newly diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by dsparnicht, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dsparnicht

dsparnicht New Member

We just had our cat, Wind, diagnosed this morning. I did a quick Google search to get an idea of what we were in for and was glad to find this site. I will admit I was a bit shocked to see it is going to be so much of a challenge but she is a dear pet and family member and we are ready to do whatever it takes to keep her healthy and happy. I may need a lot of guidence and possibley some "rant" time to vent frustration and I so glad to have a great tool like this web site to help me.

2. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Welcome! Feline diabetes is a bit of a shock, but the good news is that it is totally treatable AND we've been down the path ahead of you so we can help. Most important is for you and your family to learn about FD, become an active participant in Wind's treatment, and you should do fine :)

Start by reading the faq, linked over at Janet's site http://binkyspage.tripod.com/ and come on back with any questions and also more info, like how was Wind diagnosed, what symptoms, what food is Wind on, what has your vet suggested, etc.

Jen

3. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

Hi and welcome.
    I did join a couple of weeks ago.
    So hello from one newbie to the next. ;-)

There will be a lot of thinks you have to learn or that you can/want to learn.
    In all of this: don't forget to take also good care of yourself!

4. ceil99

ceil99 Member

Welcome to our FDMB family and be patient with yourself. You sound like you really love your cats, so you have come to the perfect place. Get some chocolate, sit back and get ready to read. Also, remember Every Cat Is Different. (ECID) Also, remember opinions may vary sometimes on this board, so you may get different views. Unfortunately, that is human nature.
    Sorry this is very long, but there is a lot to say! Also, remember we were ALL newbies once and are feeling just like you are right now! :) OK……..breathe………. :RAHCAT

You do not need any type of prescription food or “special” diabetic food. Janet & Binky’s chart is on the top of this page! Low carb is best for diabetics. I try to stay around 10% or under. I feed Whiskas, 9-Lives and mostly Friskies. Diabetes is very treatable and does not cost as much as you would think. If you are giving a high dose of insulin and feeding dry, be careful with switching to canned food. You MUST reduce the insulin at the same time you switch to canned food.

Please create a profile if you have not already done so. It will help us to help you. We need to know what kind of insulin you are on, what needles you are using (U-40 or U-100), what are you feeding, how much insulin you are giving and when, BG test results, etc. There are many people on this board from all over the world, so it will be helpful to know what area and time zone you are in. :coffee:

Remember that your cat is YOUR cat, and YOU are paying your VET to help you take care of him; diabetes was probably a day or two worth of notes when the vet was in college; it is probably NOT a day-to-day existence with his own cat trying to maintain a quality of life. Sorry to say, but I would have overdosed my guys on insulin if I followed my vet's advice. Vets, unfortunately are not as knowledgeable as they should be on diabetes. I try and make my points to my vet with my opinions about MY cat, but if he refuses to listen, I say thank you, you have had a lot of schooling, smile and then do what I know is best for my cats myself.

Sometimes, as I did, you have to take a leap of faith and trust these people on this board who deal with diabetes day in and day out. Trust me. You will not be disappointed. OK………..breathe again……….get some chocolate…….. cat_pet_icon

Also, please realize that it takes insulin about a week to settle. START LOW AND GO SLOW!! The usual starting dose from our experiences is 1u twice a day for at least a week. Insulin in cats is NOT and I repeat NOT based on weight. This is a misconception that a lot of us have gotten from our vets here. pc_work

You have to be patient, as I also had to learn!! Do not adjust the dose upwards based on one test. Don’t freak out based on one test result. As long as the levels stay on the high side, keep the same dose twice a day for at least the initial week period and you should see improvements. When you have some time (hee hee), read my profile.

If you are not hometesting already, you really need to start!! Hometesting is VERY important. Think of it as a human diabetic does. *If it were you or a child of yours, you'd be testing blood glucose levels at home prior to each shot; you'd be working with your doctor to determine a proper dose based on those shot results, correct?* Some vets do not agree with hometesting and I cannot for the life of me understand why. Most vets, sadly are not knowledgeable enough in feline diabetes. Insulin is a VERY powerful drug and you NEED to hometest before giving a shot. This is very important. The vet would rather have you bring the cat to them, stress it out more, which may spike the levels anyway and then they can charge you $$. Hometesting saved me a lot of money and it is VERY important for you personally to know the cat’s levels and how it is reacting to the insulin before you shoot so you do not pass up your ideal dosage.

