newly diagnosed today

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gabby, Apr 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gabby

Gabby New Member

Found out our 11 year old cat gabby has diabetes Today. A little overwhelmed with evrything. The cost for the insulin is crazy but I wanna do what's best. Lantus is outrageous but that's what vet wants me to use. Hoping it works and we can afford to keep her on it. Don't know what else to do. Overwhelmed

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB, the best place you never wanted to be.

There are 4 things you'll need to manage your kitty's diabetes:
    - You - without your commitment, the following won't work
    - Low carb over the counter canned or raw diet, such as Friskies pates. see Cat Info for more info,
    - A long-lasting insulin such as ProZinc, Lantus, BCP PZI, or Levemir - ordering Lantus and Levemir from Canada is much less expensive than in the US.
    - And home blood glucose monitoring with an inexpensive human glucometer such as the WalMart Relion Confirm or Target Up and Up (the pet ones will break your budget!)

3. Gabby

Gabby New Member

Thanks so much for the reply. Do u know of any Canada websites that are good to order from because lantus is very expensive where I live.And also my cat has always eaten dry food up til about 2 weeks ago and I am trying her on wet food. I don't know if I can just stop the dry food and just do wet and how often to feed the wet. I have always just left the dry out for her to be there when ever she liked. so sort of lost on the wet food. Also using lantus because that's what the vet recommened. I asked about levemir but he said he had no idea about it. My mother n law takes it and has plenty of extra I could have used.

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

1) Mark's Marine
    2) change food gradually 20-25% per day) before starting insulin unless ketones are present (vet checked?)
    3) Levemir is like Lantus so just say you've got a source and that will help with costs
    4) get an inexpensive human glucometer like the Target Up and Up or WalMart ReliOn Confirm or Confirm Micro (aka Gluccard 01 or 01 Mini online - just Google it)

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Gabby.....look at the last post in this "Insulin from Canadian Pharmacies" thread

Marks has been a Godsend to lots of us who can't afford over $450 for a 5 pack of pens!

6. Gabby

Gabby New Member

Thank you so much for your information. I really appreciate it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.