Newly Diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Roscoe's Rally, Apr 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roscoe's Rally

Roscoe's Rally New Member

Hello everyone,
    My 14 year old Roscoe was just diagnosed this week. It's a bit overwhelming. We go to our appointment today to learn all about insulin injections and the new diet abd his first curve. I adopted him when he was 5 weeks old and cant imagine the house without him.

JanetNJ likes this.
  2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Roscoe and his parent! :bighug:
    We all understand the overwhelming feeling when our fur babies were diagnosed. Might be too late but the prescription diet is really not necessary if your funds are tight. When you find out which insulin you will be using, it will help to setup your signature on the forum: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/

Are you open for home testing Roscoe's Blood Glucose (BG) at home? Is this something your vet supports? Our analogy is, we wouldn't administer insulin to a baby or infant human without monitoring their sugar levels, why would we treat our fur babies any different? Please feel free to ask any questions you have on the Main Health Forum. This is a support group for YOU and Roscoe :cat:

3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

First of all, welcome! There is a wealth of information and kindness here to help you take good care of Roscoe!

If you haven't left yet, I second what Yong said. Don't let the vet convince you to buy the prescription food. First, it's way too expensive, and second, there are much better options available at regular stores. We can share information with you about that when you're ready.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome... It is overwhelming and scary at first, but it's not sure death sentence. Many cats live long healthy lives on insulin, and many go into remission that can last month, or years!!! We can help you learn to home test, make food adjustments, and advise on dosage. You came to the right place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.