New to prozinc first week of giving insulin any advice (UK)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Becki and sox, Nov 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Hi guys.

So sox was put on his first lot of insulin Saturday 10th November.
    The vet gave him 1.5u insulin and said we didn't need to home test before shots were given.
    Sox reacted really quickly to the insulin and was still quiet a low number when the night shot was due.
    No night shot was given after some good help through the day from other members on here.
    They also advised to drop his dose the next day as he BG was still lower and because I was going to be at work and couldn't monitor.
    We have put his dose up to 1u yesterday as he seemed to have settled on the 0.75u.
    One thing I have noticed is that his morning readings seem to be going higher now than they were pre insulin?
    Sox gets BG check and half his breakfast at 7am then the other half at 7.30am with his insulin shot.
    A mid day snack at around 12.30 - 2.30.
    7am and 7.30 am again with BG check and shot.
    And then a pre bed snack between 9.30 and 10.30.
    My spreadsheet is attached if and one can give me any advice on this?
    Will these high numbers settle as the box get more used to the lower numbers?
    Thank you

2. Bear & Lora

Bear & Lora Well-Known Member

Hi Becki,
    I suggest you copy and paste this to the Prozinc Forum. My cat Bear is also on Prozinc and I have gotten some great advice and help on that forum. I would use Help in your title. Insulins work differently and there are members that watch the prozinc forum that will have the experience and knowledge of prozinc.

3. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

@Bear & Lora thank you. I think I some how managed to post it in both this forum and the prozinc one :confused: lol.
    How are you finding prozinc at the moment did it take time for your car to settle in to it.

4. Bear & Lora

Well Bear doesn't seem to be a cat who settles in easily, lol. To his credit he had some hard knocks which he is overcoming.

When I ignorantly changed his Diet to Hills Science Diet, he went from a 20.6 lb cat to 15.6lb cat in about a month and a half, he was drinking water like crazy and urinating massive amounts. I am positive after much research that Bear was diabetic before his diet change but the high carb Hills sent him careening into full blown uncontrolled diabetes.

I had tried a few different cat foods that claimed weight control so I thought finally a cat food that is helping him lose some unwanted pounds. I wasn't weighing Bear regularly and once I saw a 2lb difference in a matter of two weeks I immediately took him to the vet. Hello Diabetes!

The Vet started him on 2units, then after a curve test up to 3 units. I continued his 3 units 2x a day without home monitoring for a little over a month. Bad Move!

By the time I had stumbled onto www.cat.info Dr Pierson's article there is no telling how many Ketones his liver was dealing with because of high blood glucose numbers during the month I blindly just gave him insulin without home testing.

I transitioned him to wet and started trying to learn as much info as fast as I could on this forum. Shortly after transitioning him to wet I took a few forum member's advice and tested his Ketones and BAM, they were in the large range. Off to the Emergency Animal Hospital we went. Thank God he made it through Ketoacidosis!

Now I am still working on regulating Bear but he is a bouncy cat. That means he doesn't have flat blood glucose numbers (numbers that stay somewhat close to the same during his cycles). He starts high, drops to lower numbers about +4 or +5 then goes up to high again, just like a rubber bouncing ball. :(

I have to say if it wasn't for some dedicated, knowledgeable Forum members Bear wouldn't be here today. Bear has vastly improved, his dry skin has cleared up, he is less grumpy and is much more loving now that his health is better. Sorry I seem to have written you a many novel, lol.

I can see from Sox'es SS that he is doing well.

5. Bear & Lora

You know Sox and Bear seem to be running similar right now. I suggest you read ? Dosing going forward for Bear, toward the end, it could give you valuable info. ;)

6. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Oh dear poor bear he has had a rough ride.

Yes as soon as I found out about Sox been diabetic I took him straight off the dry food. After reading up about it and how bad it can be I've took all my cats off it.

My vet told me I wouldn't have to home test just give insulin I'm so glad I tested though as the first day on his 1.5u he was way to low to issue another 1 at night.

Bless him I know that bounce effect Sox seems to be in the same boat. High morning and night after a decent drop in the day.

All the best for bear and oh health just getting so much better from here on.
    I'm also glad I found this site as I have learned more from here from what I did at the vets.

7. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Yeah I believe they are doing the same thing at the moment.
    Will I find that in the prozinc forum?

8. Bear & Lora

I don't know if you had a chance to look but yes it is in the prozinc forum.

9. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Awesome advice from @Bear & Lora !

Hello Becki. You currently have 3 threads running simultaneously. In order to keep pertinent information together going forward, please post for help in the thread you started earlier today in the Prozinc forum: New to prozinc first week of giving insulin help/advice please (UK).

You'll also find members over there who have hands on experience with the same insulin you're using.

Welcome to the FDMB!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.