Newly diagnosed and having problems

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Minet2269, May 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minet2269

Minet2269 New Member

Hello,
    My name is Kim. My 16 year old boy, Minet, was just diagnosed last week. He had lost interest in eating which caused a lot of weight loss, and was drinking and urinating a lot. Before Christmas he was about 14 pounds. Currently he weighs 8lbs 6oz. The vet has started him on Vetsulin, .5 to 1 U depending on his eating habits. He used to eat dry food, which after much research has made me conclude that may have caused his diabetes. I didn't know this, and now feel a lot of guilt that we caused this. We now have switched to canned. We also purchased a glucometer to check BG. Unfortunately, we're dealing with a cat that gets very stressed whenever anything is done to him. Going to the vet is always a nightmare. But, even at home he gets very stressed if we even try to cut his nails. That being said, trying to test his glucose has been a horrible experience for him and us. We try to get him as calm as we can before starting, but the minute we try to stick him with the lancet, he gets stressed: hissing, growling, clawing, etc. Also, much of the time we can't get him to bleed enough. We've tried on his ears and his paw. We've managed to get blood from his ears a couple of times, but you can now see bruising on both ears when we shine a light through them. We do warm his ears before and put pressure on after. We also got a sample from his paw twice, but most of the time he just won't bleed either place. We end up having to stick him a few times, which makes his stress even worse. Another thing is, even though it supposedly doesn't hurt, you can definitely tell it does hurt him.
    The other problem we're having is we just can't get him to eat as much as he should. Most days he may eat about 3 or 4 oz TOTAL for the day. I know that's not nearly enough for his weight. We've been trying different brands and flavors. He eats a brand/flavor for a few feedings, then loses interest.
    We're trying to stay calm through all of this, but it's definitely taking it's toll on all of us. [​IMG]

2. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

Hello and welcome.

3. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

Welcome ! I am fairly new but I can share with you how I got my kitty who was 28lbs to cooperate for his tests. I started by setting the treat next to me and shaking the bag. I then touched his ears often throughout the day without using the lancet but I had it sitting next to me and I would lay it by his side just so he would get use to it. I sit on top of him with his head and face away from me. I also have a little light I set on the floor I use the BD ultra Fine 33 gauge Lancets with a cotton ball which I hold on the inside of the ear. You just gently push on his ear on the sweet spot close to the rim of the ear. He hardly ever feels the prick thanks to the fine lancets. Just braley poke and it bleeds. If the ears are cold I warm them with my hands while stroking him, he loves it, Fritz now comes and lays by the light when he is hungry knowing that as soon as I poke he gets either his food or a treat (Cat man do Bonita flakes or freeze dried chicken Pure Bites.
    I use neosporin just a tiny dab I have never seen bruises or scabs. I wash his ears with a warm wash cloth too.
    I know it seems so overwhelming and frustrating but I can tell you from experience it gets easier. Find what he likes and use it to your advantage.It does get better.....:bighug::cat:

Sarah Smith likes this.
  4. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

Kim you mentioned you give him canned, do you know if they are 10% or less in carbs? A lot of us feed Fancy Feast Classics less carbs. I also feed Fritz homemade organic hormone antibiotic free chicken thighs which is Lisa Piersons recipe.
    Someone more experienced should come along soon to answer your questions.
    Have you considered setting up a Spread Sheet it makes it a lot easier for them to see how and what insulin and other factors that effect your dosing.
    Which glucometer do you use?

Sarah Smith likes this.
  5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

See my signature Secondary Monitoring Tools for other assessments you can make while you work on home testing. In particular, do dehydration checks, plus food and water intake and output assessments.

Sarah Smith likes this.
  6. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Try using a very thin coating of neosporin with pain relief on his ear. Also try desensitizing him to the test. Start by choosing a spot to be the testing spot. Take him there several times a day, pet him rub his ears and give him a treat then let him go-no test. When he seems calm, introduce the poke. Remember that you must be calm, Minet will sense your anxiety.

7. Minet2269

Minet2269 New Member

Wow! Thank you for the responses!

