Newly diagnosed, overnight at the vets

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Smokey's mom, Dec 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

Hi there, I'm looking for some hope tonight. 13 year old male cat diagnosed yesterday with diabetes, had an insulin shot 6pm last night, and 6pm this morning, 2 units each. He is not eating/drinking, pupils were dilated and he can't walk today, just collapses. He's at the vet overnight for more fluids, there are ketones present. I'm worried and wondering what can I expect as a prognosis. The waiting is really hard for me.

2. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

Meant to say 6am this morning..........

3. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Do you know what his sugar was when he was diagnosed? Do you know what it was when you took him into the vet today?

4. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

Yes, yesterday it was 500, today when I took him back to the vet, 250.

5. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi I'm so sorry your kitty is sick. What insulin is he on, and how long after his shot did he start showing symptoms?

6. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

Hi Sharon, thank you. he's on Lantus, 2 units/2x a day. He was ok during the evening, but very groggy, dilated pupils, weak and couldn't stand after the second dose this morning. Sugar was 250 today vs. 500 yesterday. He was showing signs of ketones, vet was going to give fluids tonight. I just feel terrible, and feel I failed him but not noticing sooner. He was eating fine, too but I took him in because of weight loss.

7. Sharon14

Don't blame yourself. Cats are very good at hiding symptoms of illness. Was the 250 at the vet, or are you home testing? What's your cats name?

8. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

I appreciate that, no home test, both readings were done at the vet. 500 yesterday, 250 today. His name is Smokey, I have his littermate too, female named Pogo.

9. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

I know he's where he needs to be, it just seems in my mind I've already lost him.

10. Sharon14

Will the vet call you to let you know how he's doing tonight?

Smokey's mom likes this.
  11. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

He was pretty dehydrated yesterday, took him back today because I was concerned about him getting through the weekend if he wasn't eating or drinking.

12. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

You did the best thing you could have in getting your cat to the vet. I hope you get some good news and he gets to come home soon. Sending prayers. :bighug:

Smokey's mom likes this.
  13. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

The vet will call me in the morning, they open at nine am. We have an awesome vet hospital here, the best. I've been using them since 2002. Very low staff turnover, very compassionate too. There is no one on duty tonight, was tough to leave him today.

14. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

Thank you for the prayers, they will help! I hope so too, I'm not used to this sort of thing, my animals give me very little to worry about, the waiting is not my strong suit. I was wondering if anyone had experienced this before and how did it turn out for you and your cat?

15. Sharon14

It's good that you have a vet you feel you can trust. I haven't had that problem with my cat, Colin, so I can't give you any insight. But I will keep you and Smokey in my prayers.

Smokey's mom likes this.
  16. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

Thank you Sharon, glad you and Colin have been lucky.

17. Sharon14

Thank you. Do you have a pic of Smokey and his sister? I'd love to see them.

18. Vegetable (GA)

Vegetable (GA) Member

@packerfan122 my car vegetable spent 3 days at the vet's office in August for ketones. She wasn't eating either but after a couple of days of fluids & of course her insulin she came home & I'm happy to report she is doing pretty good these days. I say pretty good only cause she's due for a slight increase in her dose this weekend.

while smokey is at the vet's office may I suggest you take some time to read up on feline diabetes & ask lots of questions. Also I suggest you get yourself some testing supplies so when smokey comes home you can check his blood sugar at home. Some vets don't tell you to home test but it is very very important to be home testing. Many people here say you would never give your child insulin without checking their blood sugar to make sure it's safe to shoot insulin so it's the same for your smokey. You can find lots of information about using lantus in the lantus & levemire support group side of the site. If you read all the stickies you will find lots of info & if you have questions everyone here is more then happy to answer your questions.

I hope smokey feels better soon!

Bobbie And Bubba and Sharon14 like this.
  19. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

100_1181.JPG Here they are, Pogo is on the left, Tiger, Smokey is on the right, grey/white.

Sharon14 likes this.
  20. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi There! So sorry Smokey is in the hospital but, that is the best place for him to get rehydrated and them to replace the electrolytes and get the ketones out of his system. Keeping good thoughts for Smokey and to you for peace of mind tonight. You are a good bean to act quickly and get him attention. Hugs! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Smokey's mom likes this.
  21. Sharon14

They're beautiful!

Smokey's mom likes this.
  22. Bobbie And Bubba

Good advice Jennifer!

