New to this forum but not to feline diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Amy M, May 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amy M

Amy M New Member

Hi there!

I'm new to this site but not to feline diabetes. My 15+-year-old cat was diagnosed with diabetes about a year and a half ago. We got her stabilized and then about 4 months ago she had a hypoglycemic episode and threw up and meowed and I gave her karo syrup and took her to the vet. She hasn't gotten to a regulated state since. I'm worried that she's headed in a poor direction again.

Here's what's happening:
    • Her morning blood sugar was 74 today and 59 yesterday.
    • I did a glucose curve today and her glucose bounced up after the low reading. Aside from the blip, it went up to a high of 490, with a nadir about 8 hours in at 105.
    • Aside from today, I've been testing her pre-shot levels only. My sense is was that they were pretty much between 200 and 300 but I averaged them all to be sure and the average is 275 over the last 7 weeks. So her averages seem to be in a fairly good place but she's had this low blood sugar for two mornings in a row.

Thoughts? I gave her karo syrup yesterday and it went up immediately. Today no syrup because it went up on its own.

Thank you,
    Amy

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome Amy! You will get more eyes on your question if you post it in the Main Health Forum. Include what you’re feeding, what kind of insulin and how much. We can help you figure out what’s going on with your kitty.

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  3. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Great you are familiar with diabetes already. Lots of support here and knowledgable members to help with regulation.:)

One thing that would help is if you can set up a signature with particulars like her weight, diagnosis date, type of food, other health conditions, type of insulin, etc. this will help other members to answer your questions and not have to repeatedly ask about the basics of your cat.

Setting up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished.

Once signature is set up it will be easier to assist with advice.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.