New to the forums, Bad vet experience

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by camocustom, May 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. camocustom

camocustom Member

I am posting here as a new member. My now 12 year old daddy's girl Camii, was diagnosed with diabetes last year. Shes been doing great on 4 units of insulin twice a day until a few weeks ago.

Went by the vet today, with prior knowledge of this helpful forum, asking about checking her blood sugar at home, vet recommended against it and wouldn't even talk to me about her levels. So I stopped and purchased the ReliOn home glucose meter after reading a few posts on here before registering. I am going to find that spreadsheet I saw (wasn't able to access without registering earlier) And begin my home testing to get her under control again.

Also she has a skin allergy currently and we are treating with antihistamines for that.

Well, thats that. Looking forward to the wealth of information available here! Camii1.jpg

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

3. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

So glad you took initiative to start home testing :).
    I'm just going to post a couple more links to get you setup to start posting! Signature information is super helpful and helps those of us with bad memories ;): http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/

And even though you are not new to FD, you are to the forum. I like to give this and hope you never need it:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-treat-hypos-they-can-kill-print-this-out.15887/

Feel free to ask any questions on the Main Health Forum!

4. camocustom

camocustom Member

Thank you I found it before you posted it :) I will have to learn what the +1 etc. is on there. I didnt find any sort of instructions for that.

Thanks I did stumble across these and have updated my signature probably while you were posting this. I guess I ought to add the insulin she is on too.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  5. Sharon14

AlphaCat likes this.
  6. Yong & Maury GA

7. Yong & Maury GA

lol. Oops, sorry Sharon :p

AlphaCat likes this.
  8. Sharon14

GMTA!

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  9. camocustom

camocustom Member

Thank you and thank you, saved!

I guess, since its my first time testing at home, when should I start testing to get a good base to begin my data?

10. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome and just dropping a note to say Hi and what a pretty kitty!

11. camocustom

camocustom Member

Thank you! she is daddy's girl!

Im still HOT from the vet visit though. How they described to me that testing at home would hurt our relationship. I heard that and firmly stated that my cat has been by my side for 13 years, i already stick her with a needle twice a day and she still runs to me, I doubt very much it will hurt our relationship.

JanetNJ and AlphaCat like this.
  12. Sharon14

Have you seen this
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/
    Check it out and go ahead and give it a try. It sometimes takes a few try's to get it right. Then you'll want to always test before you feed and give any insulin, and get a test or two during the cycle. I don't know Novalin, but I think it starts working fast and sometimes doesn't last a full 12 hours, so get some tests early in the cycle. Maybe run a curve-testing every two hours- if possible.

camocustom likes this.
  13. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Not sure how to respond to that one. Find a new vet or just state how it will be with YOUR cat. Just ask them - You would never inject a baby with out testing why would you do that to a cat?

My vet did the demo and sent me home with a loaner testing kit. Told me to go to the pharmacy and pick up my own and return theirs within a week. She was a little vague on the testing regime I should do though. Indicated they could do the curve if I wanted. And that was it. Home testing was never the issue - changing doses without her was! In the end, she loved the results I achieved with the help of the FDMB. So all was good. In fact just had a IM vet visit this week with Jones - he asked questions on what I was doing and basically said he wasn't going to touch what I was doing in regards to the FD - keep doing it! He was just going to help me with the IBD side of things.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  14. Yong & Maury GA

If anything quite a few members say the sugar dance with their kitty brings them closer, strengthens their relationship, with all the extra attentions, scritches, and LC (low carb) treats :smuggrin:

camocustom, AlphaCat and Sharon14 like this.
  15. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

I imagine a years experience with diabetes we'll give you the confidence to know home testing won't ruin the relationship! Good for you for knowing! I was completely new to this whole thing a week and a half ago. Somewhere in a tutorial on testing (maybe even the videos they had linked here) it said give a treat for testing. I got these fancy feast one ingredient salmon treats that are individually wrapped. I keep a couple packets in the testing kit. Within 48 hours of testing Fabby now runs to me when I pick up her testing kit. I sit get in my lap the way I need her and while I'm prepping the meter she just lays right down.
    Your vet is doing something terribly wrong if testing would ruin the relationship. I can't even imagine how's they're doing the test for you that they would think that (when they test in office).
    And Fabby doesn't even need the treat for the test, she's happy with a bit of love and to get her food afterward.
    I'm so glad you didn't listen and found these wonderful, and knowledgeable people here!
    Welcome!

camocustom likes this.
  16. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to you daddy bean and your furbaby. Beautiful by the way. Good for you. Welcome to the best forum on the web. Any questions just ask. If we don't know the answers somebody will know where to point you in the right direction. Phhfffbt that vet. :bighug:Head bumps

camocustom and AlphaCat like this.
  17. camocustom

camocustom Member

Thank you all for the well wishes.

I have updated my spreadsheet with my first few home tests. Im going to test again this morning in 2 hours and then maybe 4 and 6 after her shot this morning. Please take a look if you have time and confirm I am using the spreadsheet correctly :)

18. Sharon14

SS looks good! That was a big drop last night @+2. when you get a large drop in numbers, it's good to grab another test or two to make sure she doesn't go too low, since we don't yet know when Camii's nadir is. Looking forward to seeing how she does today. Why don't you come to the Health Forum and start a thread, there's more eyes there to help you track her numbers.

camocustom likes this.
  19. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Please test again... That is going too low for this early in the cycle. I STRONGLY recommend you reduce the dose to no more than 2 units

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.