Newly diagnosed - anyone in the Denver area?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ssblackcat Sophia & Susan, May 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssblackcat Sophia & Susan

ssblackcat Sophia & Susan Member

I need a FD friendly vet in the Aurora/Denver CO area. Anyone here live by me?

2. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

I have a friend who is very connected in the feline veterinary world and is from Denver. I just asked her and she immediately said Tender Touch Animal Hospital in Downtown Denver

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. ssblackcat Sophia & Susan

4. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Good luck!! everything ok with your kitty? I just saw your old posts - do you want to start a spreadsheet and start posting to the Prozinc forum so we can help you with dosing - I noticed that the dose was increased from 1 unit to 2 units - that's quite a jump.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  5. ssblackcat Sophia & Susan

I have not started testing her myself at home and I'm trying to get started today if I can. I've been diligent with her feeding schedule and her shots every 12 hours. She also had a urinary tract infection and has been on antibiotics for 2 weeks. But she is using the litter box normally and she's acting much more like her old self, other than she wants her Temptations and doesn't understand why I won't open that drawer for her anymore. The vet wants her back in a few days for another curve but I want to find a different vet. The Tender Touch Animal Hospital is quite a distance for me to take her. I live east of Denver and she gets quite stressed going to the vet. We would be in the car for about 40 minutes if I took her there. I'd like to find somewhere closer. And I have this stupid thing called a job that's getting in my way!!! I've been very overwhelmed and worried about taking care of Sophia, paying for it and making sure she feels good!

6. Carol & Murphy (GA)

It sure sounds like what you are doing is working, from the sounds of things. Once you start home testing, you can fine tune the dose. I just took a look at the Tender Touch Animal Hospital website - sounds like their founder Dr Apryl Steele is on the Board of American Association of Feline Practitioners but is transitioning to Denver Dumb Friends league - if I were you, I might call or email her at the Dumb Friends League and explain your situation - ask if she can recommend a feline vet with FD experience in Aurora or East Denver. I don't know anyone else, sorry

7. ssblackcat Sophia & Susan

I used to volunteer at the DDFL, I will do that! In the meantime, I'm standing in Walmart in front of several Relion meters...which one should I get?

8. Carol & Murphy (GA)

I use AlphaTrak2 but I think most use the Relion Prime (hope I'm right)

9. Erica & Carter

Erica & Carter Well-Known Member

The Relion Prime's test strips are cheaper but the meter requires a larger blood sample, while the Relion Confirm/Micro's test strips are a bit more expensive than the Prime but the meter requires less of a blood sample. It depends what you're more comfortable with, but all are good meters. I use the Relion Confirm myself.

Critter Mom likes this.
  10. ssblackcat Sophia & Susan

Do I feed my baby before testing or after? I don't remember seeing that anywhere.

11. Erica & Carter

Erica & Carter Well-Known Member

You want to hold all food for two hours prior to testing at your pre-shot time, so you can get an accurate BG reading that isn't food influenced before you shoot. Generally the rule is test, feed, shoot. But certain insulins like (Vetsulin/Caninsulin) require a bit more food on board prior to shooting. In your other thread you said you're using PZI, which I have no personal knowledge of, but I'm sure some experienced members will chime in.

12. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Yes with PZI it's test, then feed, then shoot. Withhold food for two hours prior to the preshot tests. The rest of the day, feed as normal and test when you can. Do come over to the PZI/ProZinc forum and introduce yourself. You will be very welcome there!

13. ssblackcat Sophia & Susan

Well, we tried. I didn't get any blood and though Sophia was very patient, she did flinch and it made me anxious. We agreed that we would try again tomorrow. So I will watch some more videos and read some more advise about hitting the sweet spot. I feel good about getting my supplies and trying!

Critter Mom and Erica & Carter like this.
  14. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Make sure the ear is warm

Sharon14 likes this.
  15. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

When you start testing every time you poke it helps even if you don't always get a sample since it encourages new capillaries to develop in the test zones. As they increase it will make getting successful tests progressively easier. :)

You're doing great!

:bighug:

Mogs

Sharon14 likes this.
  16. Sharon14

I didn't get blood my first try either. Make sure her ear is nice and warm-I vigorously rub Colin's ear between my thumb and index finger-he loves it. Most use a sock filled with rice and microwaved until warm. I've also found one of Colin's ears bleeds more easily than the other. Keep trying and let us know when you succeed!

Critter Mom likes this.
  17. ssblackcat Sophia & Susan

I set up my spreadsheet and this weekend, we are going to get busy.

18. Critter Mom

Great stuff! Sending positive vibes for all to go well at the weekend, some scritches for Sophia Maria, and a :bighug: for her mama. :)

Mogs

19. ssblackcat Sophia & Susan

We did it! Her BG was 206 on a Relion glucometer and I put it in my spreadsheet. We're on our way to home testing!

Critter Mom likes this.
  20. Sharon14

Wonderful, congratulations!!!:cat:

21. Critter Mom

Woot! Congrats on your first test!! :woot:

22. Sharon14

Just looked at your SS. The 206 was @+11, be sure to get a test before you shoot and post it on the ProZinc forum. She may need less than 2u. Great job!

Critter Mom likes this.
  23. Critter Mom

24. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Please post in Prozinc - if truly the 206 was just 1 hour before your next dose of insulin - 2 units would be too high - if fact, if you read the Pronzinc yellow stickies in the prozinc forum, 200 is the number that newbies are advised not to give any insulin
    Please post in the prozinc forum so @Sue and Oliver (GA) and @Rachel can advise you with dosing (@Robin&BB too)

Sharon14 likes this.
  25. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I would not give 2 units. It is always better to start a little lower and then you can increase if needed, as you get home tests. I'd start with 0.5 as it is night and harder to monitor. And I think you just switched to wet low carb? You can always raise the dose for future cycles.

Congrats on your test!

26. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Sue - see the Prozinc forum - I pasted this post there to an older post - she already gave the 2 units

Sue and Oliver (GA) likes this.
  27. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I just answered in the prozinc forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.