Newly Diagnosed & Need Help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sylvia & Millie, Jan 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sylvia & Millie

Sylvia & Millie Member

Hi, just joined. Feeling a bit overwhelmed. I have three animals - two cats & a dog- and each has a major medical issue. The youngest, Millie, was just diagnosed with diabetes two days ago. Her 17 year old brother has kidney disease (he had the treatment 4 years ago and is hanging in). My dog used to be on raw and I tried with the cats but they were not interested. I was feeding Millie Trader Joe's cat food and her brother gets Weruva, they do end up switching bowls so I need something that is good for both of them. Last week Millie stopped eating and all she wants now is Halo's Stew kibble. I hope to wean her off (I saw the instructions on how to do this). I've been looking at food charts for the past two days and I'm overwhelmed. Please Help.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Most here feed fancy feast classic or Friskies pate foods. Both are under 7% carb.

Sylvia & Millie likes this.
  3. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome! It is overwhelming at first, but it is a quick learning curve if you spend some time here and ask any questions you may have. I am pretty new too and would've been lost without this board, so many helpful people here. First thing everyone will recommend is do blood glucose (BG) testing at home with a meter that can be bought at Walmart. But ask away, many experienced folks here very willing to help.

4. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

I am super new, too. Welcome. I am so glad to have found this forum. I have gotten so much help already (2 days) and the overwhelm is melting away.

Lisa & Nacho and Sylvia & Millie like this.
  5. Sylvia & Millie

Sylvia & Millie Member

Should the food be under 7%?

6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I think most of us aim for a maximum of 10%. It can depend on the cat - some are very carb sensitive, some not and some do better with very low carb, others with slightly higher.

7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Under 10% is considered low carb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.