Smokey's mom likes this.
  23. Bobbie And Bubba

The shadowing under Pogo's chin looks like he is wearing a bow tie! ;)

Smokey's mom likes this.
  24. Bobbie And Bubba

Keep us posted!

Smokey's mom likes this.
  25. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

Vegetable, thank you. I've been reading so much over the past two days, believe me, I can't even see straight! Was your cat walking when you took her in? Your post has given me hope, I'm happy you're both doing well! I'm a big believer in the home testing, levels are so important. Smokey/Pogo have been free feeders. I'm a home health aide who works 22/24 hour shifts, so things are going to have to change here for the cats, and me. This is the first time I've ever signed up for a forum, nice to know I'm not alone in this.

26. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

Bobbie and Bubba, I never noticed that before! Thanks for the new insight and postive thoughts, I will be back tomorrow with good news, I hope!

27. Vegetable (GA)

Vegetable (GA) Member

Vegetable was walking but she just did not look or act well along with some vomitting & she had her head in the water bowl allot.

Veg was also a free feeder before she was diagnosed along with my other cats. We adapted & changed our routine to manage vegetables special requirements.

Can you tell us a little about you? Where are you from & what's your name?

28. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

Thank you, I only hope I was fast enough, he was very dehydrated and couldn't even stand when I took him in, he only wanted to lie down......

29. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

Yes, I live in Maine, been here 24 years, grew up in WI. My name is Meredith. I have the two cats, have owned and showed two horses as a young girl, and had a Black Lab who was put down in 2013, just shy of his 14th birthday. Love hiking, swimming, anything outdoors.

30. Sharon14

Hi Meredith! Maine BRR! I live in South MS, it was in the 50's today and I was cold:oops:. I know I'm a wuss! When I saw packer fan, I thought there might be a WI connection. I showed horses too. What did you show in?

31. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

Yes, I definitely like four seasons! 50's is considered tropical here! :) I showed hunter/jumper, B Circuit in WI from 1981 to 1990. Came to Maine in '91 for two weeks, and never left. What did you show in?

32. Sharon14

I showed Quarter Horses in Western Pleasure, Halter and a little bit of Hunter. Still have 5 horses of my own and board 4 others. Was out today fixing fences....my sister was just in Maine and she loved it. The pics she sent were beautiful. I need to go to Maine in the summer. It's too hot here then.

Smokey's mom likes this.
  33. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

So nice you have horses still! What area did your sister visit? Maine is nice in the summer, some people say the coldest winter they spent was a summer in Maine! Quarter horses are great, worked with a lot of them when I taught horseback riding at a summer camp.

34. Vegetable (GA)

Vegetable (GA) Member

Hi Meredith, now that we know your name & where your from we can give you a little more information about testing supplies.

Since you live in the U.S. You can go to any Walmart & pick up a human meter called relion. Most people use the relion micro or confirm model, the prime is cheaper per strip but some people report having error messages with them & end up wasting strips but pretty much any meter is ok. Don't waste your money on the pet specific meter called the alphatrak. The human meters work just fine & the strips are allot more affordable then the alphatrak test strips.

As for insulin, since smokey is on lantus you can order it from Marks Marine pharmacy in Canada cheaper then you can get it at your local pharmacy. You will also need to pick up some U100 syringes, I'm not sure where the cheapest place to get them in the U.S. is but for me I get them at Costco for $33 a box (I'm in Canada).

What kind of food does smokey eat? You want to get him on a wet food only diet. Don't waste your money on prescription food. You can buy fancy feast pate for much less & it is lower carb then the prescription food.

Keeo us posted when you get an update from the vet & hopefully smokey will come home happy & healthy tomorrow.

Sharon14 likes this.
  35. Sharon14

Can't remember the town, but it was along the coast. Was beautiful!

Smokey's mom likes this.
  36. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

Hi there, you are awesome! Smokey is on Fancy Feast wet food and has been for awhile, the pate. Thank you for the tip on the relion too. I am so grateful for your posts. I intend to update as soon as I have news about Smokey. Thank you for your concern :)

37. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

So much to see and do here! Hope you get to the area!

38. Sharon14

I hope so too. :)

Smokey's mom likes this.
  39. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

Thank you all for your caring support last night. Smokey passed in the night, vet checked on him late in the night, but this morning he was gone. I am glad I could reach out to you all and you answered.

