Newly diagnosed!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by lizhazel29, Jul 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lizhazel29

lizhazel29 Member

Thanks Wendy - that's what I was thinking as well....I get nervous since he's doing so well to not give him anything. I'll continue twice a day (and more) testing. I got home and tested him (almost 24 hours post shot) and he was 174. He's running around like a maniac right now....(he gets the 'itch' and just runs).

Liz

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Liz and extra sweet Tigger!! I was talking to you on the Facebook group so thought I'd stop by and give you an "official" Welcome!!

Glad you're going to be trying the 1 unit every 12 hours for awhile. That's how we can truly see how he's doing and advise you on dosages.

Look forward to helping you learn about this crazy sugardance!

3. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Sounds good. If at any point he drops under 50 then reduce the dose again to 0.75. Otherwise lets see how this 1 unit does.

I love it when they have the crazies!

Keep us updated!

Wendy

4. lizhazel29

lizhazel29 Member

Thanks guys and honestly thank you for all the great advice and hanging with me!!!! ((((HUGS))))
    Liz

5. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Thats why we are here...

On another note, the crazies are a good sign - shows he is feeling good and the insulin is working!

Wendy

6. lizhazel29

lizhazel29 Member

He's a crazy cat anyway...Its refreshing to see him running around with a little humped tail... :)

7. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

I saw your numbers tonite. Want to try 0.75 unit instead? Do you have syringes with 0.5 unit markings?

Wendy

8. lizhazel29

lizhazel29 Member

I have 1/2 unit dose markings. I did 1/4 of a dose tonight just because I don't want to NOT shoot. And trust me, he's acting just fine...(the itches are getting him again) One more test tonight then its off to bed for me. I'll be doing a curve tomorrow since I"m home all day. :)
    Liz

9. lizhazel29

lizhazel29 Member

At 78 now....should I stay up or will he be ok??

10. Chris & China (GA)

Liz since he's on YA and won't eat wet, I think I'd set my alarm for a +4...Do you know how much he ate when you shot?

Since he's dropped at +2, (although not much..basically the same number as PMPS) it might be an active cycle.

The hard part about having a dry food addict is you can't leave some medium or high carb down and know they'll eat it. Most cats will eat if their blood glucose goes low, but with YA, I just don't know how comfortable I'd be going to sleep without getting some more tests in

11. lizhazel29

lizhazel29 Member

I have 1/2 hour to go for +3 numbers. I may just stay up and work. He's a grazer, doesn't really have a set habit of eating, though he has a nice habit of telling me when his bowl is empty even though its not... He had 3 crunchies (YA crunchies) for a treat after he got his CS dose...honestly the dose was so damn small...

12. Chris & China (GA)

I know! The doses seem so very tiny, but insulin is a very powerful hormone.

China went to 22 on 1 unit not long ago...and to 31 just a few days ago....taking away 1 drop has kept her surfing in some wonderful numbers without going too low (so far anyway)

If you haven't tried lately (and have some in the house) might try and see if Tigger will surprise you and eat a little wet food...You never know until you try!

13. lizhazel29

lizhazel29 Member

OMG he's so damn picky... I'll pick up some Tiki cat to see if he'll at least eat a little of that. He does love the crunchies though for a good boy treat. He actually has knocked them off my desk to open them and scarf them down... Little piglet.

He is acting completely normal right now. He's wanting me to go to bed, so he's sitting behind me in my office waiting patiently. He usually sleeps with me.

Honestly this is the lowest he's ever gone....I'm hoping this is the start of a good trend for him.

14. lizhazel29

lizhazel29 Member

OK, he's at 89....I'll watch him for a few hours in bed...I think we're ok though. :)

15. lizhazel29

lizhazel29 Member

Hi gang - update on Tigger - he's been in the low to mid 100's since starting 1 unit. I'm so glad he's evened out!!! What would be my next step? I would ask on FB but honestly the feed gets bogged down. :)

Liz

16. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.