Newly Diagnosed with Diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Linus, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linus

Linus New Member

My 12 year old Linus was diagnosed with diabetes yesterday. The vet suggested a diet of w/d for two weeks and will check his glucose levels. If they haven't improved, he will need daily insulin shots. I am so sad for him. I hope he feels better and is back to himself soon.

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

WELCOME, this forum is a great place to gain knowledge and really learn how to manage feline diabetes. By doing just a few things each day (that really won't take up much of your time at all), you won't need to worry about losing your precious cat, not where feline diabetes is concerned.

There are three key factors to managing diabetes: food/nutrition, home testing and insulin

1) Feline Nutrition: Now, as far as diet - definitely dump the dry food (if you are feeding any) and if the vet recommends purchasing prescription food like DM just say "no thank you". ALL cats, and especially those with diabetes, do best on a species appropriate diet that is high in protein and low in carbs. Dry food DOES NOT fit that bill and DM food, even canned, just really isn't that great as far as quality. Most here on FDMB feed low carb/high protein canned, raw bought from a pet store or they make there own.

Here are great links, the first is to a food chart put together by one of our board members that breaks down the carb % and protein % of most of the commercial brand foods. You want to keep the carb % below 10% and around 7% is great. The other link is to a site by a vet "Dr. Lisa DVM" ... who also posts on this board from time to time ... there is in-depth info. there about many things, including nutrition and how to make raw food.

http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=115

The good thing with feeding your diabetic cat this way, is that it is ALSO good for any non-diabetic cat too. All your cats can safely eat the same food without worry and it may save you some costs and headaches of having to do separate feedings and keeping track of what they are eating.

2. Home testing: It is impossible to convey the value of testing your cat's BG (blood glucose) level at home. Some vets will "suggest" this, but most won't even mention it. They will send you home with insulin and an amount to shoot and maybe some instructions about hypoglycemia (blood sugar dropping to a dangerously low level).

Well, the thing is, human diabetics don't EVER give themselves insulin without checking there BG to make sure it is safe to do so, so why shouldn't it be the same for our kitties. Here on FDMB it is. You will notice that the vast majority of people here test their cat's BG at least 2x/day (before giving each shot to make sure the level is safe enough) and periodically at other times to see how the cat is responding to the current dose. We use a human glucometer, test strips and lancets - which are all very readily available and easy to use.

Our kitties get lots of love and treats for "putting up" with this and most of them actually come out to be tested on their own 'cause they want those treats . Here is a collection of great links that "Carolyn and Spot" pulled together about hometesting. See what you think ... it truly is the best way to not only keep Your cat safe but also really get a handle on this disease and help him to live a healthy life with FD (feline diabetes).

Carolyn and Spot's Hometesting Links: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=287

3. Insulin: There are several types of insulin available. Many people, myself included use Lantus or Levimer both of which are great insulins. They are gentle insulin and given twice (BID) per day in 12 hour increments.

Please read up on the insulins available, here is a link to the Insulin Support Groups:

http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewforum.php?f=5

However, one caveat and again this shows how these three things are inter-related:

If you are feeding dry food or even a high carb food, BEFORE removing these foods, please make sure of your insulin dose as it will most likely need to be reduced, so as to avoid a possible hypoglycemic situation due to the removal of the dry/high carb foods that will lower the BG’s and reduce the amount of insulin required. Again, another reason why home testing is important.

I know this all seems like a lot, and that's because it is ... there is a learning curve here. But as long as you are determined and keep at it, you will have it down before you know it and you'll be seeing the results in Your cat' overall health and happiness. Ask all the questions you can think of - that's why we are here!

Also, if you haven't done it yet, take the time and fill out your profile. It will help when others come on and read this. Also, let us know where you live - city/state as there are probably people in your area who can provide on the ground support and help you to learn home testing, etc.

3. Linus

Linus New Member

Thank you so much for the information!
    I had no idea cats could develop diabetes. I can only imagine how bad he has been feeling lately.

4. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

First things first.... prior to worrying about insulin and hometesting, let's deal with the diet issue. Your vet has suggested WD which is one of the worst foods he could suggest. It is based on old school thinking of using fibre to help slow the absorption of insulin. It is very high in carbohydrates and will not help your cat's blood glucose levels one bit and may even make them worse. Think of it in human terms - human type II diabetics limit carbs, not increase them.

