NEW WITH LANTUS

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Amy and Mickey, Apr 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amy and Mickey

Amy and Mickey Member

Hi everyone,

Just starting lantus tonight. Dosing question here. BAsed on weight, I should start with 1.5 units. He is 14 lbs. Doctor say start with 1 unit. His sugar generally gets very high, and he is on prednisone once a day. On PZI we were between 3.0 & 3.6 units BID, meaning,, he needed a good amount to bring him down.

Please, what have YOU started with, with a cat of comparable weight? Where did you end up?

Thanks,
    Amy

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I have started all mine at one unit bid. I would agree with your vet and start at one unit bid. Based on your privious experience starting at 1 1/2 units would probably be OK too but to be conservative I would still start at one unit.

3. Amy and Mickey

Amy and Mickey Member

Yes, I agree. Better safe than sorry.

4. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

It is better to be under for a day or so than to go hypo that quickly. You can up the dose by 0.5U within a few days once the shed fills up, from my understanding, if need be.

On another note - why is your kitty on pred? This can have a significant effect on his glucose levels.

5. Amy and Mickey

Amy and Mickey Member

Yes, I am aware of the effects of pred on BG. I had it under control with the PZI, just have to find what works with lantus...if it works. thank you for the "shed" reminder.

6. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

I was just curious what he was on the pred for because if it is for asthma, there are inhaled steroids that are non-systemic that can be an option. Let us know how the switch goes if you do go to Lantus. I am curious how well kitty will transition and how quickly.

7. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

If you haven't already done so, go to the Lantus Board and read the sticky's at the top. We switched Blackie from PZI to Lantus just over 4 weeks ago. He was on over 3 units of PZI, but we started at 1 unit of Lantus. Following the protocol, we quickly moved his dose up. It doesn't take that long and then you are assured that you haven't missed the right dose.

I'll look for you on the Lantus Board.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.