Newly diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sarah and Mingus, Aug 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarah and Mingus

Sarah and Mingus New Member

Hi everyone. I am a proud cat mama to 3 cats, the oldest of which has just been diagnosed with diabetes. Mingus is 14 years old and this is really the only health issue he's ever had. Still getting my head around it all, trying to learn as much as I can which is how I found this forum and we are booked in for a day at the vets this week so the vet can begin insulin, monitor and set a level, teach me how to administer insulin doses etc. At this point it all seems a bit scary and overwhelming and other people are asking me if its "the right thing to do?" "Is it fair to subject him to daily injections?" but I am confident that I can do this, that I can learn all I need to and hopefully help him to stay a healthy and happy cat.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome. Sorry to hear about his diagnosis, but this his a great forum to help you every step of the way. You've got this.

3. Shelly & Jersey (GA)

Shelly & Jersey (GA) Well-Known Member

You absolutely can do this, Sarah! I was overwhelmed when I got Jersey's diagnosis, and my family and coworkers also questioned whether it was the right thing to do. I'm so glad I didn't listen to them. After diet changes and a few short months on insulin, Jersey went into remission. She is now a diet-controlled diabetic.

Welcome to FDMB!
    Shelly

JanetNJ likes this.
  4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

That's so great!

I have an outside feral cat I feed named Jersey. :). Are you from nj?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.