40. carfurby (GA)

I'm so sorry. Fly free Smokey. Sending prayers.

41. Sharon14

I am so sorry Meredith. Fly free sweet Smokey :bighug::bighug::bighug:

42. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Dear Meredith - so sad reading your update. Please hug Pogo tightly today and may she give you comfort Very, very sorry for the loss of sweet Smokey massive hugs to you

43. Bobbie And Bubba

I am so very sorry for your loss. Fly high, Smokey. cat_wings>o

44. Melissa24

Melissa24 Member

I was reading your posts yesterday and I'm so sad to read your update. I am sorry for your loss :(

Smokey's mom likes this.
  45. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

I'm struggling today with the "what ifs". What if I had taken him in sooner? I regret now, knowing he is gone, should I have put him down instead of admitting him? I am so sad he passed without me there to hold him, and I'm kicking myself for not having left an article of my clothing for him, a familiar scent for him during his stay. I just didn't think. Things will look brighter soon. I am wondering how he would have fared with treatment, he was a low maintenance cat, always, and I am struggling with if he had gone through the shots twice a day, testing, for him, would that have been more for him or me?

46. Bobbie And Bubba

Sweetie, it will serve no purpose for you to "what if" as you will torture yourself. And as I type that, I remember doing the same thing with my Sug, who crossed. Give yourself time to adjust to the loss and don't beat yourself. Wishing you peace. :bighug::bighug:

Smokey's mom likes this.
  47. Sharon14

Meredith, it's so obvious how much you loved Smokey. Please don't beat yourself up over what ifs. You did the best you could for your sweet baby, and that's all any of us can do. Know that he is at peace now and I truly believe you will see each other again.:bighug:

Smokey's mom likes this.
  48. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

Thank you, I'm really glad you understand. It goes a long way.

Sharon14 likes this.
  49. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Meredith, I'm so sorry. I just saw you first post. And wanted to say you are so not alone in this. Cats are masters at hiding illness. I have a Smokey also. I'm familiar with Sebago Lake although it's been years since I've been there. Spent summers there as my grandparents had a house on the lake.

Take care and again so sorry.

50. carfurby (GA)

Don't beat yourself up. You did the best you could for him and it's obvious you loved him very much. Hold on to the memories and know he's not in any pain or sick and is whole and healthy again. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Smokey's mom likes this.
  51. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

Great name :) Yes, they are. He lost weight quickly and was drinking more water, after a few days I took him to the vet. Wish I had a crystal ball to tell me what the outcome would be if I had been faster. Summers, not too shabby on Sebago! Deepest lake in Maine. Hope you get back here someday!

52. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

Thank you, after such a quick diagnosis and demise, I'm relying heavily on the people here today. Never used a forum before, glad I reached out! The most caring and compassionate people I could ask for.

53. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Meredith - I'm sure this day is going to be difficult for you - how is Pogo faring? You both need each other right now - hug her tightly

54. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

Thank you for checking, Pogo is perfectly fine, she's a smart cat, and I'm surmising she realizes Smokey wasn't faring so well this past week. She is more affectionate by far, and a friend told me she is probably somewhat happy to have me all to herself. No signs of distress whatsoever, but she is staying close.

Sharon14 likes this.
  55. carfurby (GA)

It could be she also realizes you need some extra loving and is trying to comfort you. I'm glad she's doing okay.

Smokey's mom likes this.
  56. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

She is the smart and sensitive one, thank you, me too.

57. Sharon14

I'm glad you added Smokeys pic as your avatar. He was a beautiful boy and I'm sure he knew how much you loved him. Glad also that Pogo is helping you through this.

58. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

Thank you Sharon, your orange cat is a beauty too!

Sharon14 likes this.
  59. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Very sad. Sending purrs and prayers.

Smokey's mom likes this.
  60. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

Thank you Larry and Kitties :) Tough day, so thankful to be hearing from kind people who get it.

61. billysmom (GA)

billysmom (GA) Member

I'm so sorry to hear of Smokey's passing. Don't second guess yourself. You did all you could and should do. Let Pogo take care of you. I've found cats are good at knowing when their humans need extra attention.

Smokey's mom likes this.
  62. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

Having a hard time tonight, I'm anxious for answers about his suffering, did I do enough, was he comfortable, etc.

63. Sharon14

Meredith I really am sorry you are going through this. I've been there and do know how you're feeling. I really think you did all you could for sweet Smokey and that he truly felt your love. I hope, in time, you will be able to let go of the pain you're feeling right now and just focus on the love and happy times you and Pogo had with Smokey.

