Newly Diagnosed Diabetic and Pancreatitis

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Chandler-Holly -Gizmo, May 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chandler-Holly -Gizmo

Chandler-Holly -Gizmo Member

My poor kitty, Chandler has just been diagnosed with Diabetes and Pancreatitis. This has all happened since Monday. Monday, he wasn't feeling well, so I made an appointment for later in the week. As the day turned into night, he was getting worse and by Tuesday morning, I couldn't wait and took him in to the vet.

He was lethargic and just sat at his water bowl, just staring at it and just not his normal grumpy old man self. He wouldn't eat his wet food, which never happens. Chandler just turned 17. I got the call later on Tuesday from the vet that he was diabetic and very sick. He was in hypoglycemia and also a bladder infection. So, they started insulin and iv, etc. to begin to bring him down.

In our area, after hours, we have to take any overnight pets to the ER vet. So, last night, he spent the night there and continued with the meds. Temperature wouldn't stay up, so they kept him with warmers and he has a catheter at his neck. They monitored him all night and this morning, it was back to the regular vet. They have him now and did some more tests and he has tested positive for pancreatitis as well. The vet thinks the pancreatitis started the diabetes. She also said it's hard to treat the pancreatitis due to the diabetes. I'm still researching that. Anyway, he perked up a little today, but hasn't eaten or drink since this happened. So, I went to see Chandler this afternoon to see if I could get him to eat. I brought his fav can food and he smelled it, but didn't eat. He did drink about a half bowl of water. With the vets permission, I did force feed him about 1/4 of the can of food, just to get something on his stomach. I'll be back to take him to the ER overnight again today and the vet said maybe he could come home tomorrow night.

Chandler is normally kinda grumpy and doesn't like the vet at all (like having to sedate him to get blood because he refuses to let them touch him). Right now, isn't doing that and I know he isn't well. He did purr a min while I was there. This is all completely new to me and I'm afraid he isn't going to make it, but I am not giving up on him. He has never been ill in 17 years until now. I'm hoping if he gets to come home, even for a night, that it would help him just being at home. He is an anxious cat normally and I know all this hospital stuff is making him very stressed which also doesn't help.

Anybody have any advice from experience. The vet is also worried about the pancreatitis and so am I.

2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi!
    I am going to call hogwash on your vet.

Jones was originally diagnosed with IBD and pancreatitis. Of course we pursued measures to correct/assist him to a better place which lead to the FD. I have to warn you, it is not an over night fix and sometimes the pancreatitis is chronic. That said, we have several members here that have kitties that suffer from that and FD. It is doable just maybe not be easy some days.

If he does have pancreatitis I suggest you ask for anti-nausea medication(I give Cerenia), some pain relief (Jones was never given anything but I belive most here suggest Buprenorphine) and maybe some appetite stimulants (I have used mirtazapine) but it can cause kitty to act very strange. There is another one that I have tried that is actually a human drug - just trying to remember the name of it. That will help with getting Chandler feeling better and eating.

There are probiotics, slippery elm bark....the people here can help with all your questions and ideas. ECID - every cat is different, but I think there is plenty of options that can be offered here.

Home is always the best place for Chandler to be.

I would ask you vet if she tested for keytones. It is a very dangerous condition that can develop when you have inflammation/infection + not eating + not enough insulin.

The people here can help guide on the insulin dosage etc that maybe needed during the transition. If fact to address the FD, if you haven't started insulin yet I suggest you start by reading some our introductory information. The spreadsheet is the best tool you can have for keeping him safe once you get home. I really encourage you to home test your grumpy old man. Don't take no as an answer from your vet!

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-use-the-fdmb-the-basics.132260/
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/creating-a-fdmb-profile.159626/

There is more but I didn't want to overwhelm you too much. But these will get you started and will help us help you quicker.

Did you mean hyperglycemia? I ask because hypo is when it is blood sugar is low so I am little unclear why they gave him insulin?

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  3. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Oh, and I did forget, diet is an important part of the diabetes dance, can I ask what food do you have Chandler on right now?

4. Chandler-Holly -Gizmo

Sorry, still new to all these terms. He was in hyper i think, so they gave him whatever needed to get him down. Was over 500 and now down to 160 today.

I have been feeding him and my two other kitties meow mix dry (eat when they want) and one can friskees each night. That was before all this and what he ate for 17 years.

