New Vial - Low Numbers- Need Advice About Morning Dose

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by G & I, Feb 26, 2018.

  1. G & I

    G & I Member

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2017
    Have been unable to update ss as I am at Vet with Dude having seizures again. Had to bring Goma with me. Had readings of 36, 38, 52, 110, 71, 75, 91, and 95. 95 was at +11.5 and after an hourlong drive. Have some food with me not much and she understandably is not going to eat. I suspect new vial not weak like old one. Have insulin and needles with me. Any advice greatly appreciated and needed.
     
  2. Djamila

    Djamila Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2015
    How many hours until you can get home? I’m inclined to say skip for now and wait until she rises. You’ll be off schedule, but with those numbers it is too risky to shoot without food and assurance she will be willing to eat.
     
    G & I likes this.
  3. Djamila

    Djamila Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2015
    And also, I’m so so sorry to hear about Dude! Sending healing vines across the ocean to you!
     
  4. G & I

    G & I Member

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2017
    About an hour and a half. Leaving now will read posts but can’t respond.
     
  5. Djamila

    Djamila Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2015
    I wouldn’t worry about being off schedule right now. It doesn’t look like Goma is ready for a shot right now anyway. And yes, definitely looks like this new vial is packing a bigger punch. Looks like she’s going to need a significant reduction!
     
    G & I likes this.
  6. Kris & Teasel

    Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2016
    I agree with Djamila that giving insulin in this situation is risky. The simplest thing to do is skip this dose and regroup next dose. I hope the vet can help Dude.
     
    G & I likes this.
  7. G & I

    G & I Member

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2017
    Will be asking about this evenings dose as to be honest I do not have a clue at this point and a lot of moving parts going on right now - I have updated the spreadsheet best as I can as not sure where to put all the numbers. Still at 102 +14 hours after last nights dose. I did get her home, she had urinated in the carrier and I apologized to her for that. She walked in went to her litter box made a healthy stool deposit and then ate some chicken breast meat and some mon petite. She is sleeping at the moment and I'd just as soon let her be for awhile as she probably feels like a pin cushion. All that travelling and the level still did not shoot up. Preparing for the bounce from ....I feel so terrible for her.

    Won't hear anything about Dude for another couple of hours - I hope they can resolve this for him. We all need a break - Goma, Dude, me...
     
  8. Djamila

    Djamila Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2015
    She'll likely start to rise soon, as Prozinc rarely holds on past +14. However, it does sound like you all need a break. Perhaps just let it go for this cycle and start again at the next shot time. That way no need to test further for this cycle and you can both take a break for the next ten hours. It's up to you of course, but maybe a little rest is the most important thing right now?
     
    G & I likes this.
  9. G & I

    G & I Member

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2017
    Okay - the last test was about an hour ago with a 102 recorded. Did not shoot at all. She is now pm +15. Letting her sleep since it has been a rough day for her.
     
  10. G & I

    G & I Member

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2017
    I could actually bring things completely back on track if I don't shoot. Things have been falling further and further behind. Instead of shooting in 9 hours, I could shoot in 8 with no harm done at this point. Unless my thinking is all screwed up. I was thinking of also dropping the dose tonight but unsure since she had nothing today.

    Trying to test for ketones today as well since I can sit here with her for a few more hours.
     
  11. Djamila

    Djamila Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2015
    That sounds like a great idea. And I agree about dropping the dose. She was low for a long time today. I have a feeling her high daytime numbers are related to her low nighttime numbers, so a reduction might help her balance out a bit.

    I hope you are able to get some sleep. looking at your spreadsheet it appears you've had very little lately! I hope you hear some good news back about Dude!
     
    G & I likes this.
  12. G & I

    G & I Member

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2017
    Any thoughts as to dose? Depending on numbers I think but I can wait on that. And I was thinking of injection time even earlier if it would be safe. 3 1/2 - 4 hrs from now rather than 8.

    Vet just called. They are keeping Dude overnight to do more blood tests in the morning to see if anti seizure medication is at appropriate dose. But will call again with CT results later.
     
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  13. Rachel

    Rachel Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2013
    Not sure if this message is way too late or not...but Wow tough night for you...(well it was night time for me). So you went no shot which is fine. That means you should be able to shoot whenever you want (skipping a shot is a great time to change shot times if you ever wanted to). You just want to make sure he is high enough to shoot at whatever you want the new shot time to be.

