Newly Diagnosed-struggling

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MumsHoney, Mar 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MumsHoney

MumsHoney New Member

Good morning, my name is Wendy and my 10 year old kitty Hunny was diagnosed on 2/17. I like many was sent home with a new diet, insulin (Prozinc) and syringes. Thankfully I found this forum, and went out and purchased a human glucose monitor. I started with a Walgreens Trueresult and after seeing their readings may not be as good I purchased a RelionPrime. We started at 1u, his glucose at the vet was like 450. After second visit, still in 400's, he was upped to 2.5. I have entered glucose levels in the spreadsheet, he is all over the place, the RelionPrime definitely registers higher levels.

Changed food, he didn't like the M/D canned, been feeding FF classic chicken and turkey and M/D dry. With two other kitties, one who is on a special diet for UR, it is hard to make sure he isn't getting something he shouldn't, but I am trying.

He seems ok, not himself, sometimes a bit loopy...mostly sleeping, eating, drinking...not quite himself, but he is not super active anyway.

I have gotten one ketone (haven't been able to catch him in the act since) and it was fine.

I guess I just need some assurance that we are on the right track. His numbers just don't seem to be improving and I am worried that it has been too long. His morning numbers are terrible. It is so hard to manage all of this, with work, kids, busy schedules, but I am determined to do what I can for my Hunny.

2. Mum of two felines

Mum of two felines Member

Wendy, welcome to the FDMB! I know how you feel right now, we all have been there. You have done a tremendous job, finding us, home testing, setting up your spreadsheet, switching diet, you are on your way. Just remember this is a marathon not a race in getting the sugars down. I know there would be more people see your post if you put it over on the main forum. I will post your link over there to this one, but most people like to have more eyes and suggestions on a question. I copied and pasted your question, but please feel free to begin a new thread. When you do, I'll remove mine.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    Critter Mom likes this.
  3. MumsHoney

MumsHoney New Member

Thank you, I will post over in the main forum! I have gotten a wealth of information from this group and am happy to have the support. It is all so overwhelming!

Wendy

4. Marciegee

Marciegee Member

Hi Wendy, just wanted to echo your overwhelmed type feelings! I was totally there was Moby when he was diagnosed last year. You're definitely not alone. Moby's numbers were all over the place, too, and everything was a mess! I felt we would never be normal again! But after some changes in routine, learning how to test, just keeping it to one day at a time, and celebrating all the successes (big AND little) we made it work.

I found a lot of solace and knowledge from all these folks here and the resources provided on the website. It can be done! I promise! Big hugs!

Critter Mom and LaraB like this.
  5. Missy

Missy Member

Welcome to the board. The people here are fantastic and are always willing to help with anything. They are truly lifesavers.

Yeah I have the same problem too with multiple cats needing different diets, it can be quite challenging. You might want to look into selective feeders that open for only a specific cat. I got two gatefeeders used and I just love these things. One healthy kitty just refuses to eat any soft food and kibble is locked away from the diabetic one and the one trying to lose weight . The other one I use to give the diabetic cat more soft food because of fat kitty on a diet and she would clean out everything I put down. Peace of mind for me but fat cat is not happy..LOL

M/D dry is still quite high in carbs. Might be a factor in raising glucose levels. If kitty eats Fancy feast easily I would switch it over 100% to low carb wet food if possible.

Mine was a bit dazed at first as well. Once the numbers start dropping they feel so much better. Just take it one day at a time.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  6. MumsHoney

MumsHoney New Member

Thank you everyone. This group is so supportive and helpful. I was commenting to a friend how positive everyone is, never making anyone feel silly for asking questions, it is nice to know there are such nice people out there. Good pet owners are one of a kind!

We are taking one day at a time. I switched mostly to FF, but he does still beg for his kibble, so I will give him a tiny bit to make him happy. I have also found some canned foods that will work for both my UR kitty and my Honey. Kitty number 3 is gaining way too much weight taste testing all of the different foods :)

7. Missy

Missy Member

They are so nice and supportive here. I have had some bad experiences with message board and the people here just blew me away on how friendly they are.

LOL:cat: Have one of those myself. Making a pig of itself. It thinks it's a wonderful kitty buffet all for her.

8. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I'm really sorry to hear about this, Missy. :bighug: Sometimes I despair of the human nastiness that the internet has unleashed. :mad:

I'm very glad to hear that you're finding things much better on FDMB. Have another :bighug:. :)

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.