New to the board

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cassidy Nush, Dec 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cassidy Nush

Cassidy Nush New Member

Hello! I have a 13 year old cat named Maggie who was just diagnosed in early October. I’m joined on a Facebook group page, and the question I have was recommended to ask on here. As time went by since October, the vet now has her on 3 units of Vetsulin twice daily. Her level is still up and down good and bad, but I’m slowly beginning to notice more good.

Question...I know that a cats sugar level is supposed to be between 80-120, but I’m just curious on how important it is to still give the insulin after testing and the number isn’t that much higher than 120.

For example, if my cats sugar is 134, should I still give her the insulin or skip out this time?

thank you in advance! :)

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome.

It is recommended that no shot be given if under 200 for a recently diagnosed cat. As you gather more data (we would need a spreadsheet to see the data), the no shoot number slowly goes down.

Here is the Guide for Vetsulin.

This is just a hello and welcome thread. If you can repost in the Feline Health Forum, experienced Vetsulin people will see your post.
    Tagging @MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  3. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

4. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to FDMB.

I agree with Kel. Without some data to look at it's impossible to provide you any dosing suggestions however as a general rule, until you gather some data, 200 on a human meter or up to 250 on a pet meter would be the recommended No shot readings. The only caveat to this would be a history of DKA in which case skipping shots is not necessarily the best option and a reduced dose might be a better option.

Come join us over on Health with any and all questions and we'll help you help Maggie get on the path to better health.

Red & Rover (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.