Newly diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Janey, Apr 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Janey

Janey New Member

Our Gretal is 13 years old and just diagnosed with diabetes. Not sure on where we are going with it yet as have to visit the vets Monday to sort everything out. Feel quite scared about what we have to do but will get over that to sort her out. Looks to be some very good info and help on here am sure we are going to find it very helpful

2. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

Hello, this is Smiffy who is 14 and has just been diagnosed with Diabetes ... we are going to see the Vetenary Nurse on Monday to be taught how to use the insulin pen and go through the changes in diet we are going to have to make for her ..... I am new to this site so would welcome any advice .... a shorthand introduction to what treating her diabetes might entail with a shortlist of the abbreviations that are used would be useful to like 'BG' - have no idea what all these mean..... thank you in advance for your advice

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome Janey and Gretal and Looby and Smiffy. Sorry your kitties have been diagnosed with diabetes, but you've come to the right place. There are lots of wonderful people here to answer any questions you may have.
    Looby, you may want to start a thread on the Health forum with all your questions.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/
    In the upper right hand you'll see 'post new thread' just click on that.

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Looby, some how you piggyback on some elses. You should start you own thread so there is no confusion.

5. Korynn

Korynn Member

Welcome to this site. I'm new and understand how you feel. We just found out about our cat (Desi) about three weeks ago. This is a wonderful resource, although I don't understand all the machinations of it. We got the diagnosis right before going on a vacation so just put him on a better diet and hoped for the best. Now we are starting insulin. It seems to be a bigger deal for me and my husband than it is for him, that's for sure! Testing his blood is not as scary as it sounds and he acts like he can't even feel the tiny needle for the insulin (and it's just a tiny amount that's injected). Hope you find what you need on the site; I bet some seasoned folks with steer you well. Good luck!

6. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

Thanks .... I am having trouble finding my way aroud the site too and even the profile picture of our cat Smiffy I think is called Looby which is my name and not hers - have to check that again ..... sounds like you are taking it all in your stride - are you in the UK .. what food did the Vet give you for your cat? Is our cat Korynn or is that your name?! I think our vets are going to put us on a dry Hills prescription diet m/d I should think .... Smiffy will certainly not eat wet food as she never has done in all her 14 years which is a shame as apparently wet food is good for the keeping their fluids up and therefore good for the kidneys but I don't know if that is true?

7. Korynn

Korynn Member

My name is Korynn - my cat is Desi. I think the profile photo is typically of one's cat but the name is the owner's. Our vet recommended Purina DM canned food but I have learned on this site that there are tons of other equally good and less expensive alternatives. I am not in the UK. I'm in Portland, Oregon, USA. I have definitely seen posts about food in the UK; I'll search for some for you and share them with you. Hang in there!

8. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Sounds like you need this! :)

FDMB Jargon Buster

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.