Newly Diagnosed cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Thelonius, Nov 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thelonius

Thelonius Member

Hi all,

My cat Thelonius (8 yo, neutered male) has been recently (last week) diagnosed with diabetes. Currently treating with my veterinarian's recommendation: 2 units glargine 2x a day and canned food only. He responded to treatment almost immediately, but is now back to demanding more food and has lost a bit of the regained activity levels. Starting to look into home testing (though I already have the vet appointment scheduled to do a glucose curve).

Any tips appreciated!

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Welcome to FDMB!!

We are huge fans of home testing -- it's a great way to not have to pay your vet to do a curve. There is information in this link on home testing including videos. Testing at home is the best way to insure your cat is safe.

I'd encourage you to get a glucometer. Many people here use the Relion meter from Walmart -- human meters work with cats. There are also pet specific meters but the cost for strips makes the use of a pet meter prohibitively expensive.

We also suggest you set up a spreadsheet. It will allow you to track Theolonius' progress and it will allow us to also see his progress and answer your questions. This is a link to the spreadsheet we use.

And if this isn't enough to throw at you, there is a huge amount of information about Lantus and it's use at the top of the Lantus Insulin Support Group board in the sticky notes.

Most new members start out on the Health board. The members there will help you get oriented to FDMB. Everyone here is very generous with their time and information so join the group over on Health so we can help you and Thelonious get started.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.