New to the group and new to owning a diabetic cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Amy Beth, Sep 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amy Beth

Amy Beth New Member

Hi, my 12 (we think) year old cat, Pancho, was just diagnosed with diabetes on Friday, and is spending the weekend at the vet because of diabetic ketoacidosis. I have a lot experience with administering insulin to both a cat and a dog, but I have never personally owned a diabetic animal. The main thing I'm worried about is what to feed him now. I would prefer to buy commercial foods that's not super expensive, because as a SAHM with 2 small children and a husband who works 12+ hr day, I just don't have the time or energy to actually make his food. This has been a hard year for me with my pets. I started it off with a puppy who suffered from mega esophagus and had to be PTS at only 18 months old, after she started to develop other neurological issues. My emotional state is still a bit fried from that gut wrenching situation, and my bank account is still recovering as well.

Any tips for helping to making managing Pancho's condition easier to manage would be greatly appreciated. 20170917_103330.jpg

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

So sorry about the loss of your dog. :(

There are lots of suitable store available foods. Most of us feed fancy feast classic or Friskies pate. If you have any other specific questions, please write on the main health forum where more eyes will see it.

Welcome.

Here's a food list.... Choose foods under 10 % carb. http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

3. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Amy and Poncho! What a cute mustache he has :cat:. Feel free to post any questions on the Main Health forum so more eyes can see them and chime in :)

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.