Newbie, pre-diabetes & pancreatitis

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ashley Merrill, Feb 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashley Merrill

Ashley Merrill New Member

Hello everyone,

I’m brand new here and thought I would introduce myself. Sorry if this post is crazy long!
    My name is Ashley. My 13 y/o cat Wesley has a history of IBD (not currently a problem) and now chronic pancreatitis with frequent and severe flare ups, and at this point he has pre-diabetes and huge blood sugar jumps when he’s in a panc flare. He has been on prednisolone for a few years. He is not on insulin as the vet would like to put him on a diabetic diet and see if we can stave off full blown diabetes. The vet would like him on Purina DM canned, and I would like to find a healthier alternative. I have done hours of research (to include pouring over Dr Lisa’s cat food charts) and I’m having a hard time finding a high quality canned food that is low carb and moderate fat (mod. fat for the pancreatitis, even though the data on that is mixed). Does anyone have any suggestions? The vet suggested a protein other than chicken (since that can be an irritating protein for IBD cats) but that limits the options. So far I have tried Rawz Turkey (he refused that), but we might try the rabbit formula if the fat & carbs aren’t too high. He won’t eat raw or home cooked either. I’m interested in trying Ziwi Peak (which he liked before but it’s higher fat) or Tiki Velvet Mousse, but that’s chicken. Hoping for some advice on finding a balance between low carb and moderate fat- this is certainly a challenging mix of health issues to manage with a picky eater!

Thank you all in advance for any tips you might have!
    -Ashley & Wesley

2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Ashley and Wesley.

Jones had IBD, chronic pancreatitis and FD due to the prednisolone.

I never really worried about the fat content. Jones was on the Rawz Turkey and he ate that for the most part. We did stay away from chicken at the end as it did seem to set off really bad IBD flares. The other one he really liked was the Nature's Variety Rabbit (it has pork in it as well) - the regular one not the limited ingredient one as that one was high in pea protein. I did happen to get a few Rawz Rabbit but he didn't seem to like it as well as the Nature's Variety Rabbit. He did like some venision for a bit but then changed his mind - Natural Balance (?). I did give him some salmon, lamb mix - Triple delight - it does have chicken liver however and he eventually went off of it.

In the end...it is what Wesley will eat is important. So it is hard to say what will work.

Marje put a some really good information in this stickey Pancreatitis Primer

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  3. Ashley+Wesley

Ashley+Wesley New Member

Hi Tracey,
    Thanks so much for the reply. Gosh, is sounds like our cats might have been long lost twins.
    I am getting mixed opinions from every vet as to whether or not fat content triggers or aggravates pancreatitis. Did you find that it was not an issue for Jones?
    Wesley used to eat the Instinct Rabbit original and loved it, but then as he changed his mind one day and refused it. I could definitely try it again as that was a few years ago.
    I think my biggest area of confusion is whether to go for a chicken-free high/moderate protein, low carb with higher/moderate fat (like venison or rabbit) or to do a chicken formula with high protein/lower fat/low carb (like Tiki Velvet Mousse chicken). It’s all so confusing and I can see each option having benefits or risks. Do you have an opinion on this or am i just over thinking? Very guilty of that these days! :(

4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome Ashley and Wesley. Poor little guy! :( I hope you can find some answers here on the board. If you would, post in the Main Health forum so that more eyes will be on the questions and issues. There are some members here that have dealt with IBD and/or pancreatitis and I'm sure would offer you the benefit of their experiences.
    Edit: I see now that you are already posting in the Health forum. Terrific. I hope that Wesley will be feeling better very soon.

Reason for edit: Edited comments.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.