Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rusty n Willow's mom

Rusty n Willow's mom New Member

Not sure if I'm doing this right but I am fairly new to this site. I have been reading lots of posts on this site and have questions on how I'm handling Willow's insulin. When she was diagnosed in December she was eating mostly dry food which I free fed to her and her brother, Rusty. They would get wet food at the supper hour. Well her initial glucose readings were in 500's, she was drinking tons and tons of water. What sent us to the vet was she started peeing outside the box and pooping on the rug. Then she started hiding. Just not her. When I took her to the first vet appointment I was told she had a UTI and high urine glucose. Was told to start here on 3U of Lantus twice a day and nothing about testing her. Well, I started searching for answers and switched vets. The vet I have now introduced me to the monitor, showed me how to test her and had me email her all of her results. I right away switched her from dry food to wet food which wasn't a problem for either of my cats. Well one week after I started giving her insulin, her levels dropped to the 170's with the highest level on a glucose curve of 347. She was changed to 1U twice day. On 1/15 her curve was 71,56,59, 170 and I didn't give any insulin. Question. When do you NOT give insulin. Are normal values 79-120? Sorry this is so long. HELP

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Under 68 is hypo on an Alphatrak. Normal is 68-150 on an Alphatrak. 3 units is way too high of a starting dose so I'm glad you lowered. You need to lower that dose starting with the next shot since she was hypo.

I recommend you write on the lantus forum so they can give your specific dosing advice.

3. Rusty n Willow's mom

Rusty n Willow's mom New Member

Thank you Janet. I am having difficulty maneuvering around this site. I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.