Sometimes a diet change (a proper one) is enough but usually cats will need insulin, even if just for a month or two. Others need insulin for a lifetime. But don't despair, diabetes is totally treatable.

Consider telling us more, like what food your cat was on, what symptoms, and even your general location. And in the meantime, you need to read the faq found on Janet's website http://binkyspage.tripod.com/

Jen

5. Linus

Linus New Member

Linus likes his breakfast about 4:30 each morning. :) His diet was Science Diet dry food and a half of a can of Fancy Feast in the morning and half in the evening around 6:30. I live in Southeast Texas, Linus stays indoors at all times. He has always been a healthy weight, the last visit to the vet in August he weighed 12 lbs. Over the last month Linus started eating, drinking and urinating more. I also noticed a weight loss and he seemed to be more interested in laying in another room alone than cuddling in a lap like he usually did. The vet said his glucose level was 500 and suggested a two week diet of w/d only. I got both dry and wet in an effort to maintain the routine he was used to. I have been reading that no dry food is good and am thinking I should only use the wet food. The vet wants to see him in two weeks and says most likely he will need insulin shots but we will wait and see what his glucose levels are.

6. Jen & Squeak

What are the chances of us persuading you to give it one week max, and during that time use ketostix to test for ketones? Ketones are a biproduct of fat burning which can happen with an untreated diabetic, and it can lead to a life threatening condition...

7. Linus

Linus New Member

I have been looking at home testing kits and thinking that I need to get one and start testing him. I feel bad that I didn't take him to the vet sooner. Also, since the vet told me that it didn't matter if I got the wet or dry food and from what I have read today I should only be using the wet food, I am considering changing vets!

8. Jen & Squeak

Well, your vet definitely doesn't understand diabetes, so if you have the option of getting a second opinion I would do so immediately. To deny the role that food plays is...well...ignorant. And hometesting would be great and will help you get a much better picture of what is going on. Good for you :)

9. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

Welcome... sorry you have to be here but you'll be glad you found this place.

Most vets are not up to speed on Feline Diabetes yet. Don't write your vet off just yet. If you like him and he will work and learn with you, you might be able to have a great treatment plan for LInus and be able to pass on the information to your vet for other patients - saving more cats.

If Linus will eat low carb wet food, ditch the dry food completely. If he's picky, then try to change him over in a matter of days... I doubt the BGs will lower on a dry food... but many people have seen a huge improvement in a week or two with a diet change. Have you seen the canned food charts?

There is a lot of information on this page Nutrition & Diet Links - in particular, the Janet & Binky food charts and Dr. Lisa's website on species appropriate diets.

You may still need to use insulin, but by changing the food to the right food before using insulin, you'll be ahead of the game. Home testing is a great way for you to see how the food affects Linus... so learning to home test now, just in case you have to use insulin, would also be very pro-active and helpful for you.

Best of luck... please keep us posted and ask and read and ask and read.

10. Jean and Megan

Jean and Megan Member

You said that Linus ate some Fancy Feast before the diabetes diagnosis. What flavor(s) did he like? There are plenty of good Fancy Feast flavors, so you might be halfway to fixing the diet issue already.

11. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome! We have all been where you are, overwhelmed, scared and sad. Things will get better, you will become more informed, and you will help Linus so much with your new knowledge. It sounds like you are already off to a great start by finding this place, realizing he needs to eat wet food, and wanting to home test. :) That is awesome!

You've already gotten some really good advice, so I won't pile more on. ;) I just wanted to comment about your vet and echo what Vic said. Obviously it's personal preference if you switch or stick with your current vet, and how long you've been there, and your feelings about the vet in regards to everything else he's done for you and your kitty(ies). Like she said, if you feel that you can stick it out and that your vet would be open to learning, then I think it's worth it to give him another try. My vet prescribed Buzz Purina DM, and also said that we could use either wet or dry, our choice. I came here and found out what I should really be feeding her. I am still with my vet, despite this obstacle and a few more, because she listens and works with us and knows that we are fully committed to managing all our pets' health in the best way possible FOR THEM, not for us. It took some work on my part to get her to that point, though. ;)

Staying with your vet might not be the right choice for you, and that's okay. Just don't do a knee-jerk reaction solely based on your vet's misinformation regarding food. :)

Read all you can and ask every question that comes to mind. We're here to help!

