Newly diagnosed but hopeful Georgie

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Georgie, Dec 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Georgie

Georgie Member

My cat 5 years old, Georgie has been diagnosed as having diabetes and a heart murmur.
    He is a very active and vibrant kitty, some say annoying but I say adorable. He's such a happy little guy I would never in a million years have thought he would have this. He's young and not obese.. yet the vet believes it was brought on by illness.
    I had to rush him to the urgent care vet one evening as he was limp, lazy and ignoring me. Opposite of his normal. He scared me! But after almost two days in the hospital and ivs and over a thousand dollars.... He is back to his normal self... Happy, vocal (Never shuts up), hyper little couch tiger.
    Georgie and I have a goal.... to get him into remission asap. He isn't bothered by the shots but I certainly want to win. The heart murmur is another story and I can not do anything about it but this diabetes I can!

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to FDMB....you have come to the right place to get the care you need for Georgie.
    Getting a diagnosis of diabetes can be overwhelming at first...there is a lot you can learn to help George. It is great you are wanting to help Georgie.
    I will ask you a few questions if you don't mind answering them as it will help us help you.

What type of insulin is Georgie on, what is the dose and how often are you giving it?

What does Georgie weigh?

What country are you living in.......this helps to point you in the right direction for things like food.

What food are you feeding Georgie? We recommend you feed wet (canned) or home prepared food. It is much better for diabetic cats as it is much lower in carbohydrates than dry food which we do not recommend you give. There are plenty of suitable canned foods you can buy at supermarkets and petshops. 10% or less carbs is what you need to be looking for. A lot of us feed around the 5% mark. There is no need to buy the expensive prescription food from the vet. We also recommend you give a couple of smaller meals in the morning and again at night instead of just twice a day.

Are you home testing Georgie's blood sugar?
    We highly recommend you buy a glucometer and strips and learn to test. It is not hard to learn and it does not hurt the cat. We will help you learn and get started..everyone is scared to do it at first but it soon becomes easy!
    Here is a link for home testing
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

Also we recommend you set up a spreadsheet (SS) to document the blood sugars (BSL). We can then look at the SS and help you with the dose and what you can do to help Georgie.
    Here is the link to set the SS up
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

Would you like to tell us you name?
    Ask lots of questions....everyone here is only too happy to help you...we all love our kitties and understand how you are feeling at the moment.
    Again welcome and looking forward to hearing back from you:)

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hello, Georgie's Person.

I just popped in to welcome you and Georgie to FDMB, and wish you both a happy Christmas and a much healthier New Year for your little couch tiger. With you in his corner, I'm sure he'll do marvellously! :)

Mogs

4. Georgie

Georgie Member

5. Georgie

Georgie Member

Thank you for the welcome. I do appreciate it and being amongst others that understand loving their furry companions. Even through hard times. Lately I have had such bad luck. I rescued three at once. Georgie, a littermate and an older cat. His littermate died of a heart attack when she was being fixed (which is mando when you rescue in Guam) Recently Georgie lost his older cat friend.. I sadly had to put down because he had lymphatic cancer that was so bad treatment was not a real option. (He would have been more miserable and very very small life expectancy.) Now this!!!!!!!!!

6. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Oh my! but you've had such a sad time. :(

Fingers and paws crossed that things will go well for little Georgie. Hopefully he'll achieve remission. Even if he needs to stay on insulin that's OK, too. With the right care, diabetic cats can live long, happy, and healthy lives. It's a bit of a vertical learning curve in the early days, but you'll be able to get all manner of information, tips and support here to help you help Georgie back to wellness.

Sending you some :bighug::bighug::bighug:. I really do wish that the coming year will be much kinder to you.

Mogs

Georgie likes this.
  7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Aria!
    Thanks for all the info.
    I have attached a link to home testing and tips. It does take time to do, so don't give up. I give Sheba chicken stock to drink while I test her and she doesn't even notice I am doing it. If you make chicken stock make sure it is only chicken bones and water....no salt or additives. You could also give a small piece of boiled chicken to distract him. A lot of people give something after testing as a reward and they soon learn it is coming.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

I do not use Prozinc insulin so am not familiar with its use but I will tag someone who might be able to help you..
    Good luck. It is great you are helping Georgie.
    @Sue and Oliver (GA)

Georgie and Critter Mom like this.
  8. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I posted on your other thread. I think the most important thing is to try to get confident home testing, so you can see where his levels are without vet stress. As someone else suggested, heating the ear is very important in the beginning. The capillaries plump up with heat and make it easier to get blood.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.