Newly diagnosed/Very anxious

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Silvia, Apr 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silvia

Silvia Member

Phoenix is 8 years old and newly diagnosed. He started walking like a bunny so we immediately took him to the vet and got the result of diabetes! Very worried but we are hopefully and trying to stay positive. We bought a glucose monitor and are taking him for a curve test/consultation tomorrow about treatment. Very sad to see him struggle to walk as he is still young-ish. He is acting like himself. Lazy, cuddly, playful, normal appetite, drinking water as usual, cleaning himself, and purring loudly.

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi Silvia and Phoenix, welcome to FDMB. You are going to find a wealth of information about feline diabetes and treatment, as well as the support of this community. He looks like a real sweetheart with the nose kisses and we want to do whatever we can to help him, and you, along the way.

Please come back after your vet visit tomorrow and let us know what the treatment plan is. Regarding the "walking like a bunny" that sounds like diabetic neuropathy, and there is treatment for that. Read about it here:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...europathy-weak-back-legs.178252/#post-2172382

If you haven't already, read through the information in the Getting Started and the Education sections on the right side of the Home page. Great basic beginner information.

Very best wishes going forward.

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  3. Silvia

Silvia Member

3 days on 30 units of prozinc and we are feeling so much better! Diet changed to glycobalance as well, 3 cans a day. Getting blood to monitor his levels has been most difficult. Injecting insulin has been so far so good. I just can’t take my eyes off of him for an hour after insulin for fear of hypoglycemia.

4. Idjit's mom

Silvia, you are a typical "helicopter" mama! Most of us did the very same thing! It gets easier, it really does.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/letter-from-your-kitty-to-you-during-this-time.131186/

But, I don't think Phoenix is getting 30 units of Prozinc, right? Please flesh out the signature with this information:
    kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished.

Another thing that will help us help you now that you've started BG testing at home is to set up a spreadsheet like the one we use here. You will see how the trends and patterns emerge, and members can review his/her progress before offering suggestions or advice:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/

When you get that all set up, you can post in the Main Health forum with general questions about diet, testing tips or suggestions etc. The Royal Canin Glycobalance food is a higher carb content than we recommend: 14%, and a lower carb food will help Phoenix's BG to come down (less than 10%). We have a food chart where you can look up different brands to make informed selections. Many of us feed Friskies pates or Fancy Feast classics.

I hope you have had time to look at the Prozinc forum and read the yellow tagged stickies at the top of the page. If Phoenix is getting 3 Units twice a day, that might be a bit too high, a usual starting dose is 1 Unit twice a day. But only testing data in the spreadsheet is going to help us see that. Dosing is based on the nadir, or the lowest BG level during the 12 hour cycle between shots, not the pre-shot tests.

Did you get a chance to read about neuropathy and see that there is treatment and very possible reversal of that condition?

I know this is all a lot and you are already anxious. I do not want to overwhelm you, just to provide information that I think will be helpful as you learn the steps to the "sugar dance". We all started out with the same emotions, worries and feelings of apprehension. It's new territory, and it takes time to learn those steps, but you are definitely headed in the right direction. I am looking forward to following your and Phoenix's progress and hopefully seeing a picture of kitty as your avatar. :cat:

5. Silvia

Silvia Member

Good to know helicopter mom goes away! I’ve been reading so much these few days. It’s been emotional. That spreadsheet you have is amazing, I can’t wait to fill it out. In the meantime, I created one where I’m tracking glucose, feeding time, insulin time, etc. I can transcribe the data over the weekend. Thanks for the Glycogen food tip. I’ll be changing his food soon.

6. Silvia

Silvia Member

Phoenix's fur is very soft in just a few days with the ProZinc. He is also walking better. I think you may be correct about 3 units being too high. He is about 16 lbs and his numbers were originally in the 500s, I think that's why the vet prescribed 3. However with the diet change and insulin, we are getting into the blues. I did shoot 1 unit at 140 since I'll be around watching him and he is due for a snack in about 2 hours. Hopefully I made the right move.

7. Idjit's mom

Hi again Siliva, good to see you. I am not experienced when it comes to dosing, it was an observation based on what I have read on the different insulin forums re: a starting dose.
    It does make a difference when you change the diet to lower carb food, it sure did for Idjit! The Prozinc experienced members are your best resource for dosing advice. If you are concerned about your last injection of the one unit at BG 140, post and see what they say.
    I'm glad you are sticking around keeping watch over him, we just about drove Idjit to drink at first, I think. But, testing is going to be your best indication of how low the BG is going.

Chin scritches to Phoenix!

8. Silvia

Silvia Member

Hello! Thank you! How much does Idjit weigh? Phoenix has always been pretty big. I think he may have SOME maine coon in him.

9. Idjit's mom

Idjit weighed in at just a tad over 17# earlier this month. And the vet said he had gained a pound since his last visit. I was advised to decrease his intake, and I discussed it with Idjit. He gave me the stink eye and paws down, but we are reducing the amount per meal. ( I didn't update my signature, cause I am working on getting him a bit slimmer again).
    He's a big cat, very long. One day he smelled something good on the kitchen counter, and I saw him stretch to reach his paws up to the counter with his back paws flat on the floor!

Silvia and AliceMeowliss (GA) like this.
  10. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

Sounds like you're doing better than I was, starting out! Looks like you've got all the good info already.

It's going to get easier. Even when it's hard, you will learn how to navigate. :) You've already got the first steps worked out!

11. Silvia

Silvia Member

Thank you! This has been very hard as Phoenix is my first baby.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.