Smokey's mom likes this.
  64. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

Thank you Sharon, I just feel so responsible and feel terrible and albeit a great facility, he died away from home. I'm trying to focus on the good, have had a few smiles today. I come from a long line of oversensitive Pisces. Time is the healer.

65. Carol & Murphy (GA)

So sorry tonight is so difficult, Meredith I realize it must be very sad without Smokey. Focusing all that love on Pogo will honor Smokey and make both of you feel better. How did you leave it with the vet? Will she call you to discuss further or was it more final? It's hard with animals, because frequently we don't know what really happened.

Smokey's mom likes this.
  66. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

Hi Carol, thank you, you are so right and I will honor Pogo :) The vet will call me when his ashes are ready, and I intend to email a few questions to him that I have so he can be prepared. We have a wonderful vet hospital here. I'm having the hardest time about not asking the right question, "Dr., what is your recommendation?" He was willing to try the fluids, and so was I, he was upfront there were no guarantees which I appreciated. We live in a small town and we're all very familiar, our vet and his staff are so approachable. I am mostly second guessing my decision and feel I should have had him put down yesterday afternoon while I was there and with him. I feel I made a mistake. I had so much hope, since it's such a treatable disease. Thank you for caring!

67. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Oh wow, Meredith & Pogo. So sad. I've lost 4 boys so far, and I am sorry to say that it never gets easier. And all four, like your Smokey, have passed away while at the vet's when I wasn't there. The way I look at it is that I loved them enough to leave them in the care of someone that was best suited to take care of them and that I trusted.

Believe me, when you see him again, your boy will never fault you for not being there. He will thank you for the 99.9999% of his life that you were there loving and caring for him and his sister.

Smokey's mom likes this.
  68. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

Sorry to hear about your four boys, I trust my vet/staff 100%, believe me, this is no slight to them at all. I really thought I would see him today....You have brightened my evening by reminding me I will see him again :) Thank you for that. We had a good run, that's for sure.

69. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Meredith - this is a tricky disease, and unpredictable - if they have ketones, the situation can turn dangerous very quickly - that's probably what happened,don't you think? There was no way to know yesterday what was going to happen during the night - I am sure the vet would have informed you if he thought there was no hope. You did everything right, and what you (and your vet) thought was in Smokey's best interest - don't beat yourself up (easier said than done)

Smokey's mom likes this.
  70. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

Hi Carol, yes it is tricky, and could have opened up other problems for him down the road. You're right about not knowing what would happen during the night, I can't tell you how much I hope he didn't suffer, that's the part that's twisting me up. I cannot thank you enough for your kind words Carol. I just want turn the clock back even though I can't.

71. Carol & Murphy (GA)

I know, Meredith, I know

Smokey's mom likes this.
  72. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

Carol, what is your experience with Feline Diabetes? Do you have current cats with it or past cats? How did the regulating go for you?

73. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Meredith....I'm so sorry it was Smokey's time to leave you, but you mustn't blame yourself even a little. You did what you could and Smokey knows that and loves you for it

I'd like to share a fable with you, but I'll warn you.....it will make you cry!!...but as you'll read in the fable, your tears are "healing tears" and soon you'll remember the wonderful things about your dear Smokey and the pain will begin to fade.

It's original title is "The Loving Ones", but I've always called it "You Have Chosen Tears"

I hope it brings you peace

Smokey's mom and Squalliesmom like this.
  74. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

Chris and China, thank you for sharing this, what a keeper. I was warned, and the piece resonated with me. Smokey LOVED to paw at water, he would move water bowls across the kitchen. I am glad to know I'm a Loving One. Always. I will pass this fable on to others. It's just the beginning for me today, I was hoping he would pull through. I hope he does, I just am struggling with the fact I wasn't there when he crossed over.

75. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Boy, that was a tear jerker... Meredith, to answer your question - yes, I have a kitty with diabetes- he was diagnosed 4 months ago - there seems to be three types of kitties with diabetes - some go into remission with just a diet change, or very quickly after treatment with insulin; some need insulin but are relatively easy to regulate, then there are the ones who are very difficult to get regulated. My Murphy is one of those - still not regulated and these last four months have been extremely difficult. So its impossible to know which type of diabetic Smokey would have been. I know tonight is difficult - maybe you'll feel better after you talk to the vet. Do me a favor and right now, go give Pogo a huge hug.

