New, would like advise

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by chejosh, Aug 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chejosh

chejosh New Member

I took my cat Gandhi to the vet yesterday because I noticed he was walking a little funny. He has gone to the vet a couple dozen times so far this year because he has had lots of problems with allergies, his neck was hairless and pretty much one giant scab. I switched his food about a month and a half ago to Natural Balance LID Green Pea and Duck, and his neck has cleared up fine.

When I took him yesterday, they said he lost 0.7lb in one week (since I was there last Tuesday as well). So, they did bloodwork and told me that he had signs of an infection and his glucose was high (255 mg/dl). So they gave me antibiotics and gave me Purina Dietetic Management food. They said that since his glucose wasn't too high, we'd just wait and see if the food will be able to manage it before trying insulin.

However, today he can barely walk at all and as a result he isn't really eat or drinking much. He will eat the canned food they gave me, but it seems like it's too much work for him to eat the dry.

2. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to the BEST place on earth to help your baby AND you! I can't answer much as we're new to all this too but I wanted to let you know someone that knows will post shortly.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome. You do not need the prescription food. Any low carbohydrate canned food like the Fancy Feast classic ones work fine. Many cats find them more palatable than the prescription food. you can take the prescription food back for a refund.
    I agree that the blood glucose levels is not that high to normally start insulin. however, the weakness is a concern of possible other problems. Was a full blood panel done?

4. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

WELCOME TO YOU BOTH!!!

How much blood work was done??

The vet should take back the unopened canned food and the opened dry. Try the f. feast, friskies, Walmart Special kitty, etc.... Food list supplied by this site is where I get my Bean her food~ 10 carbs or less...

Gandhi will be in good hands as you have found the best place ever for information and support!

Are they wanting you to admin. insulin yet?

5. chejosh

chejosh New Member

I'm not starting insulin yet because she thinks there is a chance that the high glucose could be stress related due to the infection and there is a chance it will clear up after the infection is taken care of.

As for bloodwork, here is what is checked off on the sheet: pre-surgical, complete blood count, creatinine-kidney function, gpt-live function, glucose, hemoglobin, SMAC-chemistry pofile.

The trouble walking seemed to start suddenly. I only noticed him walking funny yesterday and now that I think about it he was quick to lay down the day before that. But before that he was running around and seemed fine, and now today he has a really difficult time standing up.

6. chejosh

chejosh New Member

Gandhi's back legs are really bad. It's really worrying me. I'm going to go out and try to find methyl-B12 somewhere. i already have a vet appointment scheduled for next Tuesday, but I don't know if I can wait that long seeing him like this.

7. How would you feel about things if you were able to test his blood glucose yourself at home to see if the BG is higher than it was at the vet (which might be related to his back leg weakness)? You can but a meter and test strips at pharmacies or WalMart. Meters are cheap - 10 bucks or less. Strips are a bit more expensive, but you can buy those wherever to get a meter. Relion makes a good and inexpensive meter that has some of the lowest prices test strips. ( for the meter, 10 to 20 for the test strips. They have two models, the Micro and the Confirm. You can only buy them at WalMart though.

Let us know if you might be interested. It's something you could do today and not have to wait till next week. If kitty ends up being diagnosed with feline diabetes, you'll be wanting to test him at home anyway in order to safely give him his insulin shots.

Did your vet mention "neuropathy" specifically?

Carl in SC

8. pamela and tigger

pamela and tigger Well-Known Member

Can you call your vet and ask them what they think you should do? What antibiotic did they put him on and what kind of infection are they treating him for?

9. chejosh

chejosh New Member

Yeah, I'll try to test him myself. I'll run out and check out this meter along with looking for methyl-B12 and check Petco for some new low-carb canned food.

The vet didn't mention anything about neuropathy.

The antibiotic is clavamox (amoxicillin trihydrate/clavulanate potassium). We don't know what the infection is, she just diagnosed infection based on the blood tests.

10. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

Here's some suggestions for foods at PetCo, depending on your cat food budget. Just pick something that's not going to break your bank :)

Inexpensive (ingredients mostly byproducts/liver): Friskies Turkey & Giblets, Ocean Whitefish (you only want to feed fish a few times a week). There are other Friskies flavors you can feed, too. Take a look at this chart and pick something under 10% carbs (but preferably under 8%): http://binkyspage.tripod.com/CanFoodNew.html

Medium-end (some muscle meat, some byproducts/liver): Low carb, grain free Fancy Feast: http://felinediabetes.com/glutenfree.htm

If you're looking for a higher end food without byproducts (this is ideal if he's an older kitty for kidney health), any can of Wellness that says "grain free" is good to feed, as well as any Merrick's B.G. (Before Grain). Merrick's Cowboy Cookout and Surf-n-turf are also good to feed.

11. Julia,
    Do you have the "how to home test" videos bookmarked. I don't, but that'd be a geat thing to see when he (or she?) comes back to the thread with a meter and strips.

Carl

12. chejosh

chejosh New Member

My name's Josh. So "he"

Currently in RiteAid looking for the methyl b12, not really seeing anything.

13. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

hmmmmm, i have to wonder if the leg problem is even tied to the diabetes because yeah, that BG level isn't real high that's for sure. "signs of an infection" bother me too for that matter. wonder what signs they saw and if they are actually running a culture to make sure there is one?

how old is Gandhi? if older i have to wonder about other possible causes for the leg problem

if you haven't hit the stores yet, grab some ketostix while you're there too because i think while the bg level isn't crazy high like most newly diagnosed kitties, i have seen kitties develop ketones without sky high numbers too so it would be worth it to test for those too.

and fwiw, just know that the right form of B12, methylcobalamin, can be hard to find in local stores, unless you live in a larger city perhaps. anddddd, it typically takes weeks to see it kick in and help so know that a dose of it tonight and in the next few days isn't necessarily going to improve his legs that quick

14. Josh,
    I'm thinking it should be where all the other vitamins and supplements are at? All else fails, ask the pharmacist.

Carl

15. chejosh

chejosh New Member

Yeah, didn't see that. I asked the pharmacist as well and she didn't know what methylcobalamine was.

16. LynnLee + Mousie

i'm in southern california and the only place locally i've seen it is at a store called Nutrition Zone. i haven't checked a GNC or someplace like that though, just pharmacies, wallyworlds, grocery stores, etc....

17. chejosh

chejosh New Member

In the process of buying meter and strips.

18. chejosh

chejosh New Member

He's about 9.

The infection diagnosis was pretty much based on a high white blood count. It was 49.59 and the normal range tops out a 19.5

19. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

Here's a some links to some tips and videos for hometesting: http://binkyspage.tripod.com/faq.html#glucose

You can also search youtube for videos if you want to see more. Here's a one using a lancet device instead of using the lancet free-hand, if you go that route. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NTvGq8xMeU

I prefer the device, but it's simply a matter of what you find easier. If you were to poll us all about half of us would say we like the device, and the other half like to poke free-hand. :D

It's much easier to test with bigger gauge lancets, 26-28g. The 30-31g ones are really difficult to start out with, and it makes it harder on the cat when you have to poke over and over again.

20. chejosh

chejosh New Member

Haven't been successful in getting blood yet. He fights when I try to get to his ear, and I got nothing when I tried it on a back paw. I think I may have broke the poking device.

21. Sam and S'mores

Sam and S'mores Member

Hey.

Has he eaten anything or gotten better since your post earlier today? If not, I strongly recommend contacting your vet ASAP. Cats can go downhill very fast.

The best links on BG testing are here, but it does take some practice.

22. If your device is broken, you can free hand the lancet. Some people find doing it that way easier.

carl

23. chejosh

chejosh New Member

He eats fine. I gave him about 2oz (I wanted to give him more, but I was worried he'd be too full to take his pill soon) of wet cat food about 2 hours ago, and he easily ate it. He purrs when I pet him too. His back legs just aren't working too well. He's able to walk, he just has to take it slowly.

I have to catch a plane in the morning, so I'm a little worried since I won't be able to watch him tomorrow or Friday. My dad will be watching him, but he won't be spending 90% of the day with Gandhi like I usually am.

I tried to do that on one of his back paw pads since it was the only think he'd let me touch without fussing, but every time I tried to push on the lancet, his paw pad would just push back and I didn't break skin. I don't know how much power I'm supposed to put behind this and I'm afraid of doing it too hard.

I tried using the device on my finger and while there was a bit of a jab, I didn't bleed either.

24. OK, on your finger, did you freehand or use the lancet device? There should be a depth setting on the device to allow you to poke deeper.
    The problem might be the size of the lancets themselves. Most meters come with 33g lancets, which are really tiny. I should have told you that up front, oops. You can get larger lancets. 26 or 28 are usually the easiest to start with. I started with 28s, then went to 30s when that box was gone. Now I use the 33s like an expert! The cats' ears actually "learn to bleed" the more tests you do. Just about everybody has trouble the first few times, but don't give up. Another one of the sugardance things that gets easier the more often you try it.

Carl

25. chejosh

chejosh New Member

The box came with 30s. I used the device on my finger on the deepest setting.

He really doesn't want me messing with his ears. Both of my hands are busy trying to hold his ear, so I can't really keep him from pulling his head away.

26. Josh,
    Can you let us know where you are located (just like the city or town and state?) There may be a member who lives close by who could actually give you some on the job training.

Is there anyone else nearby that could help you restrain Ghandi for the first test? Is it just that he hates you touching his ears?

27. chejosh

chejosh New Member

I doubt anyone lives close by, I live in Wheeling, WV. There's no one currently in the house that can help me. He's sort of fine when I'm just using two fingers to rub his ear, but as soon as I try to hold it in place and come at it with both hands, he's jerking his head away.

I've given up for now. I'm going to be out of town until late Friday evening. I told my dad if he throws up or anything while I'm gone to get him to the vet. I'll decide when I get back on Saturday if I want to get him to the vet then or wait until the appointment I already have on Tuesday.

