Newly diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Eddyfin, Aug 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eddyfin

Eddyfin New Member

I hope I'm doing this right. I'm not familiar with message groups, threads, posts etc. But I do need help and information. My elderly cat was just diagnosed. I'm just figuring out feeding times and injections and all that stuff. The vets said nothing about home testing, but I have an appointment in a week. I have a very active dog and another cat who is deaf and has mega colon. My husband passed away a year ago, and I'm feeling overwhelmed trying to take care of all the pets myself. Especially with this diabetes. So I'm glad I found this place.

2. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB. We are glad you found us. Please let us know what your questions are and we will be happy to help you so you can give the best care possible to your cat. :cat::)

I felt very overwhelmed also when my Radar was first diagnosed, but in the months since then I've learned so much and have helped my little guy so much thanks to the kind and helpful people here who have a vast amount of experience and knowledge. Hang in there and ask lots of questions. :)

3. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Hi Eddyfin and welcome. You've come to the right place. How old is your cat and when was he/she diagnosed? Which insulin and dose are you giving? What food are you feeding? It will help to put that information in your signature on your profile page.

Home testing is a must while giving insulin. There are lots of great tips, videos and suggestions on the home page and from members here.
    You'll find testing at home will likely result in lower BG (blood glucose) #'s than at the vet because cats tend to be stressed at the vet.
    Home testing is very important to determine the correct dose of insulin to give and to help monitor BG #'s from going too low or too high. We have many expert members who will be able to assist you.
    You'll also find by home testing and doing curves, you'll be saving money and time by not having it done at the vet and you'll be getting more accurate BG numbers.

Another important must is diet. It is crucial your cat is on a low carb wet (canned) diet under 10%. Here is a link to a cat food nutritional chart: http://www.catinfo.org/docs/FoodChartPublic9-22-12.pdf

If your cat is eating dry food, now is a good time to wean him/her off the kibble. Click on this link to find out about transitioning a kibble addict off dry food (look in the right-hand column):
    catinfo.org

Ask any questions; we're here to help.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.