DebG, We were feeding him Blue Buffalo but lately have been feeding him Fancy Feast. He's so finicky that it's been hard finding something that he'll eat. He'll like a flavor for a couple of days, then lose interest. Yes, I have a sheet that I'm keeping track on. We are using a ReliOn Prime glucometer. The lancets are 26 guage.

BJM. Thank you for the link in your signature. That's very helpful.

Sharon14, My common sense tells me to remain calm,; I just wish my mind and body would cooperate!

8. SandyS

SandyS Member

@Minet2269 --my Macy is newly diagnosed, too, so we are in much the same boat. Just wanted to say re: being calm-my cats can read me like a book, too-you sure can't fake 'calm' with an animal, I think there must be stress pheromones that they can smell. Minet is a doll, love that sweet face-I hope you can find a solution for the ear pricking that helps alleviate the stress. <3

9. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  10. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

Hello and welcome

11. Minet2269

Minet2269 New Member

@SandyS - You are so right! Minet always knows when I'm upset. He'll actually come close to me and try to console me (when he's not being messed with like trying to get his BG). It's so precious!

@Sharon14 - Thank you for the link!

Thank you everyone about your nice comments about Minet. There are so many beautiful kitties on here. I've enjoyed looking at all you photos.

Critter Mom likes this.
  12. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi, Kim. Welcome to you and Minet. He's got the sweetest little face! :)

Even if you're not calm, pretend! ;) When I started testing I found it upsetting to make my beloved girl's ears bleed and she picked up on that big time. Things got better for both of us when I started faking a very matter-of-fact, get-down-to-business attitude to the blood glucose testing.

In addition to monitoring Minet's blood glucose you need to frequently check his urine for ketones, especially when he's not eating as much as he should. You can get ketone urine test strips (e.g. Keto-diastix) anywhere that sells diabetic supplies. (For information: trace ketones = call vet straight away for advice on how to proceed; higher than trace ketones = take cat to vet immediately for emergency treatment to flush out the ketones.)

Here are some links to perhaps help you to tempt Minet to eat a little more:

Persuading your cat to eat

Suggestions on how to stimulate cat's appetite

Also, keep an eye on him to see whether any of the foods may be making him nauseated. The following link tells you what symptoms to look for and possible treatments to discuss with your vet if needed:

Nausea & appetite problems - symptoms and treatments

A simple but frequently very effective first thing to try is elevating the food and water dishes.

Mogs

13. Minet2269

Minet2269 New Member

@Critter Mom - Thank you! We elevated his food and water dishes. I also called the vet and was told slippery elm would be fine to use. Hopefully these will help, providing I can get him to take the slippery elm. I know his tummy is upset. Yesterday he vomited a little foam, and was trying to go after some greens in a bouquet of flowers I have.

Critter Mom likes this.
  14. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Fingers and paws crossed that the slippery elm will help. If he is still struggling to eat tomorrow get to the vets and ask about anti-nausea and appy stimulant meds; it's far better to nip appetite problems in the bud in general, but if a cat is severely inappetent they can go on to develop hepatic lipidosis very quickly (potentially life-threatening).

Also, is Minet pooping OK? Constipation can trigger nausea. If in any doubt about this I suggest getting your vet to examine Minet to make sure there are no obstructions in his GI tract. More info at the following link (but be sure to get the vet to check Minet over and discuss any potential treatments first).

www.felineconstipation.org

Mogs

15. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

When you have a moment, could you add a few tidbits to your signature? It will help us give you feedback.

Editing your Signature

In the upper right corner of the screen, within the dark blue bar, you will see ID, Inbox, and Alerts

Click on your ID.

On the left, under Settings, Click on Signature.
    This is where you will put information that helps us give you feedback. You are limited to 2 hard returns, so separate pieces by | or -.
    This is where you paste the link for your spreadsheet, once it is set up.
    Add any other text, such as your name | cat's name | date of Dx (diagnosis) | insulin | meter general location (city and state/province) any other pertinent issues like if there are any food issues, history of DKA, hepatic lipidosis, pancreatitis, allergies, IBD, etc.

Click the Save Changes button at the bottom.

16. Minet2269

Minet2269 New Member

@Critter Mom - The "Persuading your cat to eat" link doesn't seem to be a working link. I can't seem to even get on that website at all. Is there another site that may have the same or similar information?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.