New to this..giving Prozinc

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Randy Santoro, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Randy Santoro

Randy Santoro New Member

My boy (Piggy) was diagnosed as diabetic late November and was put on 1 unit of Prozinc twice a day. On Dec. 18th, after a failed curve test at the vets he was upped to 2 units twice a day. I got an Aplha Trac 2 meter and did my own curve test on New Years day. His numbers started at 500 before eating, and dropped to mid to lower 400's throughout the testing. The lowest number was 393. Right before eating time again it was up to 437. I gave my vet the results and she said to increase his dose to 3 units twice a day. His reading that night before the increase was 450, and the next morning before eating was 307. I gave him the 3 units and went to work. That evening (last night) his number came in at 113! I did not give him a shot, but fed him and he ate well. I did a retest 2 hours later and got 436. I gave him a shot, but only 2.5 units with a fancy feast flaked salmon treat. This morning his number was 477, so after eating I gave him another 2.5 units.
    He eats fancy feast pate, since he rejected the friskies pate. I have noticed him stealing some of the OM dry I have for the other cats. I have to get this for I have two cats that completely rejected the pate. I am curious about that 113 reading, and such a change to 436 only two hours later. Did I do something wrong when taking the reading? I did get a drop of blood from his ear, and the meter beeped and showed it working. Also am I right by doing the .5 increase to 2.5 instead of the 3 like the vet said to do? I am going to try copying this to put on the message board, but wanted to put it here in case that fails. I appreciate any and all advice.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I'm in a bit of a rush so I'll give you the new member's guide I put together a while ago. It's a capsule version of what we do here and what to watch out for. I also suggest you read this user guide for ProZinc: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...prozinc-pzi-insulin-for-diabetic-cats.164995/

It would help us if you set up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    • click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    • click on "signature" in the men that drops down
    • type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using /glucose meter you're using/what he eats/any other meds or health issues he has.
    Another thing that will help us help you now that you've started BG testing at home is to set up a spreadsheet like the one we use here. We can all see it and look at it before offering advice: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

.............................................................................................................................................................................................................

Here's the basic testing routine we recommend:

1. test every day AM and PM before feeding and injecting (no food at least 2 hours before) to see if the planned dose is safe
    2. test at least once near mid cycle or at bedtime daily to see how low the BG goes
    3. do extra tests on days off to fill in the response picture
    4. if indicated by consistently high numbers on your spreadsheet, increase the dose by no more than 0.25 u at a time so you don't accidentally go right past a good dose
    5. post here for advice whenever you're confused or unsure of what to do.
    This is useful: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

.............................................................................................................................................................................................................

Here's an explanation of what we call "bouncing". It explains why a kitty's BG can go from low to sky high:

1. BG goes low OR lower than usual OR drops too quickly.
    2. Kitty's body panics and thinks there's danger (OMG! My BG is too low!).
    3. Complex physiologic processes take glycogen stored in the liver (I think of it as "bounce fuel"), convert it to glucose and dump it into the bloodstream to counteract the perceived dangerously low BG.
    4. These processes go into overdrive in kitties who are bounce prone and keep the BG propped up varying lengths of time (AKA bouncing).
    5. Bounce prone kitty repeats this until his body learns that healthy low numbers are safe. Some kitties are slow learners.
    6. Too high a dose of insulin can keep them bouncing over and over until the " bounce fuel" runs out and they crash - ie., have a hypo episode. That's why we worry so much about kitties that have had too high a starting dose prescribed by the vet and the owner isn't home testing.

Here are some tips on how to do urine ketone testing (VERY important if BG is high and kitty isn't eating well!):

• put the end of the test strip right in his urine stream as he's peeing
    • slip a shallow, long handled spoon under his backside to catch a little pee - you don't need much
    • put a double layer of plastic wrap over his favourite part of the litter box and poke some depressions in it too catch pee.
    Most test strips have to be dipped and allowed to develop for 15 seconds before viewing the colour change in very good light.

Randy Santoro likes this.
  3. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

It's possible that the 113 --> 436 difference wasn't quite so big due to normal meter variance -- i.e., the 113 was maybe a slightly low reading, and the 436 a slightly high one -- but I would think this was a "bounce," like Kris explains the above. 113 is actually a good, safe number, but Piggy probably hasn't had such a number in a while, and his little body overreacted.

Do please try to get a spreadsheet set up. It's super-helpful to be able to visualize what's going on with your kitty's glucose levels, and so people will be able to help you better.

FWIW, I don't thing you were wrong *at all* to increase by only half a unit, especially given his reaction to the 3.0 that time. Although Piggy's numbers are high, smaller increases will help make sure that you don't accidentally go past the right dose, and people usually make 0.25u changes at a time.

Randy Santoro likes this.