Smokey's mom likes this.
  76. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

Hi Carol, I am finding great comfort here tonight. Yes it was! Pogo has been hugged per your request :) Sorry to hear of the regulation issues, really. Are you doing the testing? I have learned so much in the last day about this, I'm guessing you're trying everything. Is he good with the injections and regular meals? I will feel better soon, it's been a huge help to be here. I will talk to the vet when I get more centered.

77. Sharon14

So glad you could find some comfort here. It does help to be among people that understand what you're going through. I lost one of my babies a short time ago, and I still miss her.

Smokey's mom likes this.
  78. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Oh Sharon, I'm sorry you are still feeling so sad about Tess

Smokey's mom and Sharon14 like this.
  79. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

It certainly does. I'm sorry to hear abour your furbaby..........she will live on in your heart, and I believe you will meet again someday. :)

Sharon14 likes this.
  80. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Meredith, I saw your post yesterday, and was so hoping for a happy outcome for you and Smokey.

I am so very sorry for your loss. It is never easy to lose a beloved family member. I understand how much it hurts, and how you are questioning your actions, but you must not second-guess yourself, it will only bring you more pain. Both you and your vet had every reason to believe that you would see Smokey again today. You did absolutely the right thing! And above all, Smokey knows, still, how much you love him and that you always did the very best for him. Hold tight to Pogo, and both of you take comfort in knowing you will see Smokey again. {{{HUGS}}}

Fly free, beloved Smokey cat_wings>o

Smokey's mom likes this.
  81. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

Hi Squalliesmom, thank you for your kind words. Rough day without him today. I was hoping the fluids would bring him around, my vet was clear it wasn't a guarantee. I appreciate your hope for a happy outcome. So glad Pogo is here with me :) Lot of caring people in this group, huge help! Do you have a cat with diabetes now?

82. Squalliesmom

Meredith, my heart just breaks for you. I lost a beloved kitty 4 years ago, and still grieve for him. My situation was sort of the reverse of yours, the vet convinced me to let him go, against my better judgement, and I found out later I was right, he could probably have been treated and spent several more years with me.

Yes, I have a sugar cat, my senior boy Squallie. I have learned so much from this site, and been helped by so many kind, knowledgeable people!

Keep Pogo close, you need each other right now. Pogo will miss Smokey as much as you, so it's good that you can comfort each other.

Sending prayers, love and strength,

Lucy :bighug:

83. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

Hi Lucy, I am glad you understand. My heart goes out to you too, big time. May I ask what you found out later? If you're not comfortable sharing I understand. I am trying to empower myself with knowledge. Pogo is close, but to be honest, she was always the more affectionate cat and seems perfectly fine right now. I'm glad you have been able to treat Squallie, how is he doing?

84. Sharon14

Good morning Meredith, how are you doing?

Smokey's mom likes this.
  85. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

Good morning Sharon, um, a bit better thank you. Haven't rounded the corner yet, but it's coming. I appreciate you're asking. I'm a home health aide, was on a 24 hour shift and had Smokey with me when he had his first round of fluids and needed his first and second insulin shots. He stayed in my car that night where I could check on him often, and I had plenty of blankets for him. I am just praying he was warm enough, had his cat carrier covered with blankets and insisde too. Did I do the right thing by keeping him with me that night? It was a bit chilly out, but I took a heating pad out to him.

86. Sharon14

Wow! It sounds like you did more than most people would have done. I'm sure he wasn't too cold, he probably enjoyed being with you. How long have you had Smokey and Pogo, since they were kittens?

87. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

You should have seen it, I had a tray in the car and put some litter in it, he had food and water, like a biosphere in there! Smokey and Pogo were littermates, got them from niece, there were four in the litter, Smokey was the only male. Three kittens were left, she brought them in the crate, and I told her I would take the first two that came out. I remember it well. Thanks Sharon, I wasn't quite sure I had done the right thing, I just home he was warm enough, I checked on him a lot that night and gave him his shots. Picked him up and held up a lot. It was hard for me to get coverage on short notice for me to leave and go home to give him his shots, so I thought this was the next best thing, but he was noticebly worse Friday morning. I can't thank you enough for caring, pet loss just shatters me.

88. Sharon14

They get to us don't they...

Smokey's mom likes this.
  89. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

They sure do. They own me, not the other way around!

