New to Site

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sammy1950, Mar 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sammy1950

Sammy1950 New Member

Greetings ....

My name is Sammy and I am new to this wonderful board. We have two main house kitties that both came down with problems at the same time. I would do anything for them that includes eating mac and cheese for me ... and what every they need.

Our vet who is wonderful put both on DM for our Pye and SO for MyTinny. Pye with diabetes liked it at first and now will not eat it. I have taken to getting chicken breast and beef for him and just simmering it in a little water. He loves it. I also did my home work and we are going to switch to Classic Fancy Feast for him. My question is, the beef and chicken I am giving him, is that a bad idea? He I might add is not full blown diabetic and is not on insulin yet.

As for MyTinny she has had two bouts of cystitis that cost a mint. She loves the SO dry but is packing on the pounds. No two piece swimsuit for her this summer. She also hates anything but dry. She even turns her nose up at human chicken and fancy feast. I was thinking about trying a new food called Muse. Does anyone know anything about this product?

Thank you for starting this site. I was feeling very alone with these problems. Sammy

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Sammy, welcome to you and your two babies! Giving a little plain meat as a snack is fine, just be aware that it doesn't have all the nutrients Pye needs, so be sure he eats his Fancy Feast! I have no knowledge of Muse food, so can't help you there. Check out this site http://catinfo.org There's a great section on transitioning your cat to wet food. Maybe you can get MyTinny to eat wet food, which would be the best choice for her cystitis. Please come to the Main Health Forum and ask any other questions you have.

3. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome!
    The more acceptable dry food options for diabetic kitties are: Young Again Zero / Zero Mature, Evo (Purple bag I think?), Wysong Epigen 90, and there are some that use Nature's Variety Instinct Ultimate Protein. The prescription foods are medium carb and Purina DM is 18%. You will find lots of help here though! This is a support group for fur babies and their humans :bighug:.

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

My guy was on Urinary SO canned food a long time before his diagnosis because of repeated bouts of cystitis. Since diagnosis, he's been on low carb wet food only (a mix of Friskies or Fancy Feast pates with prescription DM) to which I add enough warm water to make a stew. I do this every meal and he hasn't had a single episode of cystitis in over a year (since his diagnosis).

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I think kris gave great advice, and I'd add that I'd recommend a few pet fountains as well. I have a cat that had multiple uti issues and since adding a few fountains in various locations she hasn't had a problem.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.