28. LynnLee + Mousie

there actually is another member in WV but i'm not sure exactly where. and there's several members around the pittsburgh area which looks to be just over the border a bit? how far away do you think pittsburgh is? and i'll try to find out where Melissa is in WV and will get back to you

29. chejosh

chejosh New Member

Pittsburgh is roughly 70 miles away.

Gandhi seemed to be doing a little better this morning. He was still having trouble walking, but he was moving around a bit more, and he was standing to eat unlike yesterday when he'd eat laying down or sitting.

I currently feel really bad about having to leave him for a couple days.

Thanks to everyone for their help so far.

30. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Josh,

A couple of tricks to the ear pokes when you get back and start trying again that might help. Making a rice sock to warm up Gandhi's ear, just take a thinnish cotton sock, ( I raided Goodwill for a child's sock) put about 1/4 cup of plain white rice (uncooked) in the toe and knot. Throw that in the microwave for about 15 seconds until warm but not hot. Check it against either your cheek or side of your neck. Place this under Gandhi's ear to warm it. Then rather than two handing it, what I do since I no longer have to warm Musette's ears is I hold her ear with my thumb to the rice sock, you could use either a second cool rice sock or a folded paper towel or wash cloth, anything to give you a firm backing to the ear, plus this frees up a hand, as well as a few fingers to apply cheek scritches.

If your device isn't poking enough and doesn't have a depth setting, just take the cap off. Aim free hand and then use the spring action to do the poke. Don't worry if you go all the way through the first couple of times, it happens, especially in the beginning.

The other thing is if he is squirmy, you can turn him into a kitty burrito, just take a large bath or beach towel, put him in the center of it and wrapping him up with only his head showing, this will keep him from getting away and shield you from flying claws.

You can also start with baby steps to get him and you use to the whole process. First start with just getting him to come to his testing spot when called...hand over a treat when he comes when called...In our case, plain boiled chicken breast bites did the trick. Then proceed to playing with his ears, again when he lets you handle his ears without yanking his head away, hand over the treats. Next is clicking the lancet pen around his head and ears without a lancet, just let him get use to the sound...more treats. Then on to the testing itself, and more treats regardless if you get blood or not Gandhi gets his treats. He is upholding his end of the bargin so he gets treats. And Voila! before you know it, you will take out the test kit and Gandhi will come running to be tested because in his mind...ear poke=yummy treat.

I, personally, have 2 diabetics both of which I adopted as diabetics, they both come running when it is test time, because they know testing means treats. Even though one of my diabetics is in remission now and doesn't need to be tested all that much, he still comes running when he sees the test kit.

Just don't give up, if I can do it with two cats that didn't know me from Adam, you can do it with Gandhi who already knows and loves you.

Mel, Maxwell, Musette & The Fur Gang

31. doombuggy

doombuggy Well-Known Member

I have the same problem sometimes - lol. My nickname is "Jesse" and please don't call me "Mr" because I have been a female since the day I was born... :lol:

Heating the ear does help. While I got a rice sock from Lori, I burned it on the first try....new house, new micro, must have done something wrong. I had this toy that Cedric isn't really interested in (gift from Grama) but it has an insert that can be heated in the microwave:
    http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... lmdn=Brand

I am not going to lie - after 4 months I still have trouble, but sometimes I get it on the first try! I have a Relion Micro from Walmart and buy 28 gague lancets (I don't use the tool that came with the meter) at Target because they come with caps for the needle when you are done with it (then put it in the sharps container I bought at walmart too-syringes should go in there also).

It took me a couple fo days to get the meter and start testing. I bought the meter on Easter sunday but could not get strips as they are sold behind the counter and the pharmacy was closed. Back a couple of days later, as closest Wal mart is about 7 miles away.

You'll get it down. You seem dedicated to helping your boy and I aplaude you for that. Have a safe trip!

32. bookw0rm

bookw0rm Well-Known Member

For the record: I'm also from WV (Athens) but still far away from Wheeling.

Unfortunately, I haven't learned how to do ear pokes yet either, or I'd offer to help. My boy's still at the vet.

33. Melissa&Paul-Kyle

Melissa&Paul-Kyle Well-Known Member

I am near Morgantown WV and would be willing to help both of you ( Athens and Wheeling) with homestesting techniques if you like. I also have a friend in Wheeling that may be able to help if you like.

There is another FDMB member close by me- Sheryl and Cluoseau....I can send her an email or if you PM her, she is likely to respond as well.

I am not on the Health Board much, so if either/both of you would like some in person assistance, please PM or ask one of the other members to PM please.

Good luck with both your kitties! You have found a great place to help you out with care and management of not only feline diabetes but just cat care in general!

34. chejosh

chejosh New Member

I wanted to update since Gandhi had his recheck at the vet's today.

His legs have gotten completely better on their own over the last couple days. And the vet said his glucose number was down considerably. So it seems that his legs and the high glucose number was just caused by the infection he had.

I've switched him back to his old food to make sure his allergies don't flare up again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.