Squalliesmom and Sharon14 like this.
  90. carfurby (GA)

I'm sure he enjoyed that extra special time with you. It is so hard to lose them, but the love we share makes it all worth it. Sending more prayers. :bighug:

Smokey's mom likes this.
  91. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

Thank for your words, concern and prayers. I hope he did :)

92. Squalliesmom

Hi Meredith. I hope you're doing a little better tosday. It's so hard, I know.

I don't mind talking about it, it's kind of a catharsis, I guess. Until I joined FDMB I never had anyone who understood to talk to. My Beezie started losing weight, and lost interest in his food to a great extent, so I took him to my (then) vet. She felt his abdomen, said he had en enlarged kidney and there was nothing she could do for him, and essentially told me I would be making him suffer if I didn't euthanize him. I had terrible doubts but, she being the one with the "knowledge", I let him go; I didn't want him to suffer. He died horribly anyway; she decided to sedate him first so she wrestled him down to shave his leg and injected a sedative, he was terrified and struggled terribly against it. I couldn't comfort him. All I could do was to hold him after the sedative finally took affect (when he no longer even knew I was there) and tell him over and over how much I loved him as she put him to sleep. It broke my heart, and I don't think I'll ever get over it. I feel like Beezie must have thought I caused him so much awful fear and and confusion. It is very hard to live with and I cry every time I think of him.. And then I found out later that he very likely could have been treated successfully, and still have had years more with me. That pain just crushes my heart. Never again will I blindly accept that a vet knows what they're talking about. I would give anything to have those minutes to do over, much differently.

Squallie is having ups and downs, hoping we're headed for more ups :), thanks for asking!

Hugs,

Lucy

93. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

Hi Lucy, thank you for sharing your story. I'm sorry it turned out the way it did, sounds like Beezie had some fight in him, but the important thing is that would you were there with him to help him cross over. Please, if you can, try to remember all the time you had with him leading up to that day. He knew you loved him and you were able to tell him the whole time..it really is a gift if you can try to see it that way. Also, repeated visits to the vet can really be the pits for cats and that may have been what you would have faced. I believe in my heart of hearts he knew you were there no matter the sedative. Were you happy with your vet before this? Big hug to you, together we stand! :)

Squalliesmom likes this.
  94. Squalliesmom

Thank you for your kind words. :) I was "content" with my vet prior to that. Once Squallie was diagnosed with diabetes we had some vastly divergent ideas regarding his treatment (she told me I was going to kill him with low-carb food and home testing), so I decided it would be better for me to move on to a different vet. My new vet shares my thoughts on the importance of diet, home testing, etc, that my former vet did not support.

Standing together always helps carry the burdens and lighten the load, thank you! :bighug:

95. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

Hi Lucy, you bet. Hope it helps. You were smart to shop around for a vet who shared your philosophy on treatment. Great decision! There is so much information out there, and it's important to trust your vet, but getting on boards like these, a lot of experienced people have valuable information to offer.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  96. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

One week ago tonight, I was feeling unsettled and worried, my cat, Smokey had been admitted to the vet clinic overnight. I want to thank each and every one of you who cared to reply, make suggestions, offer support, encouragement, and hope. Vegetable, carfurby, Bobbie & Bubba, Chris & China, Squalliesmom, Carol & Murphy, Woodsywife, Melissa 24, Larry & Kitties, Sandi & Whisper , Sharon14, and billysmom. It meant so much to be communicating with you all after his diagnosis. I'll pass along this wonderful site to all I know and I wish you and your sugar babies, remission/regulation and a good happy quality life. I should be getting Smokey's ashes back soon. I appreciate you all sharing your story. Take care and thank you!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  97. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Oh Meredith - getting those ashes back are so tough - I am glad to hear from you - we all felt your pain - kiss that other kitty of yours and hope your heart heals soon - all the best to you !!!

Smokey's mom likes this.
  98. carfurby (GA)

I know it will be difficult getting Smokey's ashes back. Sending prayers. :bighug:

Smokey's mom likes this.
  99. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

Thank you Carol, I know you did and I feel for anyone else, big time with anyone just getting the diagnosis, along with the ones who are having trouble with regulation/side effects, although I was a newbie, I got it. Kudos to the people who make a difference every day and are committed to treating their sugar babies. It will, I can feel myself turning the corner soon :)

100. Smokey's mom

Smokey's mom Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.