They are checking keytones tonight. He has been too weak to use the litter box on his own. He perks up a little, then back to sleep. He looks drowsy and doesn't even notice me (atleast it looks like that) I'm sure I would be like that too if it was me, but I hate seeing him like that. The ER vet keeps saying his odds aren't well with the Diabetes and Pancreatitis. But, here I am seeing a lot that are and I hope he can feel better and be his normal self soon. I work from home, so taking care of him isn't a problem and will do whatever I can.

The ER vet didn't like that he hasn't perked up more in the last 24 hours and said he should have and that has me worried too. Do you have any experience with cat's at this point still on IVs and fluids?

5. Chandler-Holly -Gizmo

Finished the about me page. I don't have anything else yet. I'm hoping to bring him home tomorrow. Maybe he wouldn't be so sick being at home. Tonight I picked him up out of the carrier and he didn't react much and his tongue was out a little. That was strange. He's got so much going on and the cath in his neck. See pic
    IMG_1305.JPG

6. Chandler-Holly -Gizmo

They are giving him Cerenia tonight. Right now, I'm just trying to get him out of the vet and home and see if that makes a difference. Vet said maybe tomorrow, but will still have the cath in. It was difficult to put in and had to be sedated. I don't want sedation all the time. I worry about that with him. Is there anything while at the vet I could tell them to try? They gave Ampicillin, Potassium Chloride, Famotidine injections. I'm just trying to read of the copy of the chart they gave me.

7. Chandler-Holly -Gizmo

Here's some info from last night: I'm new to how to read these
    IMG_1311.JPG IMG_1310.JPG IMG_1306.JPG

8. Tracey&Jones (GA)

It is scary to look at. Jones didn't need IVs luckily but he was very sick He went from a plumb 5.75 to 4.1 kgs - not a lot of meat left on his bones. We have had kitties on IV for 3-4 days before seeing a turn around.
    That is a nice number. The lower the numbers the more of the nutrients he gets from his food will be absorbed by his body. This he needs to heal.

Dry is not a good for kitties especially diabetic and ones that need fluids. Friskies classics/pates I believe on the list for low carb foods. You may want to check out catinfo.org at the food chart. Look for anything under 10% carb.

http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

If they are doing blood work they can check for keytones in the blood. It shows up there before it shows up in the urine. High five on getting that done.

That is normal. Jones slept the first 3 months and I was basically hand feeding him to get the food in.

Additional questions for the vet - did they check his b12? Jones was in the dumper - they need b12 to help with food absorption.

The way I saw it - because of the IBD/pancreatitis Jones couldn't absorb his food and his system was in crisis mode (diarrhea, puking, weight loss, b12 deficiency, muscle wasting (being eaten by his body to survive), etc. So you need to address those issues but it takes time. You may end up tube feeding or syringe feeding him (yes, we have peeps with experience with that too). You may end up give subq fluids to keep him hydrated (yes, we have peeps with experience with that too). The most important thing is for your vet to provide him the support in addition to those things - pain meds, nausea meds, appetite stimulants etc. At the same time, once you get the food in and absorbed, with the FD you have to deal with the next step of getting the blood glucose "available" for his body to use for energy to do all the functions it does. So, yes, your vet is right, long road.

I am going to tag a few people to see if they can add any information that maybe helpful for you.
    @Squeaky and KT (GA)

9. Tracey&Jones (GA)

I see that your kitty was diagnosed DKA....which means that they should of tested for keytones in the beginning. That is why the fluids. I see they gave him antibiotics. His PVC is increasing which is good but he is anemic still....

I need help here...Squeaky is not on the board at the moment.

@JanetNJ
    @Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

ETA - sorry just saw that PVC dropped again.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  10. Tracey&Jones (GA)

I haven't dealt with DKA so I don't have a reference point to go from. I hope the other members I tagged can join in soon at let you know how to proceed.

11. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Might want to start a thread on the Main Health Forum. When you setup your Signature information make sure to add the DKA, there are a few members who have experience with it and more eyes will see on Main Health :). Poor little guy, wishing for a speedy recovery :bighug:

12. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Good point - should of thought of that!

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  13. Chandler-Holly -Gizmo

Thanks for all the help guys. It's a lot to take in and the ER vet says he has a 30% chance, but I see it totally different, but looking at him, he's just a shell right now. I'll be going in to see him later tonight.

14. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I had a cat with pancreatitus, but it wasn't my diabetic cat.

