'll be ok with that, once you pass 28 days, opened, you'll want to keep an eye out for "floaties" although you'll need a magnifyer usually to spot that, and/or a spike in BG numbers sometimes is an indicator that the vial is pooped. Or if you left it out overnite, or dropped the vial, you'll make notes on this in your spreadsheet when u get it going.

Read the stickie on Proper Handling & Storage of Lantus for more info.
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=151

So today, Jasmine has had caninsulin 2u, you want to start lantus tomorrow and are looking for a good starting dose right?
    What is your shot schedule? 5am/5pm, or 6am/6pm, etc
    and are you around this weekend to spotcheck thru the cycles?
    Is Jasmine eating Purina dry? I think thats what I saw in your health thread a while back. Can u confirm her diet?
    EDIT TO ADD: I just looked back again, she's eating wet food right?

6. Jodi & Jasmine

Jodi & Jasmine Member

Hey Ronnie/Luna, There is a Walmart and Costco around. I can check Walmart tomorrow and Costco is out of town but I will check when I am in. The syringes I am using do not have the 1/2 unit markings but I am thinking they would be better to use especially using a new insulin where I would only want to make 1/2 unit increases at a time. I need to check in to that. I did buy a 10 ml vial of lantus today and was thinking of starting her on it this weekend where I can keep an eye on her. She did have caninsulin today. We are on a 5am/5pm schedule and she is eating 4 times a day ..... 5 am and 5 pm with insulin and then daily between 9 and 11 am and between 9 and 11 pm approximately. I have switched her to Purina DM canned food. I have been mixing it with a bit of water the last few days. She loves it.

7. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

hello and welcome to the group jodi and jasmine!
    you mentioned using U-100 1/2cc syringes. is this what the scale marked on the syringe looks like?

[​IMG]

with lantus, we typically make dose adjustments in increments of 0.25u or 0.5 unit.

U100 3/10cc syringes with half unit markings are the best to use for fine dosing. BD, Monoject, GNP, and ReliOn are some of the brands available with half unit markings. as you can see below (scale on left), the scale on a U-100 3/10cc syringe marked with half units is easier to read when you make dose adjustments in increments of 0.25u or 0.5 unit... which will make it much easier for you to draw doses accurately.

[​IMG]

as everyone has suggested, please read the stickies (starred topics) at the top of the forum.
    hope to see you posting often! :D

8. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Member KarenRamboConan live in Nova Scotia, too. Here is her profile: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=158 You can send her a private message and ask about local stores that sell diabetic supplies and what brands of foods you can feed instead of the prescription stuff.

9. Jodi & Jasmine

Jodi & Jasmine Member

Hi Jill and Alex, yes those are the syringes that I have. I definitely need the 1/2 unit marking ones. I will look in to that tomorow. Thanks. And thanks Squeem it is good to know that there is somebody else around in my neck of the woods :)

10. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I just wanted to stop by and say "welcome."

Please post often - we'd like to get to know Jasmine. And, visit our condos (that's what we call our threads) and look at our spreadsheets. And, keep asking questions!

11. Jodi & Jasmine

Jodi & Jasmine Member

Hi Sienne & Gabby, nice to meet you as well. Nice to meet all of you. I was out this morning and found the correct syringes BD 3/10cc with 1/2 unit markings. I am sure I should have had these a long time ago. Do any of you have any tricks as to how to draw up your insulin to minimize the amount of bubbles? I always seem to still get a bubble or 2 no matter what.

12. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

This post is from the "old" FDMB site so it may take a while to load. It is one post from a discussion on air bubbles

13. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome!

You've found yourself a great place here. I know when I was knew, I had to pinch myslef a few times to stay convinced that I wasn't making this place up in a dream!

About the Lantus, we purchased a vial (bottle) of Lantus in October 2009. We got a small piece of that sheet foam and wrapped most of the bottle in it, leaving a little viewing area the length of the bottle. That keeps is a bit colder when you take it from the fridge, and you can examine it for clarity. We were still using that vial when Basil had his last shots two weeks ago! (He is now in remission and off insulin thanks to the help I got here.) So, I don't think the 28 days thing is a worry and I am not alone in that. Just keep your eye on the bottle and the numbers!

14. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome Jodi and Jasmine! This board is a wonderful place. The people have so much knowledge and are so kind. Stu and I are pretty new here and have been guided every step of the way. You will learn lots and Jasmine will benefit greatly. I believe that in Canada you can order Lantus online. Here is the URL: http://www.canadadrugsonline.com/HowToOrder.aspx
    Order Lantus in the box of 5 cartridges or pens. Both can be used with U100 syringes. Although a box of 5 will initially cost more than the vial, there won't be as much waste because they don't hold as much insulin as the vial. (Lantus is supposed to be discarded after about 28 days, according to the manufacturer. Many people continue beyond this time period, however).
    Again, Welcome. Ask as many questions as you need to. Someone will be along to guide you.
    Ella & Stu

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.