    It's hard to know what to say for a dose (I'm terrible at reductions). Maybe if she's in her normal BG range try 3 units?

    Sending healing vines for Dude!
     
    G & I likes this.
  14. G & I

    G & I Member

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2017
    Yeah the time difference came into play here. While I was 99.9% sure it was fine to shoot whenever as long as numbers were in range, I still left things as they are. Too many irons in the fire now and I recognize that I’m not thinking very clear at present. I just fed her and so will wait the additional two hours. I was thinking of dropping to 3.25u tonight (1/2 u reduction) but will have to decide in another hour and a half.

    Really do appreciate your support Rachel. Means a lot to me.
     
    Djamila likes this.
  15. Rachel

    Rachel Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2013
    That's perfectly fine to have waited. With everything you've got going on, it's no wonder at all that you're a bit overwhelmed and not thinking clearly...I wouldn't be either! I'll try to check in on you in an hour and a half. Should be around 7:30 my time...most likely others will be around to help guide, but I'll check in too if I can to help out just in case they aren't! I do think that reduction you are thinking of will probably be fine. :)
     
  16. Kris & Teasel

    Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2016
    Why not try 3 u next dose time. I hope you see this in time - the time difference addles my brain. It might be a little low but that can be adjusted sooner than later.
     
    Rachel likes this.
  17. G & I

    G & I Member

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2017
    Okay I’ll try 3u in about an hour. What should I be looking for in regards to am shot?
     
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    Rachel likes this.
  18. Kris & Teasel

    Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2016
    So - 3 u will be the PM dose? Again, I'm confused by the time difference. If that's the case, let's wait to see what numbers the 3 u gives you. Maybe try for a +3 and a +6 after the 3 u.
     
  19. Kris & Teasel

    Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2016
    I suggest you mark when you started the new insulin vial very clearly on your SS. I couldn't find a note about it in the notes section. It's probably better to show it in the BG recording part of your SS where it's more visible to the rest of us - and you too. There are a variety of ways to do it. Mine is to insert a whole row into my SS that I label as "New Vial".
     
  20. G & I

    G & I Member

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2017
    I’ll try but that will be 2:00am and 5:00 am my time. I’m having to juggle appts for Dude and Gomas’ shot times with the hour drive one way. Spouse is down hard with flu so I am flying solo but that is par for the course
     
  21. G & I

    G & I Member

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2017
    Sorry but don’t need a lecture at this time
     
  22. Kris & Teasel

    Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2016
    I apologize, Greg. Bad timing on my part - failing to consider the huge stress you're under. Not my intention to give a lecture ...
     
  23. G & I

    G & I Member

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2017
    hover over the notes in remarks column - the new vial is clearly noted.
     
    Kris & Teasel likes this.
  24. Djamila

    Djamila Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2015
    I think with 3u, Goma should be quite safe - especially after the NS this morning. I wouldn't worry about waking up to test, unless you just wake up anyway - I think you can get some sleep tonight and just test her when you wake up. Leave her some extra food if you're worried, and please take care. I hope you, your spouse, and all your sweet fur babies rest well and heal quickly. :bighug:
     
    Rachel and Kris & Teasel like this.
  25. Rachel

    Rachel Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2013
    Man the flu hit you guys too? At this point you don’t just deserve a break...you deserve an island vacation!
     
    Djamila likes this.
  26. Rachel

    Rachel Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2013
    How are you doing today, Greg? How are Goma and Dude?
     
  27. G & I

    G & I Member

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2017
    I’m at the Vet to review Dudes tests. Haven’t been able to spend much time with Goma since BG test several hours ago. Not sure what dose to give this morning but I think back up to 3.5 or 3.75 where I was.
     
  28. Djamila

    Djamila Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2015
    I vote for 3.5u since the 3.75 gave you two lime greens. It will likely take her a couple of days to get back on track, but I think 3.75 on this vial might be a little too much once she's stabilized again.
     
    Rachel likes this.
  29. Kris & Teasel

    Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2016
    Yes, I agree with 3.5 u for now.
     
    Rachel likes this.

Share This Page