Newly diagnosed with questions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by LisaStew, Mar 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LisaStew

LisaStew Member

I was referred here from the Facebook diabetes page for possibly more advice on my newly diagnosed cat Bubby. He is 11 years of age and we brought him home from the ISU vet hospital where he was diagnosed 10 days ago. We have a follow up appointment on Wednesday for blood work unfortunately it is a little over an hour away. Bubby was also diagnosed with pancreatitis upon admission but those symptoms have been better since he came home. I am quite concerned about his ongoing high BG between 350 and 625 regularly for past 10 days. He seems to get steadily better but the last couple days he's been staring off into space a lot and is more hesitant to jump up onto chairs and things. I'm wondering about long term damage from the high BG. He is on .5 units of lantus Glargine twice a day. Doesn't seem to help much but when they started him on 1 unit in the hospital it was a little to much. I don't think his numbers were this high in the hospital but the doc says it is fine as he is still unregulated. He is eating Hill's m/d day now at her suggestion but we are trying to switch him to FF pate gradually. She says after he is on the m/d for one full week then we can do a curve. Should everything take this long to get his numbers down. He drinks and pees constantly but she says that is normal too. Thanks for your help. A worried mom.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.