Newly Diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by concerned, Feb 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. concerned

concerned New Member

Hello Everyone:

I am new to this forum. My cat Sunny has been diagnosed with Diabetes. He is 10 years old. His blood sugar was in the 600's. I am very familiar with human diabetes as I took care of my husband for many years before he recently passed due to diabetic complications. I am not however familiar with feline diabetes. I have to travel a lot due to helping my brother take care of my elderly mother who has dimentia, and can't afford paying someone to care for Sunny when I am gone. From what I've read it appears to be doable to take care of him however I'm concerned about the cost of everything. I'm recently retired and barely can afford to pay rent. Anything extra is going to put a huge burden on me. I don't do well under stress so I'm thinking maybe I should rehome him or put him down. I don't want to but I just don't know after having to take care of my husband for so long if I can commit to taking care of a cat now at the same time as helping with my mom. My son who's had Sunny since he was a teenager, wants me to take care of him. I don't know what to do? Help!!!!

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB. I do understand the feelings you are having right now, but we will do everything we can to help you figure out how to provide diabetes treatment for Sunny. There are many ways to reduce costs of treatment, and there is also an organization that you can apply to for assistance, if needed. Take a look at the FAQs forum HERE and read through the Index. This is going to help you see more about what feline diabetes is all about and how to help your sugar cat. You aren't going to need every bit of that information right now, but go through and select the pertinent links so you can begin to get a handle on this and not feel so overwhelmed.
    There are members here from all over the world, from all walks of life with all kinds of experience that are walking this same path. We advise a low carb wet diet, home testing and documenting the testing and insulin data, we can help with lots of cost saving tips and provide support as well as answering questions and addressing concerns as you go forward.
    I suggest that after you take a look at the FAQS forum,then post in the Main Health forum so that more members can meet you and Sunny and help you on your way: HERE
    I'm offering this quote, because I have found it to be so true:
    Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible. Saint Francis of Assisi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.