Newbie - ketoacidosis question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by kadacat, Jul 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kadacat

kadacat New Member

Hello all - my name is Marlene (aka kadacat) and I live in Ottawa, Canada. Our 13 year old male cat, Scratch, has just been diagnosed with feline diabetes. Today was his first day on insulin. He spent the day with the vet so they could monitor him. His top glucose reading was 18.4 before insulin - the lowest reading before it starting up again was 14.3. He is on Caninsulin twice a day.

We have noticed a decline in Scratch's health for the past several months but attributed it to loneliness since we had to put our 4 yr old female tabby down in January - she has pancreatitis. When his condition didn't improve we took him in for testing. He has lost a considerable amount of weight which seems to have come off mainly in the past few weeks. Since Friday he has had a further decline with noticable inactivity and lack of interest in eating or drinking.

Today when I went to the vet for insulin training - the vet told us Scratch has ketoacidosis. In order to stabilize his glucose we need to get this condition under control. The way to do that is to flush the body of ketones through intake of food and water. Problem is, it is now difficult to get Scratch to eat or drink. They are force feeding him at the vet and injecting fluids under his skin for hydration. The vet gave us three options to treat the ketoacidosis (1) keep Scratch at home and continue with the insulin twice a day feeding him before the injection and monitor him (2) bring him back to our vet where they can continue what they did today or (3) take him to an animal hospital where they would put him on IV to flush his system. Of course the third option is the most expensive.

So, I am sure others here have experience ketoacidosis. What do you think? Will the regiment of starting Scratch on insulin and force feeding food and water be enough to kick start his system into responding correctly? We spent a fortune on trying to save our cat Tess and in the end left the hospital without her. I really don't want to go through that again.

- Marlene

2. kadacat

kadacat New Member

I am hoping my 911 tag is an over reaction but from what I read on this website is that excess ketones left untreated can be fatal so I am very worried about my poor kitty.

3. Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout

Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout Well-Known Member

He really should be hospitalized under 24 hour care. Yes, it is the most expensive but it will give him the best chance of beating this.

4. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi there

where is your kitty now?

Can you tell us what the Caninsulin dose is?
    Are you home testing? It sounds like it is only being done at the vets?

Ketones is very serious. I don't know enough to advise you on treatment, but glad it was caught.
    Others will be by to help you with those questions.

Just a note on the numbers: the board consist of mainly members from the U.S, so we use American numbers for Bg readings

very easy to convert
    18.4 x 18 = 331
    14.3 x 18 = 257
    So just multiply your Canadian numbers by 18.

I'm not going to get into the insulin choice your vet gave you - it's more important to deal with the issue at hand.
    But if you stick around, you will probably learn a bit more about insulin choices out there.

5. kadacat

kadacat New Member

Thank you for your responses.

Scratch is at home tonight - I bring him back into our vet in the morning where he will spend the day under their care. I did just hear from a friend that had a diabetic cat that she heard the Caninsulin was recalled in the US. I will also talk to our vet about that tomorrow. The dose he is on right now is 1 unit twice a day (hope that makes sense).

- Marlene

6. Pandasmom

Pandasmom Member

Glad you posted.... I wish I was home in person instead of stuck in meetings across the country!
    Hopefully some of the experienced people here will have advice for you

odiesmom

7. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

I found this link about Ketones, for some info for u.
    Ketones

Caninsulin is the Canadian version of Vetsulin, which had the recall in the U.S.
    You may want to mention to your vet about home testing as well, most vets don't encourage it, but in the end, its the safest thing you can do when giving insulin.
    And you don't need your vet's permission to home test.

Keep us posted ok? Hoping for a good vetty visit for your kitty.

8. Pam and Layla

Pam and Layla Member

Please, if at all possible, get your kitty to the 24-hour hospital. Scratch needs to be on the IV fluids treatment, and there, they can monitor electrolytes, infections, and feed appropriately.

Best to you both,
    Pam & Layla

9. kadacat

kadacat New Member

Thanks for your advice. Scratch did not have a great night and was hiding this morning. We are taking him into the 24 hr vet hospital. Please send good thoughts and/or prayers his way.

- Marlene

10. kadacat

kadacat New Member

We said goodbye to our sweet boy this morning - a very difficult decision but we feel was best for our cat. His DKA was in a severe stage with damage to his organs. Thank you for your support on my brief time here.

11. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

(((marlene)))
    i'm so sorry for your loss.
    wings_cat fly free, scratch...

12. Lee and Tida (GA)

Lee and Tida (GA) Member

so sorry...........

13. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

(((((Marlene))))) You gave him the greatest gift, even though it broke your heart. Fly free Scratch. wings_cat

14. laur+danny+horde

laur+danny+horde Member

I'm very sorry you have lost Scratch, on top of losing your little tabby girl earlier this year. Terrible losses in a short time. You have our condolences, Marlene.

laur

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.