Newbie starting insulin tomorrow and real nervous

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi, Mar 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi Member

Hi, I just found out this morning I have to start my Gretchen on insulin. I work in the medical field and am nervous about the injection! Silly I know. Mostly worried about the minuscule amount and getting it correct.

I am also curious as to if anyone feeds canned Beyond. I believe it was on here that I read it was good low carb.

I have 2 other kitties and just lost my oldest one a couple weeks ago. I also have 2 dogs and 3 horses and I’m a single busy person...my animals are my family :)

Gretchen is around 13. She was 34 pounds at her top weight and now is a much healthier 10 pounds...but not healthy the way it was lost (diabetes)

Excuse me for being scrambled, I’m tired, but I also have another question...can I use a human glucose monitor or do I need a special pet one???

Thanks to all!

BTW Gretchen is the dilute calico and Nikita, who I just lost is the tortoise shell (in my avator)

And OMGosh another edit...I didn’t see Lucky sleeping in the back there :)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    Reason for edit: Add comment on aviator
  2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome! You can use a human meter, in fact most of us do. It will read lower than your vets meter, especially at high numbers, but it will show you trends and if Gretchen’s bg is high enough to give the shot. HERES our food chart. Look up the flavor Beyond you use to see if it’s below 10 carbs. Come to the Main Health forum and ask any questions you have. Hope to see you there!

3. cmonmiracle

cmonmiracle Member

Sorry to hear about the loss of your precious kitty, Nikita.

Welcome! You'll find lots of answers here.

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! 34 lbs?! Wow. I have a link in my signature to the version of the food chart where you can filter by your desired parameters. It looks like the Beyond Grain Free Pates are the lower carb Beyond foods.

The injections will become very routine pretty quickly, so don't be too nervous. :)

5. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Thank you all...I woke up reading on here before I even had my coffee. You all seem like a real friendly group, thank you so much for that. I asked a question one time on a dog forum years ago and never tried this again. “Clicks” had formed and they were pretty mean.
    I ordered the Relion Premier Blue because I like that it synches with phone and keeps a log. My vet is having me start this am. Starting before I have monitor. I have an appointment with him Monday and he’s going to teach me how to get blood sample and use it. I’ve had so much info packed into my brain since yesterday, but I believe he said you have to use a pet monitor so I was happy to read here. The one pet one that starts with A I had in my cart until I saw cost of strips...OUCH!
    I’m am SO NERVOUS over the tiny minuscule lines on this syringe! I can hardly see even with readers. My vet is having me use TB syringes as the needles are stronger and easier. He also said to pick up sterile saline, fill syring to 1 with that then pull the two tiny lines of insulin. I could not find sterile saline at any pharmacy I went to so I’ll be trying without saline. If it’s a disaster I can get bags of saline at hospital I work at ....
    I’ll be trying this right around 1030. I’m an x-ray/CT tech and I work swing so my target times will have to be 10a and 12p. I super worry about those hammered nights when I’m on call and can’t get out of there (I’m on call one night a week)
    Ok...I’m sorry! My nerves are rambling here through my typing thumbs!

6. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Glad you were able to get your reply posted! Here’s some info including videos, on testing
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/
    It’s really easy to do and is the best way to keep Gretchen safe and let you know how well the insulin is working. Since this is the intro forum, come on over to the Main Health forum and tell us more about sweet Gretchen. Include what insulin your using and if there are any other concerns. We’ll be glad to help you learn all about this sugar dance!
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Perhaps your syringes are a full ml instead of 3/10.... The 3/10 ones with half unit markings are so much easier to see. Which insulin?

8. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

I think this needs to be moved from the intro thread, I’m hogging space here
    Novolin N and vet prefers TB syringes and needles. All went well, I’m just not sure if I got it in. I know better than to try again. I don’t have monitor yet so keeping a close eye on her.

9. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

As long as the fur is not wet, you got it.

This is a site many of us order from. This is an example of syringes that hold less so the syringes are easier to see, and half unit markings make it much easier to dose fractional units. https://www.adwdiabetes.com/product/5739/ulticare-u100-vet-rx-half-unit-syringes-31g-3-10cc-60ct

10. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.