Newly diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jill G, Dec 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jill G

Jill G New Member

We almost had our first hypo episode today. I tested about 4 hrs after morning insulin using a human Bayer Contour Next meter and she was reading 47. We gave her honey and food and waited about 15 - 20 mins and tested again. She was up to 52. When we went to test again in a half hour she fought so much we couldn't get any blood so we let her rest for a few hrs to calm down and kept a close eye on her. When I went to test again about an hour ago I found her at the food bowl. How long after eating do I have to wait to test again?

Ann & Scatcats likes this.
  2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

When you're dealing with low numbers, give them about 20-30 minutes for the food to get into the bloodstream

Simple sugars like Karo/honey/syrup get into the bloodstream faster (10-15 mins) but they also wear off quickly.

For Pre-shot tests, you don't want them to eat for the 2 hours immediately before shot times so you get a number that's not influenced by food.

Teresa & Buddy likes this.
  3. Jill G

Jill G New Member

My 12 yr old fur sister was diagnosed on dec. 16. Mom, Dad and I are all trying to figure out how to keep her healthy. I'm not sure what info you all need to help us but feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

Ann & Scatcats likes this.
  4. Jill G

Jill G New Member

Thank you. We'll have to work on getting her on a feeding schedule.

5. Chris & China (GA)

I'm really glad to see you over here from the Facebook group! I've commented on some of your posts there too.

Can we get you to do your Signature? (the information you see under our comments). The advice we give depends on knowing the answers to several things so we put them there so people don't have to keep asking.

To do that you find your sign on name at the top right of the page. Click and there's a drop down menu. Choose "Signature" and a new box will pop up. In that box put stuff like:

Your name/Cat's name, age, sex, date of diagnosis, type of insulin, type of meter, type of food, any other health issues or meds? and a general location.

Then "save" it and it's done!

We'll also want you to start keeping track of your numbers on our spreadsheet. When it's set up, the link will go into your Signature too. Here are Instructions on getting the FDMB spreadsheet.

If you need help with it, feel free to send me a PM (either here or on Facebook) and I'll be happy to set it up for you!

6. Chris & China (GA)

I gave you some of this info on your other post so we can give you the best advice!

7. Jill G

Jill G New Member

Great! Thanks. I'll definitely get all that set up in the morning.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Did you see any hypo symptoms, or just low numbers? Which insulin are you using? Regardless, I suspect whatever dose you are now shooting is too high and should be lowered.

9. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

It’s preferable to not put your location in your signature block. Here is a post that discusses the signature block and a few other things.

The sooner you can set a few things up, the better advice we can give you. I’m glad she’s ok!

10. Chris & China (GA)

Novolin N, 1U

From FB:
    We just tested Mitzie 3 - 4 hours since her insulin this morning. We used a Bayer contour next human meter. Her number was 47. I just gave her some honey. When should we test again? What else should we be watching for with that low a number.

She was over 400 in the vet's office the day of diagnosis. (Dec 16th). We went again on Saturday and she was way down to 79. Without asking him we dropped her back to just her morning shot until we get a monitor of her own. Today we finally tried using Dad's monitor. We go back again on Monday. I just want to have something to report to him even if not complete records yet.

11. Marie&Leonard

Marie&Leonard Member

Glad you made it to the Forum Jill ! Welcome !!How were your kitties numbers last night ?

12. Marie&Leonard

Marie&Leonard Member

Why is the location preferred not to be in our signature ?

13. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

We have scammers and hackers that occasionally enter the site. If it’s in your profile, they are not likely to take the time to look for it but if it’s right in the open, then they know your general location.

Some of these scammers are good at taking a little info and combining it with some other info (as in social media or even online white pages) to locate you. Privacy is important. That’s why the moderators and webmaster have made a list of specific things to have in your signature block and that is just the info that helps other members but protects your privacy.

Marie&Leonard likes this.
  14. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

It will help if you could add what time zone you are in. I believe that is what Chris meant by location.
    Time of day/night can sometimes be a factor. There are people from all over the globe here.

15. Jill G

Jill G New Member

I'll be filling out our info today. She's on N and gets 1 unit. Supposed to be twice a day but we're still new to testing. I just tested now ready to give morning dose and she's 305.

Marie&Leonard likes this.
  16. Jill G

Jill G New Member

Ready to do this morning's dose of N. She's at 305. Do I give the vet's prescription 1 unit?

17. Chris & China (GA)

With that 47 yesterday, you need to reduce the dose. Going under 50 on a human meter is a reduction point (and on Novolin, we usually want them to stay above 90)

Since you said you already shot the 1U again this morning, please keep a close eye on her and test again no later than 2 hours after the shot.

The high number you saw this morning is something we call a "bounce".....bounces happen when 1. they drop too low, 2. they drop too quickly, 3. they drop into numbers their body isn't used to anymore (or any combination of all 3)

The liver releases stored sugars and hormones to bring them back up quickly...they "bounce" high. It can take up to 3 days for those hormones and sugars to clear out of the body again so you don't want to see those high bounce numbers and think she needs more insulin.

Novolin is a harsh insulin that's really not very good for cats. It tends to hit hard and fast and then wear off before the next shot is due. There are better insulin's like Lantus, Basaglar, Levemir and ProZinc that are gentler and longer lasting.

18. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Jill, What insulin does your dad use?

19. Chris & China (GA)

Great question!!

20. Deb & Wink

Was thinking if it's one of the human insulins that is ok for cats, that there would be enough in the vial or pen or a leftover vial or pen for the cat to use.

21. Jill G

Jill G New Member

He's controlled through medications. Metformin and Glipizide (Glimeperide). No insulin for him yet.

22. Deb & Wink

Neither one of which work well in cats, unfortunately.

23. Jill G

Jill G New Member

I figured. Even the vet said our best bets are insulin and diet change.

24. Deb & Wink

Yes, with insulin and diet change to low carb food, some cats have time to heal the pancreas and can start to produce more insulin on their own. We call it OTJ (off-the-juice, insulin being the juice) or a cat being in remission or diet controlled.

What food is your cat eating now? Brand, style (pate, shreds, chunky, gravy lovers, etc).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.