Newly Diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Becmom45, May 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Becmom45

Becmom45 New Member

Hi,
    My boy, Moo, was diagnosed last week. I have shed many tears since that day. He is 7 years old and has had such a tough life already. I worry about being able to manage his care. Our vet said that some people choose not to treat their pet due to cost, but I can't imagine not treating him. We also have his sister, Sadie (they are not true brother and sister but have been together almost from kittenhood). My daughter found a holistic vet and thinks I should contact him. Like I said, I am pretty scared with the changes.

2. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

Hello and welcome. A lot of diabetic cats live a long time and pass away from something other than diabetes when they are well managed. I am not sure a holistic vet would be able to treat diabetes. Please do not be scared. I knew it is a lot to take in but this forum can help you manage his diabetes, and get cheaper supplies and food to do it as well. Post over here and we can help you http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

Sarah Smith likes this.
  3. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

Welcome to you and Moo! I know this is a scary diagnosis but it is very treatable!

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

Welcome! I too was really scared at first and almost had a nervous breakdown till I found this forum.
    My kitty Fritz is not in remission yet but we are working at it.
    FD is treatable. There are so many caring people that will help you every step of the way.

Jan Radar (GA) and Critter Mom like this.
  5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.

Learning to home test will help you keep your cat safe and reduce vet costs from taking the cat in for curves.
    Feeding over the counter, low carb, canned food instead of pricey 'prescription' food will help save money (the only thing prescription is in its name!). Plus, feeding it may lower the insulin dose required, sometimes even allowing the cat to be diet-controlled.

6. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Moo's mom.

I am wondering how Moo is doing and how you're bearing up. Is there anything we can do to help you a little bit (even if it's just to have someone to talk to about your worries - we all know how scary things can be in the early days).

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Mogs

Sarah Smith likes this.
  7. Becmom45

Becmom45 New Member

Thanks for asking. I have health issues myself and have been unable until yesterday to get the insulin prescription filled. I started reading on some of the boards and am wondering now if I should start the insulin. Here's why: The vet who treats Moo prescribed 2 units twice a day of Lantus. (sp?) I was reading yesterday on one of the boards I think that his blood sugar can vary and I should test him before giving him the insulin. She didn't say that--she told me to follow her instructions for 2 weeks and then bring him in for a glucose curve. I also read that feeding changes can affect dosage. We have changed his food from dry to Fancy Feast Classic mixed with a protein dry food. Now I am scared to start his insulin for fear that the dosage isn't correct. I also read I need to rotate injection sites but she only told me to give it to him in the scruff of his neck. I am so afraid of overdosing him or messing up where it goes. My husband wonders of we are being unfair in trying to treat him and should we just put him down, but I love him so much. He is super clingy the last 3 days...needs to be wherever I am in the house and just lays around unless it is time to eat. One other thing I am concerned about is that when she did the initial testing she said his liver enzymes came back elevated. So again my husband is like, "We spent over $300 on insulin and what if something else is wrong with him?" I understand what he is saying but I wonder if his liver enzymes are elevated because when we got him 2 years ago he was very overweight. Sorry this is long and rambly...my own illness affects how I think sometimes.

8. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

2 units is a high starting dose especially since you change diet to a low-carb canned.
    I would start at 1 unit twice daily maximum and if concerned reduce it to 1/2 unit twice daily.
    Can you get the bloodwork test results and post it here? Some value if only slightly elevated are realy not a concern.
    Where do you live (general location) location? Maybsome is near you and can help home testing BG level. Doing so relieves a lot of anxiety.

9. Becmom45

Becmom45 New Member

His liver enzyme value was 71 U/L and normal range is 12-59. I live in the Twin Cities area in Minnesota.

10. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I would not be really concerned about the 71 value. IN an untreated diabetic the cat is starving gnd lever values are frequently out of the normal range.

11. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Copied from my other post:

Hi Moo's mom!!

It would be very helpful for you to start a new post in the Health Forum. I see you have a post in the Introduction forum, but we're limited in how much information we're supposed to give there and when you comment on someone else's thread, your questions can sometimes get lost.

As for the meter, the majority of us here use human meters, and the protocols we use were designed with human meters in mind, so what's important is just knowing what numbers you're shooting for...not worry about how they "convert".....think of it like taking temperatures in Fahrenheit and Celcius....as long as you understand the "scale", you know if 32 degrees is cold or hot!! With a human meter, our "target range" is 50-120

The Relion Confirm or Micro meter (available at WalMart about $15) are favorites around here because they take the smallest sample size and the strips are fairly affordable ($35.88/100 strips but available in smaller amounts). The big cost for treating diabetes comes in the strips for the meters, so whatever meter you decide on, make sure you can afford the strips for it or it's a waste.

Also, I saw that you spent $300 on Lantus....When you need insulin again, check out the information in this "Insulin from Canadian Pharmacies" thread. I think most of us are buying from the pharmacy I mention there because it's 1/3rd the cost it is here in the US

Please go ahead and post in the Health Forum and let's get you going!! Moo can live MANY more years!!...and they can be GOOD years too!!

12. Ruby&Baco

Ruby&Baco Well-Known Member

Hi Moo (and mom) and welcome!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.