Newbie question about hiding

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by River Fae, Jul 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. River Fae

River Fae New Member

My cat, Dorian, was diagnosed a few days ago. To my knowledge, his BG has never been past 459. He is 11. There was no sign of ketones in urine at the point of diagnosis/beginning of treatment. There was an indication of infection, which the vet is initially assuming is UTI. SO, for the 6 days since diagnosis, he's been on antibiotic and also insulin. He started on 3 units of insulin twice a day (he's almost 15 pounds - somewhat fat, but also very large boned and long). The day we did the all day BG testing (for a curve), he was around 40 for an hour. There was no sign of hypo reaction, but it scared me. We reduced at that point to 2 units. The vet thinks he'll end up on 2.5, but for now he's on 2. He did not handle ear pricks as well as cats seem to usually. It was highly stressful for all. He fought and fought every single time.

Since beginning treatments, along with a diet change, he is drinking much less water and is urinating much less. He seems to have more energy. But, he is also periodically hiding under the entertainment center. He will come out if I call him for a while, or pet him for a while, but it scares me that he's doing this when he hasn't done it before. He should be feeling better. Any thoughts?

Thank you so much!

2. Alexi

Alexi Member

Hello and welcome! You will find lots of help and support here.

Can you give us a little more information?
    What insulin is he on?
    What diet changes have you made and when?
    What meter are you using?

Can you post on the health forum with this information and a link to this thread, also the numbers and times of the curve and the experts will be able to advise. Often numbers are higher at the vets and the diet change together with the treatment of the infection can bring the numbers down quite dramatically so my initial thought is that the dose needs to come down a little more, but more information will help build the picture of what is happening with Dorian.

3. River Fae

River Fae New Member

4. Shorty

Shorty Member

For the first 2 days after bringing him home, Shorty hid more often than usual. He hasn't hidden in the last week or so.

5. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Being tested and getting shots every day is a new experience so that may be why he is hiding. To make it a better experience for Dorian, always reward him with a low carb treat after testing and also shots. A good low carb treat is freeze dried chicken. Most pet stores will carry it. If you look in the dog treat aisle, it is usually cheaper than the same type of treat in the cat treat aisle. Soon he will associate getting tested and shots with getting a treat and before long he may start reminding you when it is time to test. :cat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.