*NEWBIE* AMPS 379, +3 358, +6 473

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by AngelaTheGeek, Mar 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AngelaTheGeek

AngelaTheGeek New Member

Hi guys,

Bubba is on one unit of Lantus 2x per day. Today is only my second day of testing, and I'm frustrated... cat(2)_steam I don't think his insulin is doing anything... Can anyone help explain why he would go from 379 to 473 when he's supposed to be at the lowest point in the curve? I'm not going to be able to test him again until tomorrow because I will be going out of town and my partner has not tried to test him yet.

Should I be talking to my vet about increasing his dose at this point, or is that jumping the gun?

Any help, suggestions, or information would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you soooooo much!

Angela

2. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

Hi Angela, welcome to LL!

It takes about 5-7 days for Lantus to build the depot, or shed. Until the shed is full, you often will see little effect from the insulin. Lantus requires patience...it doesn't work quickly, but once you get to a good dose, it works really well. So no, I would not increase the dose.

If you haven't already, please read the stickies at the top of the forum, starting with the New to the Group and the Tight Regulation Protocol. There's a lot of info there for you to get started. Please ask any questions you might have, we know it can be overwhelming in the beginning.

I have to be brief, I'm on my way out the door....I'll check back in a little while.

3. Jenner & Felix

Jenner & Felix Member

Hi Angela!

I can't give you dosing help, as I'm new to the board myself, but Felix & I have found strength in numbers from everyone here. It has definitely helped me become more patient to read the stickies (sometimes over & over) :>)

When we started home testing & giving shots, I was terrified! But I got some great advice on how to home-test and upon rec. from another, use the Waggin Train Chicken jerky from Walmart (dog treat aisle) soaked in water in small pieces, as treats after testing. Ground up in the processor, they also offer great flake protein on top of wet food.

Just take a deep breath, stick with your initial dose for the rec. time (read the sticky notes as Laurie suggested), and keep showing Bubba nothin' but lovin! You'll do great! and your patience will win out in the long run! (I keep telling myself that every day; and it helps to hear it from everyone here on the board!) :>)

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Welcome to Lantus Land!!

Laurie is providing good info. The first 5 - 7 days of Lantus can try your patience! It does take a while for a cat to start responding. Lantus isn't like the shorter acting types of insulin that yank numbers down. Lantus is far more gentle and is longer acting. It's a bit of a trade off but given the number of cats that have a good response to Lantus and go into remission or are tightly regulated, it's worth the wait.

Like Laurie suggested, becoming familiar with the starred sticky notes and the links contained therein will help you to become familiar with Lantus and how we approach dosing.
    • Tight Regulation Protocol: This sticky contains the dosing protocol that we use here. There are also links to the more formal versions -- the Tilly Protocol developed by the counterpart of this group in German and the Queensland/Rand protocol developed by Jacqui Rand, DVM and published in one of the top vet journals.
    • New to the Group: Everything you wanted to know about this forum and more. Info on our slang, FAQs, links to sites on feline nutrition and to food charts containing carb counts, how to do a curve and the components to look for, important aspects of diabetes such as ketones, DKA, and neuropathy, and most important, info on hypoglycemia.
    • Handling Lantus: how to get the maximum use from your insulin and what to not do with it!
    • Lantus depot/shed: This is an important concept for understanding how Lantus works.
    • Becoming Data Ready: What data you need in order to be able to work toward remission or tight regulation.

Please ask questions. The people here are more than willing to help.

5. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

Just stopping by to give you a BIG LL welcome and patience is the key word with FD and lantus it takes time like the others said read and read the stickeys you just cannot read them enough I have been here over a year and still refer to them hope to see you posting

Lisa and Do Lou :mrgreen:

6. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

Welcome to Lantus Land, Angela & Bubba!

it is a great place for support, knowledge, and...believe it or not...quite a bit of laughter. :D

Celi & Binks

7. Georgia and Simon (GA)

Georgia and Simon (GA) Well-Known Member

Angela, welcome to LL!! This is the best support you can have for your kitty. Everyone here is so supportive and knowledgeable. Simon was diagnosed in November of 2010 and without everyone here, I don't think I could have managed and I know Simon would not be as healthy as he is today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.