Thanks to everyone's help here I learned to home test 2 cats and they both got off insulin within 3 weeks with diet change…but of course, they reacting both DIFFERENTLY with the process. If I can do it with 2 cats twice a day (and more on curve days), ANYONE can do it. It does NOT hurt them as much as you think it does. It just stings for a moment and then it is gone, you can try it on yourself. Also, put pressure on the ear after poking and it should minimize the nub. They won't mind it once they start feeling better. I use the True Track meter (CVS or Walgreens brand) which I love. And, the strips are also reasonable. Also, remember to give them a treat after the test. Here is a link to a member videos on hometesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zE12-4fVn8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ6iXetR398

I would not feed DRY food if at all possible. Of course, it is better than nothing – you MUST get them to eat if you are giving insulin, but if there is any chance, get them off the dry. I took my guys off dry and within a month they were off insulin. Again, remember that switching from dry to wet can cause a drop in blood sugars, so you MUST reduce insulin at the same time to make sure you are not giving too much insulin. I truly believe also that I saved some of my many others from developing diabetes. I also saved so, so much money changing them all to regular canned cat food.
    When Blackie and Jackie got diagnosed, I was afraid to start shots. The people on this board made me realize it was no big deal. (They went on PZI insulin around 3-25-06 and went off on 4-18-06! :) Please also realize that diet plays a BIG, BIG part in insulin needs. I switched my cats off dry food to all wet and I was never so happy. It was a challenge to try to regulate 2 cats at once.

Welcome to the Sugar Dance. flip_cat
    Welcome to the Vampire Club.

If I can do it, ANYONE can!!!
    It does get easier. Trust us.

You need to test BEFORE you shoot. It usually goes: Test, Feed, Shoot

There's a saying something like "better the sugar level is too high for a day than too low for a minute".

5. Connie & Em (GA)

Connie & Em (GA) Member

you are so totally in the right place :smile: Welcome

Read, ask questions, rant, eat chocolate, drink wine (if you are so inclined on the last two, if not choose your own vice of choice :D )

None of us ever wanted to be here, but we are ever so glad we found it

Connie

6. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome.
    I am a "Newbie" too. Here for since November/09.

You are in the right place. You can learn a lot here and have terrific support.

7. VictorsMom (GA)

VictorsMom (GA) New Member

Welcome aboard! You're probably already overwhelmed with information, so I won't add too it -- just know that you'll find a great bunch of knowledgeable folks here, so don't be afraid to chime in and ask questions. Diabetes is overwhelming at the first diagnosis, but in the scheme of things -- it's a really easy disease to treat ;)

8. kam.stevenson

kam.stevenson New Member

I adopted a sweet old cat from the humane society several months ago because I wanted to give a senior animal a home. He quickly became a much loved member of the household but it quickly became apparent with his lethargy and thinness that he wasn't well. I suspected thyroid issues but the vet has diagnosed him with diabetes. I'm intimidated by having to give him shots and kind of shocked by this new responsibility. The cost of the insulin, syringes and very expensive food (DM Purina) is a concern but after viewing this message board, I'm feeling more positive. I'm determined to be proactive for this little guy...We've both survived the first two insulin shots and he doesn't seem to hate me . I'm a little scared of what lies ahead for us but excited to hopefully experience seeing "Charlie" active and happy for the first time. Did anyone else feel this apprehension about facing all of this?
    Karen and Charlie

9. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

Re: newly diagnosed--Hi Karen

welcome Karen

oh yes, scared and nervous and terrified are all comletely normal at first. but in a couple weeks, you'll be doing this stuff in your sleep and wondering what you were so scared about.

glad to have you on board and if you'd like to start your own thread up top, just click New Topic and do so. that way everyone knows you're here and gets you any help you need

10. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

gingerand((calliope))(GA) Member

Hi. We all know the shock of finding out that our precious felines are sugar kitties. I cried and cried and was so upset, but after I came here and realized the support system and all the knowledge and experience of the other pet parents with FD on this board, I knew there was a light at the end of the tunnel.

Read what everyone writes and read what is suggested. It seems like a lot, at first, but in the big picture, it's not. It's just that we are all upset and stressed out when we are learning. It will come together for you just like it did for the rest of us. You'll see!

11. dsparnicht

dsparnicht New Member

Thank you so much for all the great advice and kind words, it is a bit overwhelming right now but will get in the swing of things. Update is that Wind has been dehydrated, constipated, etc, Vet is having hard time getting blood from her. We go back on wednesday but in the mean time have insulin to last until then and they told us to us a regular glucometer and test on her ear. I will try to get online later and post a pic and such.
    Thanks again to everyone!! :smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.