newbie questions-hypo kitty and weak legs-advise pls!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jid58, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jid58

jid58 New Member

Hi y'all-
    my diabetic cat- PC died last january. Now I have this 10 month old BIG kitten and he is very large cat-lately he has had weak hind legs- trouble jumping on counters and bed. I kind of tossed the idea that he was just growing so much- anyway- it popped into my head to check his blood sugar "just to see" and it just said "lo". Hmmm.......... I dont know how low it is- but I remember checking my diabetic cat at one time and it reg. to be 22- so this cats sugar must be really low. He is a very quiet natured cat- lays around- likes to eat- will flop out on the floor and not move from your path kind of guy- we have to step over him alot. So, now Im wondering whats going on. His diet for the most part is canned foods - no dry foods at all. He also gets cooked meats- pork and chicken.
    Just to be safe, I gave him a small dose of kyro syrup a few minutes ago- he hasnt been interested in eating. something is going on here. We just moved to a new location- and the vets here are just country vets- not too interested in treating cat illnesses. I really feel like Im on my own- need your help- any ideas?
    thanks much!
    jody

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

It is almost impossible for a cat on insulin to get too low of a BG. The except is a rare tumor/endocrine problem that results in the pancreas secreting too much insulin. Leg weakness in felines and humans is caused by BG being to high. A leg weakness can be caused by low-blood potassium. Maybe the meter is not reading right. I would check the BG or your own blood. It should be around 100 or so.

3. jid58

jid58 New Member

Thanks Larry- I just checked my own sugar and its at 67. Which is normal for me I think- I live on a rather low carb diet. Cant eat wheat.

4. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

I would be getting your kitty to the vet asap to check out the cause of the weakness...low potassium is but one possibility

Jen

5. jid58

jid58 New Member

Thanks for the replies- I took Murph to the vet today and we just dont know what it is. Did 2 x rays- and his spine and hips look good. Nothing obvious. The vet has put him on a steroid and I think he is responding- he is acting more perky and willing to walk across the room. We are hoping he has a injury- like a deep bruise or sprain causing him to be so weak all of a sudden. He does not complain or cry out. Question- Isnt giving a steroid sometimes thought to be the cause of later problems like diabetes? Thanks for you help and concerns. PS- I will mention the possibility of the potassium deficency to the vet and see what she thinks.

6. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Yes, steroids can cause diabetes which is why they should be used only when required....sorry! I hope that there are no side effects this time. Did the vet do blood work?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.