My cat had all the same symptoms as yours.... He was already getting sub q's at home because of his kidney disease, so that was in his favor as he wasn't severely dehydrated.

He got cerenia, bupe for the pain, and I have daily fluids. We are fortunate to have caught it early so he was back to normal in about 6 days.
    The meds fortunately were enough to get my cat to start eating again. Still he lost over a pound in a week.
    I don't have any experience with dka.

If they suggest a feeding tube many on here have said it was a life saver.

15. Tracey&Jones (GA)

I wish you luck and will be watching for your updates.
    :bighug:

16. Chandler-Holly -Gizmo

Should I just post the link to the main forum, or just start it all anew?

17. Chandler-Holly -Gizmo

Thanks Tracey...even if Chandler isn't feeling well, it's nice to know someone else understands.

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  18. Tracey&Jones (GA)

d
    Just do a link

19. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Sure do. I had it in my head - 3 months - I will give it my all for 3 months and see then. Glad I did.

20. Chandler-Holly -Gizmo

k, just did the link to the main forum. See you there

21. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

My guy had a bout of DKA but didn't have pancreatitis. He was very ill with the DKA though. He needed fluids, electrolytes, fast acting insulin to get BG down and round the clock care in the ER ICU for a couple of days. It took him a few weeks to get back to normal afterward.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  22. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

First, HUGS AND HUGS AND HUGS....I'm so sorry your baby is so sick.

SECOND - in LARGE letters - your baby is not anywhere near ready to be released and as much as you want him home, it's just not possible right now and him improve. DKA is VERY critical and yes, as much as we all hate it, can quickly be fatal. 24 hour vet care is required - IV's, balance electrolytes, get that potassium up, get that ph off acidic back into normal range. You just can't do that at home. He also needs a feeding tube to get calories in.

I'm SO sorry - this REALLY REALLY sucks....MORE HUGS.....

I'll be back shortly, hugs again....

23. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Holly so sorry for your furbaby. I call hogwash on your vet too. Phoebe has Inflammatory bowel diesease and pancreatitis and diabetes. She was sick for a week and in hospital for 4 days. She didn't eat for 5. She takes meds for the pain, nausea, and vomitting and inflammation. It's not the ol' Phoebe yet, but we are doing the dance. Don't give up on your boy unless he tells you its time. Youll know. It's not easy and having the DKA is hard on their systems but he is where he needs to be. She is on 11 units and that has been 3 months, still unregulated. When he comes home hope you plan to home test. That's the way to keep him safe., while he heals. Big hugs. This is the best place to be for info and advise. Just ask. Learn, arm yourself with knowledge. I love my vet but ended up having to say, you are either working with me or I will go somewhere else. The people here told me she was wrong but was afraid to go against her. Phoebe is my cat, I test her Alot, and I know how to treat her. I learn something everyday. It's a marathon not a sprint. Many hugs and scritches to your furbaby and head bumps from Phoebes.

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  24. Kris & Teasel

Please don't even try to treat this at home. It's well beyond the capabilities of an owner and also many non-ER experienced vets.

25. Chandler-Holly -Gizmo

Well, I thought I would give an update as I won't be on here anymore. Chandler passed away this afternoon. He was doing better and got to come home last night and went in today to take the cath out, but I had seen his breathing was a little odd (not struggling, just odd pattern). So, I asked about that while there and they found fluid around his lungs, so the removed that, so they could see the lungs and heart. His heart was bad and in the final stages of heart failure. With all these things, the vet just didn't think he was going to have much of a quality of life from this point and the fluid would continue to come back. So, I made the decision today and he died peacefully with me. Thank you everyone for your help thus far. It was greatly appreciated. This cat was the light of my life for 17 years and I loved him more than anything! Not sure how I will continue on without him. :(

26. Kris & Teasel

I'n so sorry you've lost your precious kitty. :rb_icon:cat_wings>o

27. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Very sorry to hear he did not make it but he is at peace now and no more pain. :bighug:
    May fond memories of your beloved Chandler warm your heart always cat_wings>o

28. Chandler-Holly -Gizmo

Thank you. I wish I could have some comfort. We made a nice wood box, stained it and with the letter C on top and laid him to rest on our land with his favorite blanket and toy. I will plant a weeping willow there as well. I miss him so so much. I don't want him suffering, but I also want him with me forever, but I will have him forever in my heart and that's a promise I keep.

29. Kris & Teasel

:bighug::rb_icon:cat_wings>o

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.