12. Linus

Linus New Member

Thanks!
    I don't have to explain to anyone reading these posts how much I do love him! It's amazing how a pet can touch your life so deeply.
    Linus will have no problem eating only wet food, I'm sure. I have used it as his "treat" and he knows when it is time for it. I'm sure he won't miss the dry food at all.
    I am trying to not be too emotional when making decisions. I will stick with the vet, feed Linus only wet food for the next two weeks, check his glucose at home and then see what the vet says. I want to check his glucose so I will know if I need to take him back to the vet before the recommended two weeks. I would hate to wait two weeks to find out that more damage occurred during that time.
    I'm so happy to have found this site. I have never posted on sites like this. It's comforting to "talk" to others who are going through the same experience or have already gone through it and have good advice. I will keep you posted.
    I'll also add a picture of Linus. I think he is very handsome!! :)
    Thanks again.

13. Jen & Squeak

Sorry if I sounded hasty; I do hope you can work with your vet but don't be afraid to look around

And good on you for being proactive!!

14. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Two weeks of trying the diet-thing is perhaps on the long side of how long you should try that.

If you do not see really good results in 4-5 days, you might want to go back to the vet
    sooner and start a little bit of insulin.

The sooner you get him on insulin (if diet does not get his BGs down to normal), the better
    chance you have of getting him into remission.

Not all cats can be diet controlled or put into remission. But cats treated earlier have a better
    chance of getting there.

Re starting insulin: Please START LOW & GO SLOW. That means start at a LOW dose (1 unit 2x /day),
    and raise the dose ONLY if indicated by BG testing (preferably by YOU at home). Wait at least a week before
    raising the dose (if necessary), and then only by 1/2u - 1u at a time.

These next few days are the time to learn home BG testing. It will give you needed practice and also
    see how the diet change is going.

15. Pam and Layla

Pam and Layla Member

Hi, I just wanted to welcome a fellow Texan!

You are reading and getting advice on testing and diet so I won't add to the advice.

I would, however, urge you to start treatment with insulin sooner rather than later, especially if Linus is starting to hide a little, or not act himself. This, to me, indicates he's been diabetic for some time now.

Please keep us posted and best of luck to you both.

Pam & Layla

16. Linda and Crash (GA)

Linda and Crash (GA) Member

Welcome Linus' Mom! You're on a great site. Read all you can on here and the old FDMB site. Your best offense is knowledge. And get Linus on a low card wet diet (you can find the food on the Janet and Binky chart on the old FDMB site). Get rid of the dry all together if possible. I'd change diet and test 4-5 days, then get back to the vet and take your numbers with you. Karen had good advice on the 'start low and go slow'. Let your vet know that you want to monitor your cat before every shot and in between too. Give him an extra snuggle for us! (((hugs)))

17. Connie & Em (GA)

Connie & Em (GA) Member

Hi there!

My Em was diagnosed in 1999 and was prescribed w/d as well. It gave her horrible diarrhea (horrible) and we talked to the vet and they said just keep feeding her what we were feeding her. My vet was pretty lax when it comes to nutrition.

Reading up on W/D I learned the reason vets prescribe it for cats is because it works for dogs. W/D is higher in fiber, so the thought is that it will empty out of the stomach slower and help manage BGs. Again, this works for dogs - mostly because they are omnivores and not obligate carnivores like cats are.

Cats need reduced carbohydrates / fiber and increased protein. Most vets who are up to date on this prescribe D/M. This is also pretty high in carbohydrates compared to the foods you can buy at your local store. Since other people have talked nutrition I won't go down that road :)

IF your vet is open to new ideas, and is interested in talking to you about different food options and home testing, then stick in there with your vet. Having a constancy when it comes to vet care is important - but only so far as that you feel comfortable and aren't worried about doing something a little different then what your vet suggests.

Remember, that your vet works for you. If at any time you feel his suggestions are orders or that you can't deviate from them, then he's abusing his power. Some vets do get a complex about how they know what is right for every situation. Most vets do not and are willing to learn with you and work with what you want to do. If you have one of those, hold onto him/her.

We would never wish diabetes on a cat, but most of us have found that because of it we are closer to our pets and that bond becomes more powerful. We've also had some great friendships formed on this board, so while you'd never wanted to be here, you'll be glad you are.

Connie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.