Newby dosage advice needed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by candy gleason, May 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. candy gleason

candy gleason New Member

Hi, I'm Candy and my kitty Baby has recently been diagnosed with diabetes. It's been about a month and only through these forums have I learned that I can and should be testing at home. Last night, again through the help of the wonderful people on this site and others, I learned about neuropathy and what I can do to help Baby overcome it. It was horrifying to watch his hind legs not working properly but encouraging to learn that B12 Methylcobalamincan make a big difference. I am more than grateful and the generosity of strangers like you who so willingly give their time and knowledge.

Last night, I finally realized I needed to go get the test kit and start testing his blood. I had dreaded doing it, but I did it tonight. His BS was 280. We (vet and I) had reduced him from 2 units to 1.5 and then to 1 hoping that the new diet of Fancy Feast low carb was reducing his sugars, but they obviously have shot back up. I'm thinking I should return to 2 units. What do you think? He is on Prozinc.

I look forward to your wisdom. My boy is just a love - a Maine Coon cat living in Maine who jumps up in complete strangers' laps for pats because that's the kind of guy he is. He is the most relaxed fellow we have ever had as part of our family and we so want him to be happy and healthy again.

What should I do for dosage?

Thanks
    Candy

2. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome Candy!

My Minnie had severe neuropathy and she recovered 99% so there’s hope!

I’m making this short because I have to feed and medicate her but 280 is not a bad number, but it’s a number in a vacuum. We need more data to say increase or decrease. When was the testing done? Before the shot and with no food? Or after? If you browsed the site, then you’ve seen our spreadsheets. As soon as you set up yours, you should start testing at the amps and pmps no food 2 hours before each and then also a few times throughout the day to figure out when his lowest point in the cycle is. Usually at +6 but not always. We base our dose adjustments on that lowest number so the 280 does not mean much other than it’s a safe number to give insulin if it was a pmps. Take a look at this link:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/new-how-you-can-help-us-help-you.216696/

You’ve come to the right place and welcome again!

we can chat more about neuropathy later :cat:

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

4. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB Cindy and Baby! So glad you found us. You have already been given good advice and questions to help Baby. Once you've had a chance to read and breathe its a good idea to set up your signature and a spreadsheet. If you are having trouble doing that just let us know. There are people here that can help with that.

Again, WELCOME to the best site on the planet to help you help Baby!:bighug:
    jeanne

5. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

As other people have already said, a single number does not tell us if the dose should be increased or decreased or stay the same. We need context, to understand the BG number.

Please test before every insulin shot, so you know that Baby's BG levels are high enough to give him insulin in the first place.

Please do get your User Id Signature set up Candy, and then the SS (spreadsheet) where you would record the doses and the BG (blood glucose) test data for Baby. Then we would be able to help you more.

Bron gave you a link, back in reply #3, that takes you to the setup instructions.

When was the food change made? What food was Baby eating before? Doses changed when? All of that type of information could go on the SS. For now, answers in your next reply would be good. Looking forward to seeing some more information.

Welcome and we hope to get Baby feeling better.

p.s. Waving from coastal MA, across another state border and up into ME.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.